Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of not being straight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Any time anyone lets the F word slip, I love giving them a look of disgust as if I'm seriously offended, they always go silent. In reality I couldn't care, as far as I'm concerned, that word has evolved from being a slur directed at homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Any time anyone lets the F word slip, I love giving them a look of disgust as if I'm seriously offended, they always go silent. In reality I couldn't care, as far as I'm concerned, that word has evolved from being a slur directed at homosexuals.

Totally disagree, the F word (which rhymes with maggot) to me is never acceptable and extremely offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

daithi84 wrote: »
    Totally disagree, the F word (which rhymes with maggot) to me is never acceptable and extremely offensive.
    I totally understand why many other homosexuals would be offended by the word, and I respect their opinion, I just personally feel the word has totally evolved and no longer really means what it originally did. South Park even had an entire episode dedicated to this, and pretty much explains how I feel about the word. Though of course, it's also a matter of context, even though the word doesn't offend me, it has been used in certain contexts that have offended me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

I totally understand why many other homosexuals would be offended by the word, and I respect their opinion, I just personally feel the word has totally evolved and no longer really means what it originally did. South Park even had an entire episode dedicated to this, and pretty much explains how I feel about the word. Though of course, it's also a matter of context, even though the word doesn't offend me, it has been used in certain contexts that have offended me in the past.

For me the word has not evolved and i wouldn't want it to, it makes me very uncomfortable. Some of my gay friends use it jokingly between them, like in a play way but i wouldn't want the word used in any fashion or adopted in that way. Its just a word of pure hate to me.

This is just my opinion; everyone can allow people to call them whatever they like. I dont mind the word 'fag' being used jovially between gay people but the other f word sends chills down my spine. Just me is all. each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

For me I don't mind the word ****** so much. It's become just as bland as any of the other "bad words" for gays.

Conversely, what sends chills down my spine (ok maybe not to such an extent) is when gay people use the word "fag" to describe each other. It's a combination of cringe and disgust when I hear it.

I prefer to use the word homosexual, but then I discovered that some people don't like that word either. End of the day -- you can't win really, so just use whichever word you like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I despise the word. A gay friend of mine used it twice to call me and instantly said sorry before he even saw my reaction. I don't get it's appeal even as a term of enderment...*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I was watching a game show with my six year old niece yesterday (who was flower girl at our civil ceremony two years ago) and there was a gay couple on it. She looked at them, looked at me and said "Did you know there are some people who don't like when boys are married and girls are married? But they're silly because you should just be happy".

How cute is that? :) I'm a bit annoyed that someone her age knows that there are people out there who don't like people like her aunties, but lovely that she's so perplexed as to their "silly" opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Doing practice orals for the LC and the examiners assume I'm straight. Sometimes I'll play along other times I'll say something blatantly obvious to let them know I'm gay

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

Doing practice orals for the LC and the examiners assume I'm straight. Sometimes I'll play along other times I'll say something blatantly obvious to let them know I'm gay

there's a naughty joke in there somewhere but I'm not going to attempt it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

nozipcode wrote: »
    there's a naughty joke in there somewhere but I'm not going to attempt it. :)

Don't... :p

• Advertisement

Not really a funny thing but on a drive through a local village saw a house with a pride flag hung on top of the chimney. No one in the car really took notice till I yelled "LOOK! A GAY HOUSE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Just came back home from london for christmas. Throws on my spotify while cleaning the kitchen and my mum starts dancing and says to me "I never heard that now before. So is that your new type of gay music now is it" ??? .... It was electro-house. Lol ya have to laugh :D:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Personally I find the F word extremely offensive. It is a word of pure hatred in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Personally I find the F word extremely offensive. It is a word of pure hatred in my opinion.

I dont get the context?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

There's another post where this is being discussed, perhaps it was posted in this thread in error, or the previous posts discussing it have been removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Christmas brings out the best moments...we were at a get-together in my OH's family home today. She made up a plate of food, brought it into the living room to me and asked me if I wanted a cup of tea or coffee. When she walked away her aunt turned around to me and said " huh...I assumed you were the girl in that relationship." The whole room died :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Was getting ready with family to go out ages and ages ago and I was deciding what to wear and holding everyone up.

Mam: "Nemo, are ya sure you're not.....?"
    Me: "Nope."
    Mam: "Right, so you're bi then...?"
    Me: "Bingo."
    Mam: "Grand so, knew it!"
    *Mam goes back downstairs*
    Mam: "Nemo----? FECKIN' HURRY UP!"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Niemoj wrote: »
    Was getting ready with family to go out ages and ages ago and I was deciding what to wear and holding everyone up.

Mam: "Nemo, are ya sure you're not.....?"
    Me: "Nope."
    Mam: "Right, so you're bi then...?"
    Me: "Bingo."
    Mam: "Grand so, knew it!"
    *Mam goes back downstairs*
    Mam: "Nemo----? FECKIN' HURRY UP!"

