Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlie DVD

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

krudler wrote: »
    The Help? havent seen it yet but it got good reviews.

The help is a brilliant movie! It's not only for girls though but it definitely is worth a watch. Some hilarious bits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

if you get a guy to sit through the notebook you know he truly loves you :pac:

Nicholas Sparks wrote the original book, along with Dear John, A Walk To Remember, Message In A Bottle (see a pattern forming here lol) for a guy he's nailed the writing of chick lit novels :pac:

If anyone has been able to achieve the impossible and made their bf watch The Notebook to the end, please pass on your secret :D I reckon the reason most guys don't wanna sit through it isn't that it is a chick flick but because they don't like comparing themselves to Ryan Gosling :D

I read the book before and absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure I would like the movie but absolutely do although it is very very sappy...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LittleBook wrote: »
    Good call! I was thinking of those two but left them out because I thought, in this context, "girlie" = romance?

Possibly my own misinterpretation though ... many's the time I've argued that Aliens is a "chick flick" because the main character is a woman or that Bull Durham is too because the romance is as important as the baseball ... and don't even get me started on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon :)

Alien was originally meant to have Ripley as a man, or at least the script wasnt written with her as a female character, once Ridley Scott realised the character didnt have any particular traits that would make a difference if they were male or female they cast Sigourney Weaver and tweaked the lines to have the character as female, Ripley in the first movie could just as easy be a man the intention wasnt to have a damsel in distress type character it just went that way when she's the last remaining crew member at the end (not that she needs rescuing she manages it herself).
    Aliens is a different kettle of fish as its themes are very feminist, the whole maternal instinct thing with both Ripley and the alien queen trying to protect their children, or in Ripley's case adopted child. Aliens is one of those rare movies thats balls to the wall action but has a strong femine character and themes much bigger than a silly action film should have, its also one of the best action films ever made. Say what you like about James Cameron but he's one of the few writer/directors in Hollywood that consistently writes strong female characters, sure even in Titanic its Kate Winslet that rescues Leo not the other way around.

speaking of Titanic, something thats always viewed as a chick flick, its being released into cinemas again soon (in 3D) anyone going to see it? I will as its one of those movies that was made to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

speaking of Titanic, something thats always viewed as a chick flick, its being released into cinemas again soon (in 3D) anyone going to see it? I will as its one of those movies that was made to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

Definitely, I didn't see it in the cinema when it was released, I was going through something of an emo phase and didn't want to follow the crowd and be predictable by running to see the big blockbuster movie. :rolleyes: Ah to be 15 and self-centred again...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaaaw.. I remember going to see Titanic when it first came out. The memories. :)

I would rather peel off my own skin than watch The Notebook again though. Bleeeurgh. Hate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Posy wrote: »

I would rather peel off my own skin than watch The Notebook again though. Bleeeurgh. Hate it!

Its that feeling that all your stereotyped 'girl buttons' are being targeted and ruthlessly exploited, isn't it? :)

I detest movies that seem to be ticking a checklist of what ALL women want.

1. Damsel in distress
    2. Handsome love interest (may not be immediately apparent)
    3. An insurmountable obstacle to true love
    4. The obstacle is removed after much pfaffing
    5. Some other crap happens
    6. They get together, true love ensues
    7. Happily ever after

Gimme Alien or American Psycho any day. ;)

Giselle wrote: »
    Its that feeling that all your stereotyped 'girl buttons' are being targeted and ruthlessly exploited, isn't it? :)

1. Damsel in distress
    7. Happily ever after

The Princess Bride has all that, but its awesome so it gets a pass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

1. Damsel in distress
    7. Happily ever after

Don't forget the mad dash to the airport/ wedding for a last minute declaration of undying love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

Got out a dvd the other night ‘Beautiful Lies’ with Audrey Tatou – hands down the best movie I’ve seen in a long time, laugh out loud rom com without the cheese. Highly recommend Someone else mentioned Julie and Julia, which I had no inclination to see at all but watched on the tv recently and was brilliant, Meryl Streep was fabulous in it!
    If anyone has been able to achieve the impossible and made their bf watch The Notebook to the end, please pass on your secret :D I reckon the reason most guys don't wanna sit through it isn't that it is a chick flick but because they don't like comparing themselves to Ryan Gosling :D

I read the book before and absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure I would like the movie but absolutely do although it is very very sappy...

Well i have known many rufty tufty manly men to have shed a tear at the end of the notebook - its just such a georgous love story, who dosn't want it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah, but it has giants and sword-fighting and above all is hilarious!

I'm reading the book at the moment, some people are finding my constant chuckling annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've never actually seen that. I think the title put me off.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's rubbish

GTFO :eek:

its brilliant, one of the best comedies of the 80's, its my sick day movie, watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Easy A
    A Walk to Remember :'(
    Whip It
    Bridesmaids
    Mean Girls
    Love Actually
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Juno
    Heathers
    Saved!
    Young Adult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

its not a girly dvd but im heading now to get Parked with Colm Meaney....

Need some humour after the week....

But i did hear The Help is very good :D

Sorry if im a bit late saying this.... Parked was sh!te!!! My apologies to anyone who got it :( and yes i realised at the time its not a girlie flick,, so double apologies!!!

I watched The Help last night and omg I loved it, brilliant film !!!
    (esp the pie scene :rolleyes:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I watched The Help last night and omg I loved it, brilliant film !!!
    (esp the pie scene :rolleyes:)
    I watched The Help the other day and I enjoyed it (I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more though if my flatmate didn't keep pausing it to tell me things that were different/better explained in the book :mad: You're unsuspending my disbelief!)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

'Definitely, Maybe' with Ryan Reynolds. More drama than comedy but light hearted, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Watched Easy A last night - really enjoyed it, perfectly lighthearted comedy. And is it just me, or is Stanley Tucci quite hot in it?

valerie wrote: »
    Watched Easy A last night - really enjoyed it, perfectly lighthearted comedy. And is it just me, or is Stanley Tucci quite hot in it?

he's very funny in it, when the kid says he was adopted is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Benny and Joon
    10 things I hate about you
    Moulin Rouge
    Shakespeare in love
    True Romance
    Only you
    Nights in Rodanthe
    Serendipity
    Sabrina