Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tor

• 12-06-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just installed Tor but everytime I try to search the search engine won't work
    does anybody know whats causing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Are you using the portable Firefox that comes with Tor ? Are you using the search box on the toolbar ? Have you tried temp disabling Tor, at the FF status bar?

So many questions I know, but more info may get you more help. I use Tor not really for anonymity, but just to pretend to the BBc that I'm in UK, to watch iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

I'm using the Tor plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try changing youe ExitNodes. I've noticed with some UK ExitNodes, that e.g. www.boards.ie wouldn't work thru Tor, I think it was a DNS problem of some kind.

Where do I find that "Exitnodes". To sum this up Tor dosent let anything through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

also be careful about using Tor.

Tor protects you from the destination web site identifying your ip address. but the owner of the Tor Exit Node can (and likely does) read all unencrypted data passing through it. don't use passwords, usernames, cookies or send data that you don't want read by a nosey exit node provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jeweliette

copz wrote: »
    Where do I find that "Exitnodes". To sum this up Tor dosent let anything through

https://torstat.xenobite.eu/

There are some good youtube tutorials on using tor. Have a search and see what you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Apologies for this but just to make sure. You did install tor AND the tor plugin for firefox right?

I've installed the entire Tor package For Firefox plugin included, but the problem seems concern search.
    ie "searching key words" Put search term into box and press search and nothing happens at all tried
    different search engines bit probably still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

https://xerobank.com/download/xb-browser/

This makes tor much simpler to use, it come ready configured as a modified version of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have just installed TOR & the Firefox button but whenever I try to use it I get the following message:

"The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

* Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

* Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
    working."

Any suggestions - bearing in mind that I am no computer expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Hi,

Can someone please help me. I have downloaded this tor thingy to watch bbc online. I cant get into my firefox since I have downloaded it. Below is the error message I am getting when I am trying to enter firefox. I just want to get computer back to normall and get rid of the Tor. I have unistalled it and am still getting these messages. When I

Please help!

Message I am getting is below

Important Torbutton Information!

Torbutton is now always enabled.

Click on the Torbutton for more information.

When I click Torbutton I am now getting message saying he proxy server is refusing connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

yomamma wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone please help me. I have downloaded this tor thingy to watch bbc online. I cant get into my firefox since I have downloaded it. Below is the error message I am getting when I am trying to enter firefox. I just want to get computer back to normall and get rid of the Tor. I have unistalled it and am still getting these messages. When I

Please help!

Message I am getting is below

Important Torbutton Information!

Torbutton is now always enabled.

Click on the Torbutton for more information.

When I click Torbutton I am now getting message saying he proxy server is refusing connections
    Torbutton is in your addons, click Tools-->addons-->click Torbutton-->Uninstall.

Edit:If that doesn't work can you link to what exactly you installed?

vvvv
    How do I uninstall Tor?

This depends entirely on how you installed it and which operating system you have. If you installed a package, then hopefully your package has a way to uninstall itself. The Windows packages include uninstallers. The proper way to completely remove Tor, Vidalia, Torbutton for Firefox, and Polipo on any version of Windows is as follows:

In your taskbar, right click on Vidalia (the green onion or the black head) and choose exit.
    Right click on the taskbar to bring up TaskManager. Look for tor.exe in the Process List. If it's running, right click and choose End Process.
    Click the Start button, go to Programs, go to Vidalia, choose Uninstall. This will remove the Vidalia bundle, which includes Tor and Polipo.
    Start Firefox. Go to the Tools menu, choose Add-ons. Select Torbutton. Click the Uninstall button.

If you do not follow these steps (for example by trying to uninstall Vidalia, Tor, and Polipo while they are still running), you will need to reboot and manually remove the directory "Program Files\Vidalia Bundle".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066624

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gerogerigegege

downloaded this and it won't run. Using firefox. any idea what the issue could be?

Advertisement