Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romans lack of Interest in ireland

• 17-01-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Are there theories for why the Romans did not bother coming to Ireland during the time they were inhabiting Britain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Bórd Fáilte had not yet been established, and our self-promotion was inadequate.

You really should ask the complementary question: why would they have come? Had we anything they wanted, and in sufficient quantity to make an invasion worth their while?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

I just watched the 1st episode of The Story of Ireland on the RTE Player. Very interesting, they cover the Romans invasion of England and non-invasion of Ireland in the 1st episode.
    From what I remember he said that they heard stories of our barbaric nature and horrible weather (which made us truly miserable) so they didnt want to waste their time with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Expansion into Ireland simply didn't seem important enough and the land wasn't wealthy enough to warrant an invasion Additionally they just did not like invading islands not being too good at transporting troops over water. England being an exception to that,plus the Romans did not want to have the permanent necessary manpower that would have been necessary to attempt to control Ireland. open to correction of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

One could ask the same about why they didn't conquer Caledonia (modern day Scotland) either. I think it probably came down to something as mundane as economics. Would a ROI (Return on Investment) of conquering Ireland and Scotland be acheived. I reckon the beancounters figure it couldn't thus wasn't worth the effort.

In comparison the conquest of Dacia by Trajan in the early 2nd century of course brought it with a fairly large amount of mineral wealth. That and it was lot easier to cross the Danube (they built the bridge of Apollodorus) then the Irish Sea!

01031107-1438654684.jpg

rome_column_trajan_casts_bridge_vam.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

atila wrote: »
    Are there theories for why the Romans did not bother coming to Ireland during the time they were inhabiting Britain?
    Ahem.
    Actually they did come here but to what extent and if it was a military presence is still hotly debated.
    Richard Warner, Keeper of Antiquities at the Ulster Museum, holds the minority view that the Romans did indeed invade Ireland.
    http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba14/BA14FEAT.HTML
    This invasion though, differed from the massed legionaries in Britain; it probably consisted of exiled Irish and Roman trained British mercenaries.
    However, the consensus seems to be that the Romans did not have a military presence on this island.
    There is some widely accepted evidence of intermittent trading, largely through the discovery of Roman or Hiberno-Roman artefacts.
    Drumanagh, Howth and Lambay Island in north county Dublin, Stoneyford in Kilkenny (some doubt about this one), Cashel in Tipperary, Bray in county Wicklow, Tara and Newgrange, Limerick and two sites I can't remember off hand in the north.
    To date, no definitively Roman military artefacts have been unearthed.

Does this mean that there was never a Roman here carrying a Gladius and Scutum?
    We don't know for certain, one way or the other.
    There are hints that the Romans were interested in Ireland - they were certainly well aware of the island.
    Agricola (quoted in Tacitus, Agricola, Book 1) might even have had the intent.
    24. In the fifth year of the war Agricola, himself in the leading ship, crossed the Clota, and subdued in a series of victories tribes hitherto unknown. In that part of Britain which looks towards Ireland, he posted some troops, hoping for fresh conquests rather than fearing attack, inasmuch as Ireland, being between Britain and Spain and conveniently situated for the seas round Gaul, might have been the means of connecting with great mutual benefit the most powerful parts of the empire. Its extent is small when compared with Britain, but exceeds the islands of our seas. In soil and climate, in the disposition, temper, and habits of its population, it differs but little from Britain. We know most of its harbours and approaches, and that through the intercourse of commerce. One of the petty kings of the nation, driven out by internal faction, had been received by Agricola, who detained him under the semblance of friendship till he could make use of him. I have often heard him say that a single legion with a few auxiliaries could conquer and occupy Ireland, and that it would have a salutary effect on Britain for the Roman arms to be seen everywhere, and for freedom, so to speak, to be banished from its sight.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/tac/ag01020.htm
    The 'petty king' referred to above was, in all probability, Tuathal Tectmar.

And then there is the questionable case of Maximus, Roman Governor of Britain from this secondary source David Hughes', 'The British Chronicles, Volume 1' p.112

Then there is the evidence of language; the name Cashel originates in Castellum. There is no Irish word equivalent to 'Temple' (Templemore, Templepatrick etc.) it is directly from Latin. There is more to be learned about this particular insight into our mist shrouded past.

