Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭The Westerner

What'll be the speed limit on this stretch when completed I wonder? 100 or 120 km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

ardmacha wrote: »
    Almost. You would have to bear left at the left hand junction and then cross, as there is no direct right turn here.

:confused: Not sure what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

celticbest wrote: »
    :confused: Not sure what you mean?
    You'll have to follow the flow of the existing roundabout as the three new centre lanes will have no U-Turn on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

What'll be the speed limit on this stretch when completed I wonder? 100 or 120 km/h?

100kph I'd say - all lane widths will be 3.5m which would be very tight for 120kph. It's one thing having 2 lanes of 3.5m lanes each way @ 120kph when motorists can drive slightly closer to whichever edge to allow more room - there's no doing that in the centre lane of a 3 lane carriageway. The centre lanes on the M50 can feel quite confined in heavy traffic (particularly with trucks) - even @ 100kph.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

all lane widths will be 3.5m which would be very tight for 120kph. I

Does it explicitly say that the lane width will be 3.5m?
    I ask because the Broadmeadow bridge was designed for 3x3.75m lanes and this is the main point of constriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

what do the yellow line across the junction indicate?

Apart from the road going (north south in the pictures) is the rest of the junction on one level, is it just an elongated roundabout?

tharlear wrote: »

Apart from the road going (north south in the pictures) is the rest of the junction on one level, is it just an elongated roundabout?

The yellow strips represent at-grade (road level) pedestrian/cyclist crossings. Apart from the M1 mainline (North/South road), the junction is at just one level.

Regards!

ardmacha wrote: »
    Does it explicitly say that the lane width will be 3.5m?
    I ask because the Broadmeadow bridge was designed for 3x3.75m lanes and this is the main point of constriction.

Yes, according to this PDF (2.6MB) on the Fingal CC website, the lane widths will be 3.5m - see the Cross Section on Page 3.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Originally Posted by tharlear

The yellow strips represent at-grade (road level) pedestrian/cyclist crossings. Apart from the M1 mainline (North/South road), the junction is at just one level.

Regards!

Traffic mixing with ped/cyclist at a "rural" junction like this, looks dangerous to me.

Is it rural enough area that ped/cyclist is extremely low?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

ongarboy wrote: »
    Out of interest, has this existing dangerous right lane merge proven to be dangerous in practice now that it has been there a few months? (when I initially saw it, I did think it was a recipe for accidents but now that I've driven it frequently, there is a long lead time for merging and with plenty of advance signage combined with regular driver familiarity, are such concerns still warranted? Has there been reports of collisions/near misses etc?

it is absolutely rediculous. Its getting worse.

I don't think its exceptional to say that there are 1-2 collisions per week these days; sometimes more.

2 this week, 1 the previous week, 3 in a row the last week before christmas

fridays collision was in the middle lane, back from the merge a bit - 2 cars in bits, especially the one behind - bonnot was in a big V.
    Last week there appeared to be 5 cars damaged one of the days.

I'm actually getting sick to the teeth of it! the old way was actually better and less stress.

I think the problem is AFTER the merge. for some reason the traffic takes hundreds of yards to get going even though the volume isn't near capacity, and the inside lane is the faster one, which makes it even more dangerous as you have lads diving down both the outside AND inside lanes.
    I think the problem is that slower/careful drivers stay out of the inside lane for the Swords exit, and then end up inadvertently in the overtaking lane after the merge with lads jumping all over them, inside and behind.

(did I mention I was sick of it??!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

100kph I'd say - all lane widths will be 3.5m which would be very tight for 120kph.
    Regards!
    I'd be surprised if they lowered the limit. The main reason the limit on the M50 is 100 is not due to narrow lanes, it's because of close junction spacing. The distance between Drinan and Lissenhall is 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I don't think a 100kph limit is a big deal to be honest, it's not for very long until you pass the Lissenhall exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't think a 100kph limit is a big deal to be honest, it's not for very long until you pass the Lissenhall exit.

It sets a pattern of road improvement to achieve speed reduction. If it eventually made D3M to Ballbriggan, Julianstown or Newry will it then all be reduced to 100Kph?

Traffic moves along at 120KPH for 21 hours of the day here at present, without this "improvement".

sk8board wrote: »
    it is absolutely rediculous. Its getting worse.

