Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mint Cottage Raheny

• 25-11-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭

The fantastic looking schoolhouse in Raheny Village has been the host to a few eateries over the years. The Thai Ruan Thai people have left the building to make way for The Mint Cottage.

Another Pakistan/Easterm style restaurant that seem to be the ethnic heroes of North Dublin. Familiar faces from Kinara in Clontarf, Okra in Howth and Kajjal in Malahide are present but I'm not sure who owns it.

The fare is similar to the restaurants mentioned above. I found the food very good, the menu is very very similar to Kinara with slight variations. It's all slightly cheaper too! I had a platter of Irish Lamb chops, potato cakes, chicken, jumbo prawns all dusted or marinated in various different spices. The girl I was with had a signature traditional Pakistan beef stew (most expensive dish at 20Euro and 50Cent), I had a taste, it was really good. The beef was like butter, the stew was spicy, but the waiter said we could have it normal, medium or mild. There is a decent wine menu with a lot of new world reasonably priced bottles. I prefer a beer with this type of food so I had two Cobra beers. We didn't have starters or deserts and we were stuffed leaving.

The good new is a Monday to Friday early bird! 18Euro for a three course meal. The early bird on offer the day I was there was a lamb dish, a chicken dish and a chick pea (veggie) dish. I forget what the starters and deserts were, but there was nan bread to go with the mains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks Sean and Shoaib, great to see you have opened another restaurant in this climate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was there the other day picking up a menu and I asked the doorman were they connected with Kinara and he said no - are you saying they are?

I'll definitely be going there if they are. I'd be a little less likely to if they were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

spurious wrote: »
    I was there the other day picking up a menu and I asked the doorman were they connected with Kinara and he said no - are you saying they are?

I'll definitely be going there if they are. I'd be a little less likely to if they were not.

There was a post deleted earlier, presumably for shilling, where the owners of Kinara said they had no association with this restaurant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for that.
    It's back to Kinara so - oh what torment (not!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's owned by the same people who own Okra Green. There was a box of Mint Cottage menus in Okra last time I was there. Pretty sure the owners split from Kinara about 2 years ago to do their own thing.

• Advertisement

are you saying they are?

No Spurious. I said in my post I'm not sure who owns it! Then the owners of Kinara posted up that they had nothing to do with it, that post has since been deleted, I don't think they were shilling, I just think they were ascertaining that they have nothing to do with Mint Cottage after misunderstanding my post. (I probably should have worded it better)

When I said there was similar faces, I am positive I recognised past Kinara staff in Mint Cottage, but I could be wrong apologies if I am.

No two ways about it though, Kinara and Kajal are superb, top notch restaurants! Great food, you should try Mint Cottage, very similar.

(Mint Cottage do delivery too, the won't do collections though, you have to have the food delivered)

Edit (Sorry for the confusion Spurious and Kinara owners, it's my first restaurant review!!)

I shall put it on my list to visit - for research purposes of course. Nyom nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is it indian food that they do?

It's Indian/Pakistani - like Kinara.
    Of course now that I go looking for the menu I picked up, I can't find it, but I remember the prices being quite reasonable.

It's Indian/Pakistani - like Kinara.
    Of course now that I go looking for the menu I picked up, I can't find it, but I remember the prices being quite reasonable.

cheers, ill have to give them a shot. im not a fan of india house in kilester or curry club in kilbarrack and have been waiting for something decent in raheny
    bilash in clontarf was foul when i ordered a takeaway from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah there is no decent Indian / Pakistani takeaway around the area, the one in Portmarnock seems to have gone downhill a bit. I look forward to trying this one. Okra Green do takeaway too, but only for collection and it's very expensive, a percentage off the sit down bill, which is still too high.
    I agree Bilash was woeful. And Food Guru turned nasty, which seems to have gone. I think they have opened up in Malahide though under a new name.

All we need is a decent Thai takeaway and we're coming up in the world like our Southside cousins ;)

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah there is no decent Indian / Pakistani takeaway around the area, the one in Portmarnock seems to have gone downhill a bit. I look forward to trying this one. Okra Green do takeaway too, but only for collection and it's very expensive, a percentage off the sit down bill, which is still too high.
    I agree Bilash was woeful. And Food Guru turned nasty, which seems to have gone. I think they have opened up in Malahide though under a new name.

All we need is a decent Thai takeaway and we're coming up in the world like our Southside cousins ;)

have you tried vietlong in edenmore? they do thai

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

God I was picking up a pizza earlier in 4star and never noticed. That's interesting. Hope the quality is as good as the Thai place (mind you I never ordered from their much as I found their menu on the limited side a tad expensive.)
    cheers, ill have to give them a shot. im not a fan of india house in kilester or curry club in kilbarrack and have been waiting for something decent in raheny
    bilash in clontarf was foul when i ordered a takeaway from them

I don't agree about the curry club in kilbarrack. They are by far the best Indian around, the most authentic and without doubt the best value.

Their deal for €15.95 I think is incredible:
    Poppadoms,
    Chutney,
    Optional starter (Chicken Shashlik is delicious and substantial)
    Main dish (Lamb Rogan Dosh is my preference)
    Pilau rice
    Nan Bread
    And a bottle of Cobra Beer!

They also have more special sit down options of great value. And the main guy there Moxoud (Spelling?) is great and always does his best to please
    A very satisfied customer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 socheallaigh

Mint is an improvement on Ruan Thai which was previous place but not a patch on Kinara

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

Thinking of heading here tonight to check it out, although got take out a couple of months ago and wasn't impressed.

The curry club in Kilbarrack is a great take away! Superb value and excellent food...

Thinking of heading here tonight to check it out

I haven't been in ages, let us know how you get on.

Thinking of heading here tonight to check it out, although got take out a couple of months ago and wasn't impressed.

The curry club in Kilbarrack is a great take away! Superb value and excellent food...

i think that place is vile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I didn't think the curry club was great now either. Mint are a bit pricey but nicer. 2e delivery charge too if I recall correctly.

Advertisement