By way of balance and to address the op's question: the Romans may not have invaded Ireland because by the time they were comfortably within range, they were overstretched on other fronts.
    They may not have had the resources or the will to take on a sea venture.
    There may not have been enough resources here to justify the expense, despite best efforts of the IDA and Bórd Fáilte.

I happen to think that they were here and probably in a more 'serious' capacity than is widely accepted.
    And my grounds for this? I believe that there were resources here that would have made armed visits worthwhile. There are too many places with names that retain their Latin origin.
    And most of all, the Romans were renowned masters of leaving as little trace of their military ventures behind as possible. It has been said (I can't remember by whom) that if there had been no written record of Caesar's first invasion, archaeology would not have discovered it.

• Advertisement

I would caution with regards to the placename "Tempel" (Teampall) the word also means Church in Irish. It is of Latin origin but the bulk of latin loanwords in Irish date from the introduction of Christianity. Here is was Dil (Dictionary of Irish language -- covering old/middle Irish period says)
    tempul
    tempull tempal tempall
    Keywords: temple; human body; church; chapel; cathedral
    Letter: T
    COLUMN: 142
    Line: 062

tempul
    o, m. (Lat. templum). Later tempull. tempal, tempall, IGT Decl. § 17 (71.19) .

(a) temple (in biblical and classical sense): corrici ... t.€, Ml 130 d 17 . ni du choscrad in tempuil storidi, Tur. 80. 110 c . isnaib templaib gl. in delubris idulorum, Ml 139 c 5 . t.€ ... Solman, SR 7032 . fíal in tempuil (: dil), 7764 . tempuil na n-ídal, PH 457 . is-na templaib, 2029 . dāilfadh an Duilem | dōib co lār a tempail (: cheann- tair), ZCP viii 110.y . i t.€ ... Menerua, TTebe 742 . a tempall Deaain, St. Ercuil 2499 . ar bhfágbháil an teampuill Díosa, Matt. xxiv 1.

(b) Of human beings, the human body (the bibl. meta- phor): is sissi in tempul sin, Wb 8 d 7 . Cf. comthinól inna nóib asberr tempul doib, 21 c 7 . Iúdás ... is é ... as tempul díles do diabul, PH 5150 . ba teampul De (of Brigit), Lism. L. 1696 . gurob hé bhur gcorp teampoll an spiorad náoimh, 1 Cor. vi 19 . teampoll no ionad comhnuighe Dé do thruail- liughadh, Donl. xiv 14.

(c) church: cosrecad tempuill, Laws iii 18.19 . hi síd- fhlaith ind altair | i mbí toirm cech thempuil, Fél. May 10 . dorōnad tempall ... la Colmān, BColm. 40.15 . na huli aithni ule bertair i t.€ coitcend na heclaisi. Mas a t.€ coitcenn láither ní ícfa nech aithgin de (`? the church of the com- munity ,' Plummer MS. notes), H.3.17 , col. 659 b ( O'Don. 942 ). do-ní mé ... | glór teampaill tráth seanmóire, DDána 60.26 . bréid tealltaigh os gach luing láin | mur dhruim thempail dá thógbháil, IGT Decl. ex. 750 . gaeth mor ... cur trascair tigi ┐ templa imdo, Ann. Conn. 1252.3 . a adhnocol a tempoll Rosso coman, RC xvii 58.24 . Dis- tinguished from cell: an líon manach ... ag freastal na se dteampull do bhi san chill `the six temples ... church ,' Keat. iii 3108 . tempull Cille Dálua, Cog. 138.29 . mo theampall ós thigh cille (of Christ), Dán Dé xxiv 19 . Cf. bud he ... toigebus tempall na mainistrech-sa (of the chapel of a monastic settlement), RC xii 326 § 12 . Note also prīm- thempall `cathedral,' Fl. Earls 66.6 .

Likewise the word Cill also derives from Latin and also refers to Church (Cill Dara)
    cell
    cill Cille
    Keywords: church; monastic; settlement; foundation; collection; ecclesiastical; buildings; sanctuary; churchyard; graveyard; sacrilege
    Letter: C
    COLUMN: 110
    Line: 029

cell
    ā, f. (Lat. cella). In later lang. also with ns. cill ( TSh. 5808 ).

