Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

government trolls on the web

• 04-04-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I have heard Alex Jones and others like him talk for a long time that there are government trolls on the web spamming message boards. I don't doubt that this is true to some extent.

Police for example have been known to send in civilian police officers in demonstrations to act as agent provocateurs. So it's not unreasonable that they work the same way on the web.

What I'm looking for is credible sources to back up stories about government employed people spamming message boards on the web.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

whiteonion wrote: »
    I have heard Alex Jones and others like him talk for a long time that there are government trolls on the web spamming message boards. I don't doubt that this is true to some extent.

Police for example have been known to send in civilian police officers in demonstrations to act as agent provocateurs. So it's not unreasonable that they work the same way on the web.

What I'm looking for is credible sources to back up stories about government employed people spamming message boards on the web.

Is that you Jim? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Alex Jones is a conspiracy troll and has made a mint from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Of course there is.Websites like boards can be used for propaganda ie.if there is a specific topic and a load of posters agree on something it can influence other people,you can be guaranteed there is paid posters on boards and probaly quite a number of them

Alex Jones is a conspiracy troll and has made a mint from it.

Correct Alex jones is a business man pure and simple,if he was telling the truth he would be dead long ago

Correct Alex jones is a business man pure and simple,if he was telling the truth he would be dead long ago

Definitely, he has links to the broadcasting elite through his wifes family, and as for Ventura, if any of his programs were uncovering the truth he'd be dead long ago, he does a special kind of shít stirring for an american audience.I have seen a couple of his shows, their good but you just know they're playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

Didn't turn up anything in Ireland, I reckon it's a safe bet that internet is monitored here also

UK Government Plans to Monitor Social Networks, Chatrooms, and Online Games

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2009-11/uk-government-wants-monitor-social-networks-chatrooms-and-online-games

Canadian Government to Monitor Chat Rooms!

The CIA is quietly funding federal research into surveillance of Internet chat rooms as part of an effort to identify possible terrorists, newly released documents reveal.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2100-7348_3-5466140.html#ixzz1IaLtBnJw

British Government Wants Private Firm To Monitor Super Database Of Every Person In Britain
    The British Government is contemplating the third-party construction of a super database containing the identities and location of every person in Britain. The 'super database,' which comes at the hefty cost of 12 billion British pounds, would be run by one or a number of private companies and would track every citizen's Internet usage, every phone call, every text message, as well as many other transactions.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3140207/Government-spies-could-scan-every-call-text-and-email.html

Talk E wrote: »
    Didn't turn up anything in Ireland, I reckon it's a safe bet that internet is monitored here also

UK Government Plans to Monitor Social Networks, Chatrooms, and Online Games

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2009-11/uk-government-wants-monitor-social-networks-chatrooms-and-online-games

Canadian Government to Monitor Chat Rooms!

The CIA is quietly funding federal research into surveillance of Internet chat rooms as part of an effort to identify possible terrorists, newly released documents reveal.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2100-7348_3-5466140.html#ixzz1IaLtBnJw

British Government Wants Private Firm To Monitor Super Database Of Every Person In Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3140207/Government-spies-could-scan-every-call-text-and-email.html

I am fairly certain the CIA AND M15/16 are monitoring boards especially with the double visit coming up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Sometimes I wonder if there were paid Fianna Fail shills on boards, remember you could read their posts about turning corners, that the bailout would work out fine etc. Rent is dead money and so on.

Maybe they were paid trolls, maybe they were just morons. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

You also get types of posters who carefully cultivate a reputation for being the voice of reason, ie they'll frequently have a good knowledge of law or history but their arguments will usually amount to the idea that everything in place in society is perfectly reasonable and shouldn't be adjusted in response to posts that are typically written off as being a part of the loony left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

The US military actually put out a tender for a company who would create fake internet personas:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8388603/US-military-creates-fake-online-personas.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks?CMP=twt_gu

Also the HB Gary fiasco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing#Government

Here's something else spotted recently, not sure it's genuine:

http://i.imgur.com/lI7YV.jpg

Israel has been doing it for years:

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article10671.shtml

You also get types of posters who carefully cultivate a reputation for being the voice of reason, ie they'll frequently have a good knowledge of law or history but their arguments will usually amount to the idea that everything in place in society is perfectly reasonable and shouldn't be adjusted in response to posts that are typically written off as being a part of the loony left.

Could not agree more i have a few posters in mind when i say this there all for free thinking and tolerance so long as you agree with them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Getting paid to troll the internet would be my ideal job, if the govt is watching, please pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

Could not agree more i have a few posters in mind when i say this there all for free thinking and tolerance so long as you agree with them

Oh the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

Ah, you gotta be wide of those loony left nutters tho, the crap they come out with.......

On another note, dont we have a C.I.D(central inteligence department)? If its anyone its probably them. 10 gob****es in an armoured net cafe bunker under the Dail, subverting democracy and getting paid more than consultants for their patriotic duties.

Ya wont see them lads getting snipped in budget 2011 :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

To be honest, it's less of a conspiracy and more of a case of good business. Why wouldn't they do it? Chatrooms like Boards etc. are just another arm of the media and they will be used as such.
    One example i always laugh at is how a particular brand of car never gets relegated to junk status. There may be some saying X is rubbish at first but you can be sure to find a balancing post (or more) further down and from a high poster too, more than likely. This either ends the thread or the dissenting poster simply gives up. I see it happening all the time.

I often see posters saying that they are entitled to their opinion and being made feel stupid for saying that. If they don't tow the party line they are out, so to speak, on the sideline.