I don't think its exceptional to say that there are 1-2 collisions per week these days; sometimes more.

2 this week, 1 the previous week, 3 in a row the last week before christmas

fridays collision was in the middle lane, back from the merge a bit - 2 cars in bits, especially the one behind - bonnot was in a big V.
    Last week there appeared to be 5 cars damaged one of the days.

I'm actually getting sick to the teeth of it! the old way was actually better and less stress.

I think the problem is AFTER the merge. for some reason the traffic takes hundreds of yards to get going even though the volume isn't near capacity, and the inside lane is the faster one, which makes it even more dangerous as you have lads diving down both the outside AND inside lanes.
    I think the problem is that slower/careful drivers stay out of the inside lane for the Swords exit, and then end up inadvertently in the overtaking lane after the merge with lads jumping all over them, inside and behind.

(did I mention I was sick of it??!)

First crash of this week on the first night of the week, two cars @ about 5:25 last night again just at the merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

First crash of this week on the first night of the week, two cars @ about 5:25 last night again just at the merge.

Middle lane rear-ender.... just looked like a very minor tip. Had been a breakdown and log-jam there a bit earlier according to AA Roadwatch.

Cant start quick enough

cargo wrote: »
    Cant start quick enough

+1, roll it on......

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scipio76

There were some yellow and black portacabins being delivered into a field right beside the northbound J4 off ramp this morning. Looks like it's kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Scipio76 wrote: »
    There were some yellow and black portacabins being delivered into a field right beside the northbound J4 off ramp this morning. Looks like it's kicking off.

yeah, they've siac written on em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Middle lane rear-ender.... just looked like a very minor tip. Had been a breakdown and log-jam there a bit earlier according to AA Roadwatch.

Cant start quick enough

Another crash this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Another crash this evening.

looked like the rear of the 2 cars was written off - it gave a Focus a real stunt up the bum.

I'll bet theres no-where else like it in Ireland at the moment - a 400 yard stretch of road thats claiming about 10 vehicles per week. If it wasn't so seriously it'd be comical!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

This is the first thread I have ever started so excuse me if I get everything wrong.

I noticed the widening of the M1 past the Airport as far as Drynham Junction has been completed and came upon this scheme in a list provided by the forum's greatest contributor, Mr Sponge Bob.

Past the (new) Drynham exit heading north the mainline reduces from 3 lanes to two; common abroad but the first time I've seen this in Ireland. (Usually here the inside lane converts into a filter lane, goes up a ramp and is lost).

The arrangement looked "temporary" - and this scheme seems to bear that out.

Anyone got any maps, links, pics - whatever - to this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The last few pages of this thread explains it all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055910504

Hope I'm not getting this wrong :o

The Drynam to Lissenhall Widening is from J3 (Drinan/Drynam) to J4 at Lissenhall??

(Which means it includes putting six traffic lanes across the bridge across the Broadmedows Estuary)

MYOB wrote: »
    The Estuary bridge is more than wide enough - it has space for a third lane in the centre as part of its design.

I see the issue has been teased out!

This is exactly what I was wondering about.

M1 Swords Improvement Scheme and Lissenhall Junction Upgrade

Here's the layout.

Have I created a duplicate thread? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Wild Bill wrote: »
    M1 Swords Improvement Scheme and Lissenhall Junction Upgrade

Here's the layout.

Have I created a duplicate thread? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, though one could argue that this thread is specifically bout one scheme, the other thread originally started about the initial proposal but broaden out. If you want we can merge the two. Obviously historically on major schemes we did maintain seperate threads for different sections of motorway been built (M6 Athlone to Galway etc.)

I suppose it's not a good idea if discussion, pictures, updates etc get split between two threads.

Maybe merge and change name to reflect the ongoing work is from Drynam to Lissenhall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I suppose it's not a good idea if discussion, pictures, updates etc get split between two threads.

Maybe merge and change name to reflect the ongoing work is from Drynam to Lissenhall?

Done I haven't changed the name just let, suggestions on a postcard!

dubhthach wrote: »

To : Medium Section of D3 (three lanes) for M1

;)

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »

How about:

New Sections of D3 (three lanes) for M1

Advertisement