(a) Usually transl. church, but in a number of exx. clearly ref. to monastic settlement or foundation, collection of ecclesiastical buildings: contubart F. acheill dóo, Thes. ii 242.21 (Ardm.). c.€ mór `great church ', 317.7 (Hy. ii). cét c.€ custói tond fo ógi offrinn, Lib. Hymn. 177.495 (ACC). .xvii. cella, Vita Br. 23 . atait secht cella etc. (heptad). Laws v 118 . dul tar chill, 474.11 . ? bása ch.€ mo dind / bád lem Érend íath, LU 9979 . i nArd mínMacha maith c.€, LL 15954 . can cairde ceall, BB 56 a 24 . cormand c.€ tiri Ele, YBL 132 a 35 . doronsat na clerig tóraind chilli, 316 a 42 . ab gach chill, Content. xviii 127 . secht n-airchinnich c.€, Ann. Inisf. 1029.2 . ar cheallaibh ┐ eccailsibh, FM iii 912.3 . an líon manach . . . ag freastal na sé dteampull do bhí san chill, Keat. ii 3108 . air an uachtarán cille `spiritual superior ', Donl. 106.12 .

(b) Extended applications: ba c.€ chendadach ┐ ba cómrar thaisceda sét somainech in talman hí (of Persepolis), Alex. 415 . In sense of sanctuary: fa ceall chomhdha (of a dead chief), DDána 110.12 . comairce ┐ ceall, 102.30 (`tearmann', Gloss.). Prov. celd cen cloc, Rawl. B 512 , 112 a 1 (cited Meyer Contribb.). Of the clergy as oppd. to laity: etir chill ┐ tuaith, RC xviii 196.22 . See túath (T 349.15 ff.). Of ground round a church, churchyard, graveyard: fa úir na cille. Misc. Hag. Hib. 15 § 8 . noco pīantar / fora n-īatur / ūr a c[h]ille, BColm. 28.26 . rés an gcorp ag triall gus an gcill, TSh. 5720 . gur scríob chúichi an chill trí gnaoi-mhúinte grinn `the grave has gathered ', E. O'Rahilly xii 31 . Cf. clad cille, Ériu xvii 70 § 13 .i. in relig, 72 .
    In n.pr. imchoin na ceall, IT iii 80 § 53 . Colum Cille, pass. In insulting nick-name: c.€ coire, Laws v 230.4 Comm. , expld. as `a church in which milk-and-water only is drunk, a miserable place' (O'Curry), note p. 231.
    Very freq. in nn.loc.., see Hog. Onom.

Compds. With nouns: i ndíoghail na ceallairgthe sin `sacrilege', Keat. iii 4567 . ceallogam . . . .i. Beanchar, etc. , Auraic. 5702 . is cell-phort do Padraig, BB 268 b 12 (ceand- phort, BR 30.15 ). With adjj. derived from nouns: is buaid clerigh cliaraig ceolaigh ceallabranaigh, BB 295 a 11 . don eing cheathraigh cheallainglidhe, DDána 89.10 . eiriceach ┐ . . . ceallairgtheach, Eochairsg. 103.9 .

Another word connected to Church derived from Latin is Domhnach. eg. Domhnach Broc (Donnybrook) = Church of Broc

Derived from Latin: dominicus

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

coolabula wrote: »
    From what I remember he said that they heard stories of our barbaric nature and horrible weather (which made us truly miserable) so they didnt want to waste their time with us

Unfortunately I cant remember Roman times, so you have me at a disadvantage.

However my view is that following the fall of the republic the emperors feared allowing any further significant further conquest as a successful general was likey to claim the top job. Sulla got the ball rolling on that front.

It was a lack of political will rather a fear of Barbarians or Cold that put a stop on things. Just ask Vercingetorix, or the Jewish rebels in the seige of Jerusalem, or Mithridates (and his offspring) of pontus - quick Ceasar refresh: Veni, Vidi, Vici

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

realies wrote: »
    Additionally they just did not like invading islands not being too good at transporting troops over water. England being an exception to that,plus the Romans did not want to have the permanent necessary manpower that would have been necessary to attempt to control Ireland. open to correction of course :)

All wrong. They controlled every mediterranaen island and the biggest island in europe. Pompey wiped out all naval opposition in the Med in one campaigning season, Scipio dealt the killer blow to the Carthaginians, however in the first punic war between (Rome and Carthage) was largely Naval. Rome matched up and the conflict moved onto the land.