Or take for example the recent thread on the tsunami in japan in the after hours forum. As soon as the proverbial hit the fan with respect to the nuclear reactors i see posters getting personal and lots of silly arguments going on. All the while the worsening situation in japan was not being covered. Coincidence? Pro nuclear lobby working their magic maybe?
    "Nothing to see here folks, move along"

All examples so don't anyone get too fixated on them.
    The point being that there are, more than likely, vested interests on the internet pushing their agenda.

This isn't a bitch about boards, just using some examples is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sometimes I wonder if there were paid Fianna Fail shills on boards, remember you could read their posts about turning corners, that the bailout would work out fine etc. Rent is dead money and so on.

Maybe they were paid trolls, maybe they were just morons. Who knows?

Without doubt. The Irish economy & EU forum has 2 posters that will not have a bad word said about the EU or the FF gov of past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

So it looks like Alex Jones was right, it doesn't matter what you might think of him personally he was right in this case.

I personally follow max keiser more.

So it looks like Alex Jones was right, it doesn't matter what you might think of him personally he was right in this case.

I personally follow max keiser more.

I first came across Alex Jones in 1998 and at the time, I saw some of his first videos and they were good ,then over the years I saw him turn into a money sucking superstar in the conspiracy circuit.He drives paranoia and it's easy for him to do because of his huge audience.

He became a "superstar" after his 9/11 or imminent attack on the US prediction in July 2001

It wouldn't surprise me that because of his massive cult like following he has been given disinformation (knowingly or not) to feed the public who "think their on to something" He would be a natural target for the CIA

The perfect disinfo agent,reaching to millions and making a personal fortune for himself in the process.You scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours

The conspiracy circuit is looking like the WWE more and more everyday ,it's now a bit of a soap opera, no doubt manipulated that way on purpose

Not forgetting his famous bohemian grove video, if you really believe he sneaked in there and made a video and then sold it freely without the elite taking it off the market ,then he's doing his job right.

shedweller wrote: »
    To be honest, it's less of a conspiracy and more of a case of good business. Why wouldn't they do it? Chatrooms like Boards etc. are just another arm of the media and they will be used as such.
    One example i always laugh at is how a particular brand of car never gets relegated to junk status. There may be some saying X is rubbish at first but you can be sure to find a balancing post (or more) further down and from a high poster too, more than likely. This either ends the thread or the dissenting poster simply gives up. I see it happening all the time.

I often see posters saying that they are entitled to their opinion and being made feel stupid for saying that. If they don't tow the party line they are out, so to speak, on the sideline.

Or take for example the recent thread on the tsunami in japan in the after hours forum. As soon as the proverbial hit the fan with respect to the nuclear reactors i see posters getting personal and lots of silly arguments going on. All the while the worsening situation in japan was not being covered. Coincidence? Pro nuclear lobby working their magic maybe?
    "Nothing to see here folks, move along"

All examples so don't anyone get too fixated on them.
    The point being that there are, more than likely, vested interests on the internet pushing their agenda.

This isn't a bitch about boards, just using some examples is all.

You just have to look at the post count, if its high you can't count on it that such posters will insist on having the last word, they have to be right on everything as they know it all even though somewhere down the line their points will be shown up for the fallacies that they are. Generally I approach boards and any other internet forum with a large grain of salt for these reasons. This is also one of the reasons I kind of support white trolling as it can be a useful method of destabilizing existing heirarchies on internet fora.

• Advertisement

gibraltar wrote: »
    Oh the irony!

Where is the irony in that statement?I still take there opinions on board even if i do not agree with i let them quietly go about their business.The same could not be said for them they usually go in packs shouting people down forcing there opinion on some posters that do not agree with,and also more often than not adding insults aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The same could not be said for them they usually go in packs shouting people down forcing there opinion on some posters that do not agree with,and also more often than not adding insults aswell
    That, unfortunately, happens a lot too. I've even seen it in a scientific forum where a lads post was lambasted and ridiculed without so much as a single bit of science or maths to disprove his post. They simply resorted to abuse and fearmongering nonsense that is spouted everywhere else!
    That really opened my eyes as to who may be on these forums and what their agenda may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crazym02

I would say this is indeed true, the Government are without a doubt loving the fact that we are all into social media, because it is much easier for them to keep an eye on us. But remember this, "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

You can also hire these guys http://www.advantageconsultants.org/

Professional Blog Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

"Government paid troll" is just a term used to discredit posters on forums. Usually posters going against the CT topic. If you don't agree that the Government/Big Brother/Big Pharma is trying to control or kill you, you are obviously working for them.
    I would consider "Dis-info agent" to be the same, usually used when a poster or well known CT personality falls out of favour with the crowd.
    Not to say that there isn't paid trouble makers, but not as much as there is made out to be, more likely people keeping an eye on topics with out interacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Isreal have probably more trolls per capita than any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

There was a website and I'm sure it's still out there (just honestly can't remember it's name or web address now) where someone who was setting up a forum, or just wanted posts on certain topics or backing up same - would post on that forum saying they'd pay people $1 per post to post along a certain line.

It was also used to drum up initial support for a forum in it's early days, paying people $1 again to register and make seemingly legit posts.

I thought FG's whole online campaign during the last election was riddled with shills myself now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

profitius wrote: »
    Isreal have probably more trolls per capita than any other country.

What country? Where?

Wherever they're from, I hope they can spell properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Emme wrote: »
    What country? Where?

Wherever they're from, I hope they can spell properly.

I'm sure 99.9999% of people would know where I'm talking about. You're special. :D

• Advertisement

I think we should debate united against these users we all know, they do it to us anyway. We can reclaim boards from the loony right.

Advertisement