Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing Oil Tank

• 07-03-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Does anyone know anybody who might be able to weld up a casing or some similar contraption to prevent the oil tank from getting tampered with ?

Any ideas would also be welcome :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Duster wrote: »
    Does anyone know anybody who might be able to weld up a casing or some similar contraption to prevent the oil tank from getting tampered with ?

Hi Duster i got a bar and lock for the top of the oil tank to day in glenside stores ballybofey and it was a tener probley wont stop them but it will gave me time to get the gun loaded:D i am sure any good Diy store will have them good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

The problem with putting a lock on a tank is the gulpins might then just drill a hole in the side of the tank and let the rest of the oil run out into the garden or street when their containers are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi,

The only solution is to have it housed inside a garage or shed i think personally, i am currently building a shed around the tank as I had Kerosene stolen from it about 4 weeks ago. I was sick when i realised as i had just got a fill of 500 litres about 3 weeks before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

irlpic wrote: »
    The problem with putting a lock on a tank is the gulpins might then just drill a hole in the side of the tank and let the rest of the oil run out into the garden or street when their containers are full.

put a fence around the tank far enough away so they cant drill it but close enough that they cant get in behind it hows that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

The problem is if someone is brazen enough to steal oil - do you think they would give a monkeys about doing a wee bit of damage to a fence so as they can drill a hole in the tank... i doubt it.

I suppose what I would be looking for is a sheet metal casing or something which can be locked... at least enough to stop them drilling a tank. Plus the metal would be maybe a bit more of a deterrent than a fence.

The gun idea wouldnt be bad...except for the law might not like it :D

Thanks for the replies anyway.... still looking around :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I was thinking about this recently. I was tending to favour building a block wall around the tank and a lock for the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was thinking about this recently. I was tending to favour building a block wall around the tank and a lock for the top.
    Still the option for any would be thief to drill a hole on top of tank and siphon the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

No matter what you do they will always find a way around it! a lock for the cap is your best bet they might just say move on its not worth the hassle - in saying that i once heard someone say a padlock will only keep out an honest thief!!

A metal casing is going to cost a fair bit have you considered changing to gas might be the best idea in the long term!

Another thing check your oil level right after your delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

http://www.traderswarehouse.co.uk/Silverline-security-light-with-built-in-camera-and-recorder
    How about a product like this as a bit of extra security available in Irwins in letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Yes there is this new thing after coming out a few hundred years ago called the double barrel shotgun you use to blast the fecker robbing your oil full of lead pellets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

If I were going to steal some oil I would simply snip or unscrew the boiler feed pipe which I've noticed is very often forgotten about and exposed, as is the wee glass filter cover which is also an easy way of draining your tank, not much point in locking the lid of the tank and leaving the pipe at the bottom exposed now is there?

I think myself the only way is to build in your tank . or box in your tank at least , my sisters tank is covered in ivy and causes some craic when the delivery men come and cant find it , but it proved the point that if you disguise it then the thieves cant find it. Nope the only way to ensure the security of a full tank is to build it in .

I've seen a lot of tanks with garden fencing around them , if this was constructed with sheets of plywood and then the fencing boards fixed to the ply it wouldn't look like an ugly box. My tank is very close to the ground I mean about a foot or so and you'd think it would be easy to syphon oil from it but you'd have to find it first!!,

The guards say that many people don't even know their oil is gone until it runs out , this would suggest the thieves are able to access the tank without damage or breaking locks so theirs only one thing left, the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

muffler wrote: »
    Still the option for any would be thief to drill a hole on top of tank and siphon the oil

Maybe, hopefully, the fecker would fall and break his / her* neck. Then claim off my house insurance :rolleyes:

If the tank was boxed in with concrete blocks laid flat it would take some drilling, maybe a wee roof on top?

* Oil theft is an equal oppertunity career!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Duster wrote: »

People stealing oil from your garden?? Does this actually happen? Where do you live? I've never heard of such a thing.... It is frightening. Please let me know what areas this happens in...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi Cullieh,

A steel or block shed around the tank i think is the best and most secure! It happened to me a year ago, not a nice feeling at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

A block structure around an oil tank with a roof is probably the best but check building regs first. Enclosing an explosive chemical is probably not allowed and if something happens, fire wise, your insurance will wash their hands of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Just a few ideas but I think a block shed with a roof would be the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pique wrote: »
    A block structure around an oil tank with a roof is probably the best but check building regs first. Enclosing an explosive chemical is probably not allowed and if something happens, fire wise, your insurance will wash their hands of you.

This one interests me. I have a spare room off the garage that I could shift the tank into but as you say, would this be an issue with insurance etc?

Anyone have ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

nada....zip....

Shill alert :eek:

Shill alert :eek:

How dare you I'm no shill :pac:

• Advertisement

How dare you I'm no shill :pac:
    No but check your previous post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Hi,

The only solution is to have it housed inside a garage or shed i think personally, i am currently building a shed around the tank as I had Kerosene stolen from it about 4 weeks ago. I was sick when i realised as i had just got a fill of 500 litres about 3 weeks before hand.

Be careful housing an oil tank in your shed, house insurance might prove to be null and void, it happened to a lad I know;)-check first!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I said it before, but there is probably a good business to be started for someone with the skills to build oil tank enclosures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Just curious, Can heating oil be used as diesel ? Just wondering why they steal it. I have a solution, just dotting the i's etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

four18 wrote: »
    Just curious, Can heating oil be used as diesel ? Just wondering why they steal it. I have a solution, just dotting the i's etc

I may be wrong, but I'd assume they are stealing it for the same reason that you buy it. home heating. It probably can serve other uses though.

I may be wrong, but I'd assume they are stealing it for the same reason that you buy it. home heating. It probably can serve other uses though.
    I see a lot of the travelling community have been convicted in court of same. Do caravans have central heating ? Must be the same as diesel so

I see a lot of the travelling community have been convicted in court of same. Do caravans have central heating ? Must be the same as diesel so
    Post the links please to back up your claims.

Post the links please to back up your claims.
    Before I trawl will a common traveller surname do or do you want a picture of the caravan ?

Before I trawl will a common traveller surname do or do you want a picture of the caravan ?
    Surely its "troll" you mean.

Bye for now.

• Advertisement

a.aaa-If-jokeroo-doesnt-approve-th.jpg

Advertisement