As regards manpower, the Romans had the finance and resources to raise armies at will from any point starting about 250bc right up to 250ad. Once in a territory they could relatively quickly raise armies locally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Nice to see the Classical spirit is still alive and well here on boards.ie.
    IMHO, and based on Luttwerk's "Strategy of the Roman empire2, I reckon they exercised a form of soft control. That their diplomatic corps. had the knowledge of the local power elites and knew who to bribe and who to threaten to maintain order.
    In the grand scheme, Hibernia did not have the same global importance as say the Dacian or Parthian borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The Roman thing goes around and around. Julius Caesar wrote about it insofar as he knew it existed and its size.

The earliest reputed Irish connection in Rome as fair as I can see was Pelagius (d 418).
    But about his long life prior to the year 400 and above all about his youth, we are left wholly in the dark. Even the country of his birth is disputed. While the most trustworthy witnesses, such as Augustine, Orosius, Prosper, and Marius Mercator, are quite explicit in assigning Britain as his native country, as is apparent from his cognomen of Brito or Britannicus, Jerome (Praef. in Jerem., lib. I and III) ridicules him as a "Scot" (loc. cit., "habet enim progeniem Scoticae gentis de Britannorum vicinia"), who being "stuffed with Scottish porridge" (Scotorum pultibus proegravatus) suffers from a weak memory. Rightly arguing that the "Scots" of those days were really the Irish, H. Zimmer ("Pelagius in Ireland", p. 20, Berlin, 1901) has advanced weighty reasons for the hypothesis that the true home of Pelagius must be sought in Ireland, and that he journeyed through the southwest of Britain to Rome. Tall in stature and portly in appearance (Jerome, loc. cit., "grandis et corpulentus"), Pelagius was highly educated, spoke and wrote Latin as well as Greek with great fluency and was well versed in theology. Though a monk and consequently devoted to practical asceticism, he never was a cleric; for both Orosius and Pope Zosimus simply call him a "layman". In Rome itself he enjoyed the reputation of austerity, while St. Augustine called him even a "saintly man", vir sanctus: with St. Paulinus of Nola (405) and other prominent bishops, he kept up an edifying correspondence, which he used later for his personal defence.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11604a.htm

That would have made him a near contemporary of St Patrick.

So surely, the place to start would be actual interaction we would know about and if I know about an alleged Irish guy in Rome there must be others.

Anything I have previously seen points to trade but not occupation. (Even Henry VIII wanted timber for ships.)

So what are the written references and archaelogical finds ? If St Patrick was kidnapped , what contact did the Irish have externally ?

What were the extent of the raids/skirmishes and when did the start.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    So what are the written references and archaelogical finds ? If St Patrick was kidnapped , what contact did the Irish have externally ?

What were the extent of the raids/skirmishes and when did the start.

from an archaelogical point of view one example of an Irish community in Roman Britain is the Silchester Ogham Stone which was found at the bottom of an infilled well in the Roman town of Silchester.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/cisp/database/stone/silch_1.html

Recent dating puts the filling of the well in the late 4th century/early 5th century. See:
    An Early Date For Ogham: The Silchester Ogham Stone Rehabilitated
    http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-769-1/ahds/dissemination/pdf/vol44/44_001_023.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The Roman thing goes around and around.
    It sure does.

Three very similar names: Pelagius, Palladius, Patricius (St.Patrick)
    • All early fifth century.
    • All of questionable birthplace.
    • All pioneers of the Roman church.
    • All connected with Ireland.
    Patrick's shamrock represents the Holy Trinity............or does it?

Dan Brown, eat your heart out.

We are way ahead of you and named the book

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76565186&postcount=41

:D

Seriously though, we need to nail down proven undisputed contact between Ireland an the outside world at the time.

