Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Question

• 18-02-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Good Evening all,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an interview Monday. While doing my research I've typed up some notes, questions I want to ask, my answers to the essential requirements of the job etc.

Question is would it be acceptable to bring these along to the interview & refer to them?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Good Evening all,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an interview Monday. While doing my research I've typed up some notes, questions I want to ask, my answers to the essential requirements of the job etc.

Question is would it be acceptable to bring these along to the interview & refer to them?

Thank you

It's great that you have a list of questions, but I would try to memorise them instead of fiddling with a piece of paper in the interview. You don't want to distract them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

You could maybe get away with referring to a list of questions that you want to ask them, but you would look a lot more professional if you didn't.

Definitely don't refer to notes when answering questions about the job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

nibtrix wrote: »
    You could maybe get away with referring to a list of questions that you want to ask them, but you would look a lot more professional if you didn't.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing along some notes to remind you which questions to ask about the job, if I were interviewing I'd even see it as a positive sign that the candidate is well organised and prepared.

As for notes relating to the job description, why not just bring a printed copy of your CV and covering letter as a memory aid? If you've written them properly these should cover the reasons why you're well suited to the job. (Be careful not to sound like you're reading from a script though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Also,make sure the answers to your questions cannot be found on the company's website (e.g. basic facts about the company).

Interviewers will sometimes ask if you know much about the company. I think it is a great sign if you can demonstrate the you have taken the initiative of researching the company, but you also have additional question: this demonstrates enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

An interviewee who refers to notes is very distracting IMO. By all means whip out a lost of q's at the end, but until then... no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

3DataModem wrote: »
    An interviewee who refers to notes is very distracting IMO. By all means whip out a lost of q's at the end, but until then... no.

I agree, it shifts focus from the candidate and distracts from their answers. There's no reason why you can't memorise the things you want to ask. Script your questions, memorise them, but obviously don't deliver them robotically in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Thanks all for the very valuable replies. It's been quite a while since I did an interview so am a little rusty.;)

I think I might bring a copy of the CV & try memorise the questions.

Wish me luck

Ladybird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

BTW, what are the interview questions that you are asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I take a leather folder with spare copies of my cv on the left( you would be surprised how often an interviewer arrives either without a copy or with one butchered by a recruiter) and a notepad on the right when interviewing for a position.
    As the interviewer is talking I take notes specifically on points I want to address but do not want to interrupt the interviewer when in full flow .This could be examples from my past when I have addressed some of the problems he was discussing, This is to ensure I get these examples out as they might not come back into the natural flow of the interview.It is also where I jot down potential questions that arise from the interview.

I think it would be ok to have two or three questions jotted down before the interview but not a full typed page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If someone had a print out of the questions they want to ask me in front of them, I might worry they have problems remembering things. It would be a red flag for me.

I have brought notes to an interview before, but it was because I wanted to give a mini-presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Thanks all for the very valuable replies. It's been quite a while since I did an interview so am a little rusty.;)

I think I might bring a copy of the CV & try memorise the questions.

Wish me luck

Ladybird

Good luck.

Advertisement