Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lads, whether or not people might mistake the franchises or not....copyright law is copyright law.

Their hands were tied and it changes nothing about the film...except for the UK title. Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

jpcarlow wrote: »
    The name change however does make it correspond to this
    NOV111942.jpg

which will probably result in some people expecting the film to mirror that storyline...sigh

Mmmmm....Romita jr goodness. Isn't that just the name of the UK reprint edition rather than the storyline?

At least the name change is a good set up for the sequel to follow the Avengers disassembled storyline. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kess73 wrote: »
    Comic version was in the mainstream since 1963. UK tv series came out in 1961 and only took off in 1962/63. So it is debatable which would be better known by people over 40 tbh.

The Avengers comic has never been mainstream the way the tv series was in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Avengers comic has never been mainstream the way the tv series was in the UK.

Whilst not being old enough to have been around with that tv series first aired, I can say as someone of 38 years of age who grew up mostly in the UK that I knew about the comic and it's characters long before I knew about the tv show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Mmmmm....Romita jr goodness. Isn't that just the name of the UK reprint edition rather than the storyline?

At least the name change is a good set up for the sequel to follow the Avengers disassembled storyline. :pac:
    well i meant more that there would be inevitably be some people that would go "The film is called Avengers Assemble now? Like the comic book? Oh it must be using the opening plot from the comic"

I agree with your Romita Jr comment...that man is fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Just a quick comment on the name change....

Guys, get the F**K over it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hulk smash!!! :D

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

thor has been the stand out star from these movies can't wait to see him kick loki's hole in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

thor has been the stand out star from these movies can't wait to see him kick loki's hole in this
    I'm hoping Hulk and Thor have to square up at some point :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm hoping Hulk and Thor have to square up at some point :D

I'd put money on it happening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Worth the price of admission

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I hope some1 doesn't say avengers assemble cause I'll just think of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Same here it has to happen and from the trailers so far it looks like he does go toe to toe with Cap and Ironman which will be also epic although given how they've been portrayed so far Thor just hand both of them arses with the reciept :D not sure he'll do that to old Green jaws though, funny enough i'd love to see Stark break out the Hulkbuster armour on Hulk only for it to be smashed to pieces :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Name change aside, Joss Whedon confirmed a few details about the apparent invading-army from the trailer; specifically who they aren't:

(naturally there's spoilers for the super-sensitive)
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/10/sxsw-joss-whedon-avengers-cabin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

This spoilerish Lego set shows the villains (in Lego form anyway).

Possibly
    A.I.M.
    then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

so it could be annihilus's lads then ?

:)

must say from the links its an interesting idea that they propose
    the atlantians.

it'd makes sense as namor attacking new york is practialy a cliche in the MU and it'd tie into loki's more maniplative ways in getting him to attack the surface world.

theres even precedence there with bloody great monsters coming into play ala that thing at the end of the ad.

plus it'd be a hell of a set up for an eventual namor film

i dont know if thats on the level or not but its fun to say theres so much potential with the series that it COULD be true.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

its was comic book series b4 it came a tv series, avengers was created by marvel comics and its American company, Im so very sure show in a USA 1st, The avengers was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist/co-plotter Jack Kirby, The Avengers #1 (Sept. 1963)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    its was comic book series b4 it came a tv series, avengers was created by marvel comics and its American company, Im so very sure show in a USA 1st, The avengers was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist/co-plotter Jack Kirby, The Avengers #1 (Sept. 1963)

The tv series they're talking about has nothing to do with marvel comics.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Name change aside, Joss Whedon confirmed a few details about the apparent invading-army from the trailer; specifically who they aren't:

(naturally there's spoilers for the super-sensitive)
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/10/sxsw-joss-whedon-avengers-cabin/

Well I'm still sticking to them being the Chitari. A lot of the Ultimates universe has been used in the recent Marvel films, and the Chitari were the alien invaders the Ultimates fought.

Plus Wheadon has the option of tying them into Cap's backstory just as it was done in the Ultimate comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well I'm still sticking to them being the Chitari. A lot of the Ultimates universe has been used in the recent Marvel films, and the Chitari were the alien invaders the Ultimates fought.

Plus Wheadon has the option of tying them into Cap's backstory just as it was done in the Ultimate comics.

The Chitari refer to themselves as Skrulls....so that would be cheating on Mr Whedon's behalf and a film studio would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

it will be called the avengers here not avengers assemble

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/releaseinfo#akas

I kinda like Group Hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Imagine if Pixar had made all the avengers movies.....

KkQk1.jpg

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Chitari refer to themselves as Skrulls....so that would be cheating on Mr Whedon's behalf and a film studio would never do that.

No, the Chitari pretended to be the Skrull at some point in their history. Their leader in the Ultimates makes a comment about this and how the real Skrull were non too happy about it.

They are a seperate alien race in the Ultimate universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

cianisgood wrote: »
    it will be called the avengers here not avengers assemble

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/releaseinfo#akas

Just to confirm this, I saw the trailer in the cinema today and it was billed as The Avengers. Thank jaysus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure that wasn't just the US trailer? Because several Irish cinema sites are listing it as Avengers Assemble.

Has anyone seen a poster?

Are you sure that wasn't just the US trailer? Because several Irish cinema sites are listing it as Avengers Assemble.

Has anyone seen a poster?

The trailer that I've seen in three different cinemas is the US one, so I imagine that no Irish cinemas have an updated one yet. It would make sense for it to have the same title in cinemas in the UK and Ireland as the eventual DVD and Blu-Ray will be identical in both countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

God damn time is moving slowly on this one.....

Advertisement