Like these maps , this Ptolemy dude had a map c. 150

ire150.gif

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/ire150.htm

And this , Late Iron Age Roman Ireland project

http://www.discoveryprogramme.ie/research/late-iron-age-roman-ireland/151-summary-of-the-liari-workshops-14112011-.html

There is a forum there but for the life of me, I can't figure out how or if it is possible for a Joe Soap to sign up.
    http://www.discoveryprogramme.ie/forum.html

Just came across this from Strabo (d.24 AD)
    And the distance from Massilia to Britain may possibly correspond to that from Byzantium to the mouth of the Borysthenes; but the distance that should be set down for the stretch from Britain to Ierne is no longer a known quantity, nor is it known whether there are still inhabitable regions farther on, nor need we concern ourselves about the question if we give heed to what Hesiod said above. For, so far as science is concerned, it is sufficient to assume that, just as it was appropriate in the case of the southern regions to fix a limit of the habitable world by proceeding three thousand stadia south of Meroë (not indeed as though this were a very accurate limit, but as one that at least approximates accuracy), so in this case too we must reckon not more than three thousand stadia north of Britain, or only a little more, say, four thousand stadia. And for governmental purposesa there would be no advantage in knowing such countries and their inhabitants, and particularly if the people live in islands which are of such a nature that they can neither injure nor benefit us in any way because of their isolation. For although they could have held even Britain, the Romans scorned to do so, because they saw that there was nothing at all to fear from the Britons (for they are not strong enough to cross over and attack us), and that no corresponding advantage was to be gained by taking and holding their country. For it seems that at present more revenue is derived from the duty on their commerce than the tribute could bring in, if we deduct the expense involved in the maintenance of an army for the purpose of guarding the island and collecting the tribute; and the unprofitableness of an occupation would be still greater in the case of the other islands about Britain.
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Strabo/2E1*.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Maybe it was too far west? Are maybe they couldn't get? I'm not sure but i bet its something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

No doubt it would have been easy to estimate the worth of Ireland simply studying the trade between the 2 countries...any significant produce would leave a "footprint".

Am far more interested in the roman difficulty with the druids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

slowburner wrote: »
    To date, no definitively Roman military artefacts have been unearthed.

Part of 2nd century Roman armour was found at Rathgael hillfort in wicklow

bastados wrote: »
    No doubt it would have been easy to estimate the worth of Ireland simply studying the trade between the 2 countries...any significant produce would leave a "footprint".

Am far more interested in the roman difficulty with the druids.
    Not so sure it would be 'easy' to estimate the degree of trade.
    It was quite a long time ago and many materials simply would not have survived.
    There is not going to be any physical evidence of perishable goods for example, so for that aspect of trading we will be dependent on the difficult and dubious historical record.
    As mentioned above, some artefacts of Roman origin have been discovered and well documented.
    Some, raise more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

There is not going to be any physical evidence of perishable goods for example, so for that aspect of trading we will be dependent on the difficult and dubious historical record.
    As mentioned above, some artefacts of Roman origin have been discovered and well documented.

I mean for the roman to establish any significance ,back then..not us today :D

Part of 2nd century Roman armour was found at Rathgael hillfort in wicklow
    No sign of it here
    http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Search.php?year=&county=Wicklow&site_no=&site_name=rathgall&site_type=&report_text=&author=&grid_ref=&smr_no=&excavation_license_no=&Submit=Do+Search

The closest artefact is this
    The existence of some form of settlement at Rathgall in the early centuries A.D. is established by the discovery of a decorated bronze strap-end of sub-Roman type, while late thirteenth century silver coins and green-glazed pottery indicate a fairly intensive occupation during the Mediaeval period.
    * Antiquity 44, 1970, 51-54
    Mr. Barry Raftery, Department of Archaeology/U.C.D.
    http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Wicklow&id=5443

• Advertisement

Don't know to be honest but would 'sub-Roman' indicate that it was not actually Roman? Possibly more a copy of a Roman strap?
    Either way it was not given much attention, methinks

Could you estimate this by wars or incursions that are recorded ??

ire400.gif

Cornwall & Devon are mentioned here.

And would stuff like later monasteries etc give a clue to where contact existed.

It makes sense that people traveled to and from places that they were familiar with.

Regarding Wales and Cornwall. Here are two maps showing Ogham stone distrubition in Wales and in the West country (Cornwall+Devon)

554px-Ogham.Inscriptions.Wales.jpg

613px-Ogham.Inscriptions.Cornwall.jpg

there's quite abit of Ogham stones in South-West Wales in the area that later became the "Kingdom of Dyfed".

owenc wrote: »
    Maybe it was too far west? Are maybe they couldn't get? I'm not sure but i bet its something to do with that.

