Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some creepy stories

• 21-01-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I think this count's as a link so I will post it here.
    Did a search but would not be surprised if this is a repost so apologies if it is.

They are a series of creepy stories from a reddit section called r/nosleep
    As the name implies the idea is to post creepy stories etc.

I won't explain what happens but I beg you to read the first part at the very least. It's extremely well written and terrifying, and not from a professional author. Nonetheless some of the parts had me in tears and I was generally left feeling uneasy.

They are a long read but well worth it if you enjoy stories generally, and scary stories. All six parts will occupy you for an hour or so total

Enough hyperbole. Here are the parts.

Part 1. Footsteps
    Part 2. Balloons
    Part 3. Boxes
    Part 4. Maps
    Part 5. Screens
    Part 6. Friends

Here is the first couple of paragraphs of part one as a taster:
    In a quiet room if you press your ear against a pillow you can hear your heartbeat. As a kid, the muffled, rhythmic beats sounded like soft footsteps on a carpeted floor, and so as a kid almost every night – just as I was about to drift off to sleep – I would hear these footsteps and I would be ripped back to consciousness, terrified.

For my entire childhood I lived with my mother in a fairly nice neighborhood that was in a transitional phase – people of lower economic means were gradually moving in, and my mother and I were two of these people. We lived in the kind of house you see being transported in two pieces on the interstate, but my mom took good care of it. There were a lot of woods surrounding the neighborhood that I would play in and explore during the day, but at night – as things often do to a kid – they took on a more sinister feeling. This coupled with the fact that, due to the nature of our house, there was a fairly large crawlspace underneath filled my mind with imaginary monsters and inescapable scenarios which would consume my thoughts when I was awoken by the footsteps.

I told my mom about the footsteps and she said that I was just imagining things; I persisted enough that she blasted my ears with water from a turkey baster once just to placate me, since I thought that would help. Of course it didn’t. Despite all the creepiness and footsteps the only weird thing that ever happened was that every now and then I would wake up on the bottom bunk despite having gone to sleep on the top, but this wasn’t really weird since I’d sometimes get up to piss or get something to drink and could remember just going back to sleep on the bottom bunk (I’m an only child so it didn’t matter). This would happen once or twice a week, but waking up on the bottom bunk wasn’t too terrifying. But one night I didn’t wake up on the bottom bunk.

Hope it's appropriate and would be happy to be corrected if this is a repost. I just had to share to be honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

wow, extremely eerie. not good to read when home alone :/ it gave me quite a lot of goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

I am reading through them now, jeez they are dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

cool stories! scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its really well written.

Reminds me of my junior school days when I used to read lots of Goosebumps books and write lots of crazy stories as such for my english essays...

P.S. Is that a real story? The way yer man is talking in the comments below makes it sound like it really happened to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus Christ!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Here is one I read that I thought was pretty good.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

P.S. Is that a real story? The way yer man is talking in the comments below makes it sound like it really happened to him...

I'm not sure. I think the first part might be a real experience but I don't know how much of it is true. He seems to stop mentioning that it's reality in the last three or so parts so I'm guessing (hoping) that it's fake

Finished reading the whole thing and it was heavy stuff. I was close to tears myself at the end of "screens" and "friends". He developed the characters really well from their introduction till the end.

This guy really has a talent for writing gripping stories. That story would really make an amazing film or even an amazing novel.

Makes me want to start writing stories again but college keeps me wayy too occupied in these final years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Finished reading the whole thing and it was heavy stuff. I was close to tears myself at the end of "screens" and "friends". He developed the characters really well from their introduction till the end.

This guy really has a talent for writing gripping stories. That story would really make an amazing film or even an amazing novel.

agreed! the best short story ive read in a while
    Makes me want to start writing stories again but college keeps me wayy too occupied in these final years.

If it's not rude to ask what sort of stories did you write? If you have any saved I'd love to read them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

internet-memes-thanks-memebase-after-dark.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

They were good! Had planned on just reading the first one and leaving the rest till tomorrow but couldn't stop reading right till the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'll be lying awake and listening to footsteps after reading that. Chilling stuff.

If it's not rude to ask what sort of stories did you write? If you have any saved I'd love to read them!

I wrote all sorts of **** but this was predominantly back in my school days. Mostly about running away from baddies who were out to kill you n stuff. The last story I wrote was for my leaving cert english exam.

I always loved writing stories and used to read a lot because back in those days cuz firstly I didn't have a computer to distract me and when I did get a computer, it was only a crappy laptop and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I have a few good ideas and plots that I've developed for writing some stories/novel but due to college and my complete lack of creative writing skills, I haven't managed to actually write anything proper.

Anyway, if ye guys have more such stories I'ld love it if ye could post them cuz I really love reading stuff like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Just read these...

I will now be forcing myself to watch a film/programme after making some coffee, cause all i really want to do is fly to my bedroom, turn on all the lights, dive undercover and await the dawn!

CatFromHue wrote: »

I'm not gonna sleep tonight.

That was definitely one of the creepiest stories i've ever read and now I'm terrified to turn off the lights in my room and close my eyes. Especially the way it ended abruptly without any explanations, without any followup. Leaves you with millions of questions in your head...

Not even sure if the story is true or just another creepy story written by some fairly creative person and if it is just a made up story the writer did a hell of a good job in making it look real and almost believable.

The reddit story didn't creep me out much. I just found it really tragic and sad but this one...Bloody hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That reddit story... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The OP's story is a really well written story, I was only going to glance at it since I'm at work, but ended up getting drawn in and reading the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I know it's not real but it could be. It's one of those stories that makes you think about all the kinds of things you've ever posted.

Enjoy http://vimeo.com/13780892

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Brilliant story, I thought I'd read the first one, it's now 7:20 and I'm still in work after finishing the lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Here is another good one.

http://www.dionaea-house.com/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I read the first 3 parts, very well written it must be said, but clearly not true.

creepy but it cut off waaay too early.

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    creepy but it cut off waaay too early.

Yeah it did. There are other links in it to follow on stories but the main body could have gone on for a lot longer.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Apparently THIS is the original version

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

phill106 wrote: »
    Apparently THIS is the original version

Apparently its not. I did a fair bit of reading on this last night and "Ted" popped up on a caving site and named his mate "Josh". He said that the digging was real (hence the pics) but everything else is fiction. He said that the other version is a rip off. Domain registration times seem to confirm this. He also names the location of the cave but I dont have links now,

I loved that story.

i read that too ted came on to some message board to defend his name and refute the claims that it was him that plagiarised.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Apparently its not. I did a fair bit of reading on this last night and "Ted" popped up on a caving site and named his mate "Josh". He said that the digging was real (hence the pics) but everything else is fiction. He said that the other version is a rip off. Domain registration times seem to confirm this. He also names the location of the cave but I dont have links now,

I loved that story.

Sounds like your right!
    http://grahamjw.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/ted-the-caver-mystery/
    I also loved the story either way!

The fact that the monster is never seen makes it even creepier.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

Reddit story = Amazing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I've read all of part one, and it didn't creep me out. Will the others creep me out?

Although, the ice machine in my fridge just made some really weird noises and I felt a little uneasy. :(

Advertisement