:pac::pac::pac:

And is that how you came out to your mum!! (First ever person even?) Thats hilarious. Short, sweet, to the point and opportunistic!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was outside my local having a smoke and chatting to someone. Down the footpath were two young guys coming towards us. They were wearing glowing white tracksuits, strutting, had multiple bottles of vodka in their hands and were coming straight for us. They walked up to us, I tensed up a bit and the inevitable, "Do you have a fag?" is asked. We both say no, our tobacco is in the bar. They stayed, and started asking for a smoke.

I'm trans but don't pass, especially if you hear me speak. Anyway, after about thirty seconds of them asking for a smoke, one of them notices my hands.

"Why are your nails painted?"
    "I'm trans."
    The other guy, "Your nails are painted?"
    "Yeah, I'm transgender."
    I show him my hands.
    "What does that mean?" one asks.
    "She's a woman," the other says.
    "Were you always like that?" The confused one asks.
    "I suppose I was," I say.
    The more clued in one rubs my belly (I have a big belly) and smiles at me as he gets his smoke off the guy I was talking to.
    "You look good," he says.
    They go to leave.
    The confused one says, "I don't get it" and they walk away.
    The last thing I hear is, "She's one of them bisexuals." And I go back to my seat thinking of how far acceptance has come in modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Something I've noticed is there are some people that will like you more once they find out you are gay. I was out one night meeting a friend. Unknown to me she brought another friend. She introduced me and that was it, her friend was really dismissive and barely said another word to me the entire night (got a few dirty looks though). It later came up in conversation I was gay and her friend turned around excitedly and squealed "omg your gay" Suddenly I was her best friend. She was all over me the whole night asking me kind of inappropriate questions and thought it okay if she listed all my feminine qualities (i've feminine hands apparently). She also got very touchy feely with me (i'm not a touchy feely person). Of course she had decided we must go shopping together sometime...clearly paying no attention to what I was wearing :P Anyway at the time it was really annoying but now I guess its pretty funny that in this day in age you have to worry more about people liking just because your gay rather than hating you.. This kind of thing happens a lot actually but that was definitely the most extreme example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Alienigenis

Not hilarious as such, but still makes me laugh.

See, I'm a gay trans guy, and I recently came out on good aul Facebook. Now, I expected a whole slew of comments from my not-so-supportive family, when my cousin was just like
    "Jackson Mississippi, my little marshmallow!"

Jackson is what I call myself, but the rest? I have no clue! xD

In the office a few people were having the bants until one said something along the lines of "It's not as if I'm gay or anything". Que gasp and look in my direction. When I chuckle they all chuckle, with one saying "Oh as long as you're okay with that".

#power

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Hmm, not sure I'd be OK with that to be honest. I guess it depends on context but if it had been used as a diminutive I'd be pissed off, were these friends or colleagues?

Yeah my phrasing was poor. Friends. I think they were being overly PC about the comment and I brushed it off which let them be at ease! Not an offensive remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Arrived at a well known restaurant in Dublin 15 the other week with my boyfriend to mark my birthday. The manager greeted us and asked were we waiting for our ladies. I said "that would be a long wait so a table for two please"

While it was amusing, I did find it slightly surprising that he'd assume that we couldn't just be 2 guys going for dinner together...regardless of our orientation.

Basically any awkward conversations around present buying for Christmas.

"Oh is this for your girl friend?"
    "No, no. My sister in law."
    "Ooooooh! Won't your brother be suspicious?" *nudges and winks*
    "Yeah he would be, considering I'm gay and all"
    ".......that'll be €20 please..."

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Was at house party with my friends over New Years,, and I went into a backrooms to be away from the noise for a bit. In comes one of the girls and she starts getting changed in front of me. Before I know she's standing there naked and I get up to leave to give her bit of privacy, "oh no no, stay!You need to help me choose what to wear!"

Not first them this have happened either. Yes I'm gay,yes I have boyfriend but it doesn't mean I'm going to give great fashion advice now please put away your ham sandwich!!!:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Coke's new ad actually has me in stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I was in BTs on Grafton street on Saturday with my husband. I was looking for a new shirt. I didn't realise there was a sale on until I went in and everything was all mixed up on racks. I hate shopping enough and this didn't help.
    Anyway.... there were a group of young lads, late teens early twenties (about 10 of them) who were in for the sale. I'm mid thirties and my husband is early forties. I heard one of the young lads make a crack about us being undercover guards as we walked past.

I never really thought about the whole straight acting thing before but being mistaken for under cover guards is a whole other level.
    Funny though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

brownej wrote: »
    I never really thought about the whole straight acting thing before but being mistaken for under cover guards is a whole other level.
    Funny though!

I had someone at a festival accuse me "only doing your job but ruining the buzz" as he thought I was not only undercover, but actually drugs squad.

I'm 6'4" and was wearing shades, don't think that equals Garda though.

Should have just taken whatever he had on him :P

Advertisement