Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overrated Albums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Agree completely.And two Ivor Novello awards as well now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Captain Beefheart is extremely hard to listen to . Sometimes I think he just got lucky by randomly hitting notes.

Just heard moonlight in Vermont though it blew my mind , Ill give the captain one last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I love the Captain!...but i cant stand most of "Trout Mask Replica",do yourself a favour and get "Safe As Milk",one of the bestest albums by anyone ever! he can be hard to get into but he has some great stuff,totally mad but great

I love the Captain!...but i cant stand most of "Trout Mask Replica",do yourself a favour and get "Safe As Milk",one of the bestest albums by anyone ever! he can be hard to get into but he has some great stuff,totally mad but great

Got the safe as milk album today its alot better than trout mask , plastic factory is great , Ive only got halfway through it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Great stuff! "Sure N Nuff Yes I Do" is my favourite song of his

Check this out from "The Spotlight Kid",if you like "Safe As Milk" youll like that too id say,and "Shiny Beast"! thats a good un too.....

"Im Gonna Booglarize Ya Baby"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTTuXwm2dQ&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ulveren

'Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)' is another album by the Captain I'd highly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

`Well quite basically anything by U2
    Muse: The Resistance. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE their first four albums, but this was way to commercial poppy for my taste and I found Exogenesis Symphony majorly overrated, It's nothing we haven't heard on Origin of Symmetry or Absolution.

Metallica: Death Magnetic. While it is an improvement on St. Anger (Well to be honest the band taking turns farting into a microphone for an hour would be an improvement over St. Anger) It just seems rehashed, it seems as though there's about 3 decent tracks and the rest is filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

For me its OK Computer. I've listened to it (or at least tried to) many times, and I just don't get it. I find Thom Yorke very annoying, OK his voice is alright but he often lets the voice serve himself rather than the song. Like, just sing it right? I feel the same way about Jeff Buckley (which is a whole other thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bokmurphy

Coldplay's latest offering seemed fairly over rated to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I second Jeff Buckley. Never understood the appeal, everything seems so overwrought vocally.

-Tyler

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

cant really understand all the hype around Bon Iver, won best alternative album at the grammys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

TAlderson wrote: »
    I second Jeff Buckley. Never understood the appeal, everything seems so overwrought vocally.

-Tyler
    I've always liked Jeff Buckley's vocals, I've heard vocals a lot more overwrought. But it's not just his vocals that appeal to me, it's more the combination of his vocal style and guitar style. It's a combination that works wonders.
    CUPimus wrote: »
    cant really understand all the hype around Bon Iver, won best alternative album at the grammys.
    Yeah I agree they are a bit overrated and certainly wouldn't be one of my favourite current artists. But I still think For Emma, Forever Ago and their self-titled are good albums.

Anyway for overrated albums I think Pavement's debut Slanted & Enchanted is a bit overrated. Not that it's a bad album of course and it does have some really great songs like 'Summer Babe (Winter Version)', 'Here' and 'Perfume-V'. But it does have some really patchy half-baked moments that do little for the album as a whole. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was certainly an improvement for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Anyone who mentions Pet Sounds is a musical Neanderthal. Go back to your three chord power rock albums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Anyone who mentions Pet Sounds is a musical Neanderthal. Go back to your three chord power rock albums...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Anyway for overrated albums I think Pavement's debut Slanted & Enchanted is a bit overrated. Not that it's a bad album of course and it does have some really great songs like 'Summer Babe (Winter Version)', 'Here' and 'Perfume-V'. But it does have some really patchy half-baked moments that do little for the album as a whole. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was certainly an improvement for them.

Totally agree. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is definitely their best album.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 frazzlerf92

Now let's not go crazy...

agreed tad bit of an exaggeration there! entirely agree with the rest of the list though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A few more albums I find overrated:
    The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
    Reign In Blood - Slayer
    Off The Wall - Michael Jackson
    21 - Adele
    What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye
    There's A Riot Goin' On - Sly & The Family Stone
    Red - King Crimson
    We're Only In It For The Money - Frank Zappa
    Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Suas11 wrote: »
    Reign In Blood - Slayer
    21 - Adele
    Red - King Crimson

Dangerous territory....... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dangerous territory....... :mad:

I'd tend to agree. For the most part, it sounds like a drunk getting up and singing in front of a jazz samba band at a wedding and constantly forgetting the words so he has to keep repeating them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'd tend to agree. For the most part, it sounds like a drunk getting up and singing in front of a jazz samba band at a wedding and constantly forgetting the words so he has to keep repeating them.

Ah no no no. It's perfection from start to finish.

Quite simply the greatest Irish album ever recorded. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Reek_The_Meek

Ah no no no. It's perfection from start to finish.

Quite simply the greatest Irish album ever recorded. :)

I must wholeheartedly agree with this. There is very little wrong with this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Suas11 wrote: »
    Reign In Blood - Slayer
    21 - Adele
    Red - King Crimson

Have to add my voice to the Astral weeks defence team. The "drunken wedding singer" comment is almost unbelievable! But it's one of those albums you need time to grow into. In my angrier grunge-dominated youth I would'nt have got it at all....but now it's one of those albums that freezes time for me, every time I play it. Pure magic.
    A word of support for Red - King Krimson too. Much prog-rock (deservedly) gets slated (yes, ELP I mean you!!) but Red is an astonishing album. It basically formed Nirvana's sound when Cobain was still in short-pants:) Kudos to Fripp and co.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

+1 on 21 by Adele. Totally overrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Metallica - Master of Puppets - There are some truly class songs like 'Battery,Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah and of course Orion' which is an incredible closing track, and a fantastic instrumental. But songs like 'The Thing That Should Not Be and Damage, Inc which are boring compared to the other songs.

6 out of 8 songs are truly class, yet the album is overrated? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Geo10 wrote: »
    +1 on 21 by Adele. Totally overrated!

Is it critically overrated though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

column wrote: »

Is it critically overrated though?

Well I was actually gearing towards it being commercially overrated which I think most people would accept but IMO it was also critically overrated to an extent. I mean I know it got some 5s and 6s out of 10 which is a perfectly fair score but the number of 9s out of 10 or 4 stars was way too high IMO. The album is okay but there were at least ten better albums released that year and it certainly isn't "incredible" or "fantastic" in any way... again in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

I totally agree. If someone is giving it 4 out of 5 I think they are over-rating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

Every album Rihanna releases.
    YAWWNN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

The first half of Pet Sounds is superb,then it all falls apart.It's an almost great album.

Advertisement