I was in the Canaries a few years back and a tour guide told us that pre Columbus the Spanish believed the islands and the Maderias were at the edge of the world.

That earth is flat idea came from somewhere.

There is a bit of what would be the point of invading Ireland for the Roman's.

Now I do not know how reliable this guy is but look at this map

map100.gif

He seems to say that is was the Irish who colonised Britain.

I was in the Canaries a few years back and a tour guide told us that pre Columbus the Spanish believed the islands and the Maderias were at the edge of the world.

That earth is flat idea came from somewhere.

There is a bit of what would be the point of invading Ireland for the Roman's.

Now I do not know how reliable this guy is but look at this map

map100.gif

He seems to say that is was the Irish who colonised Britain.

I think his point is more that there are groups in Ireland who are also found in Britain and Gaul. For example the Domnainn and Belgae were both in Southern Britain (West Country) -- from whom we have the Fir Domnann and potentially the name "Fir Bolg".

Of course Erris in Mayo is known as "Iorras Domnann" in Irish, and if ye believe the semi-mytholigical writings the Fir Domnann were one of three components of the Laighin.

dubhthach wrote: »
    I think his point is more that there are groups in Ireland who are also found in Britain and Gaul. For example the Domnainn and Belgae were both in Southern Britain (West Country) -- from whom we have the Fir Domnann and potentially the name "Fir Bolg".

I am not very familiar with that era. Were the tribes united or had they been beaten in Europe & Britain ?

Conquering & subduing a semi nomadic tribe is a bit different to a town is it not ?

dubhthach wrote: »

Of course Erris in Mayo is known as "Iorras Domnann" in Irish, and if ye believe the semi-mytholigical writings the Fir Domnann were one of three components of the Laighin.

Oddly enough, Iorras Domhnann is where Tuathal Teachtmar is reputed to have landed.
    Tuathal was twenty-five years of age at that time. And they put into port at Iorrus Domhnann, where they met Fiachaidh Casan with his brother. Thence they proceeded to Tara, and there assembled their supporters from all parts of Ireland to meet Tuathal, and they proclaimed him king of Ireland.....Then Tuathal and his supporters went against the Athachthuaith throughout Ireland, and defeated them in twenty-five battles in Ulster, and twenty-five battles in Leinster, and twenty-five battles in Connaught, and thirty-five battles in Munster.
    http://http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100054/text049.html

Oddly enough, Iorras Domhnann is where Tuathal Teachtmar is reputed to have landed.
    http://http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100054/text049.html

What's interesting about Tuathal Teachtmar is he's titular ancestor of the Connachta/Uí Néill. His story of course tells of how his mother fled back to her father (King of Alba -- at this time it probably meant Britain not scotland) while pregnant with him and that he later returned with an army to reclaim his rightfull inheritance (The High-Kingship).

There are several stories of this variety, some have argued that what they serve is as a means to writing in an "invading group" into the history by subsuming them. so in case of Tuathal he wasn't invading he was returning.

Anyways what's interesting about the Connachta/Uí Néill is they have a distinct SNP that marks them as a subclade within L21. ergo they are L21+ DF23+ M222+

Men bearing this signature are also found in Northern England/Lowland Scotland. The current evidence points to higher variation in samples form there thus potentially and older sample population. DF23 is recently enough discovered and there is at least one cluster from South-West England/Wales that is L21+ DF23+ M222-

The potential implications thus are a migratory process up through island of Britain, the first occurrence of M222+ probably in Northern Britain followed by migration of some carriers into Ireland. From which they spread and multiplied such that 1 in 6 of every Donegal men are carriers.

Some have even ventured as a result that the Veniiconnes which Ptomley put in Northern Britain as been a connection. After all another name for the Connachta is the Dál Cuinn

Veni is cognate with old Irish Féni (V -> F in Goidelic). Some have argued (O'Rahilly I believe?) of course that Conn was potentially a tribal deity and not a real person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thought this might be of interest. Roman (?) coins found near River Slaney in County Wexford - for sale on eBay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unknown-Roman-Coin-good-condition-Found-near-Slaney-River-Co-Wexford-Ireland-/280822290990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4162501a2e#ht_500wt_1202

ROMAN.JPG

Advertisement