Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How British are You?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I like the english except for when I'm playing CoD. Then they're a bunch of camping ba$tards. Yeah, sit in the corner with your barrat you camping fcuking ba$tard. You're good at camping aren't you. Come over here on a visit and stay for 800 FCUKING YEARS. YER ALL CAMPING BA$TARDS!!!

Until some french guy starts whinging and we both start insulting him. CoD really brings out the inherent racism in everyone.
    I had a UK passport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm not British in the slightest, but I and my family and neighbours are all so devastatingly attractive to Britain that they keep offering us citizenship. It must be rough for them, getting knocked back by us all the time, a bit like being the fat burd at a disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Look up the history. Oliver Cromwell tried to over throw the Monarchy and many people should like him for that in Ireland. The problem comes with what he did during Drogheda. That is the main problem.

But if he hadn't done that, he would probably be admired in some quarters.

Something like a third of the UK's population died in the civil war. As much as irish ppl hate cromwell, he was far, far worse to his own ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Look up the history. Oliver Cromwell tried to over throw the Monarchy and many people should like him for that in Ireland. The problem comes with what he did during Drogheda. That is the main problem.

The 11 year siege of Galway wasn't very popular here at the time............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Grayson wrote: »
    Something like a third of the UK's population died in the civil war. As much as irish ppl hate cromwell, he was far, far worse to his own ppl.
    Yep. That is true. He was hated in many quarters but some people in Ireland would like him if he didn't do what he did in Ireland at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I have 'look up the history'. He is the Gaelics mans worst enemy thoughtout history. He is our Hitler. No northern Protestant from boards.ie will change that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

NinjaK wrote: »
    I have 'look up the history'. He is the Gaelics mans worst enemy thoughtout history. He is our Hitler. No northern Protestant from boards.ie will change that:D

Ah, you can't be taking Keith seriously. That's going about things the wrong way entirely. He's a bit like a Morrissey album. Full of hilarity once you get the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would regard myself as west British and proud. I like the British people their traditions, history, culture, music, comedy, sport. But I am secure enough been Irish to say something like that.

Like it or lump it they had a huge influence on us and our identity and still do. But largely now they are very good neighbours. What more could a country ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

well looking at my passport

ah fook it

Rule Britanina

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    I would regard myself as west British and proud. I like the British people their traditions, history, culture, music, comedy, sport. But I am secure enough been Irish to say something like that.

Like it or lump it they had a huge influence on us and our identity and still do. But largely now they are very good neighbours. What more could a country ask for.
    Would you vote to re join the Union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Would you vote to re join the Union?

No I think it is advantageous for Ireland to remain independent as in economically, influence, keeping our own Atlantic resources oil included, also been small keeps us out of stupid wars which Britain always end up in.

I am happy to be out of the Union, but I am also happy with the recent state of Anglo/Irish relations. I actually enjoyed the Royal visit last year as did most Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NinjaK wrote: »
    I have 'look up the history'. He is the Gaelics mans worst enemy thoughtout history. He is our Hitler.
    Godwin this early? :D To be fair to Keith he has something of a point. Cromwell gave quarter more than average for a general of his time. He certainly gave more in Ireland than in England. That was an unbelievably vicious civil war. Atrocities a go go. Tens of thousands dead in single battles and 100's of thousands dead from disease in the trail of it.

In all but one of the towns that negotiated a surrender with Cromwell he gave safe passage to the civilians. The exception being Wexford, though his troops went batshít on that occasion. He issued orders when he arrived that no civilian was to be harmed or robbed of property and actually hanged a few of his own men(inc officers) for breaking this order.

Was Cromwell a cúnt? Yes, but no more than most Puritan Religious nutbags at the time, especially if moving about in a Catholic country. Was he "Irelands Hitler"? The people left in command after him were way worse. It was they who kicked off the mass killings, theft and enslavement of us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Oliver Cromwell is misunderstood in history. He should really be liked in Ireland. If he didn't do what he did with the killing at Drogheda, people would admire him much more than they do.

You just have to look at it from a historical point of view and understand these things happened back then. Cromwell actually give orders for his soldiers to not harm the country folk.

Yeah just like Hitler, if he hadn't done the concentration camps and the gassings and the wars etc etc. But these things happened back then. :rolleyes:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Godwin this early? :D To be fair to Keith he has something of a point.

Loads of revisionist waffle...

Come off it, Wibbs. There are limits to revisionism. Hitler after all was a decent water colourist who rebuilt Germany's economy, eh? And was still a complete and utter sh1tbag. As was Oliver.

Come off it, Wibbs. There are limits to revisionism. Hitler after all was a decent water colourist who rebuilt Germany's economy, eh? And was still a complete and utter sh1tbag. As was Oliver.
    Erm, actually yes, that is true. Why deny history and try to rewrite it? No one is denying the other parts like Drogheda and so on. But the truth should be put forward.

Erm, actually yes, that is true. Why deny history and try to rewrite it? No one is denying the other parts like Drogheda and so on. But the truth should be put forward.

You'll note I didn't deny any history, Keith. I just reminded everyone that Oliver Cromwell like Hitler had some marginal and arguable positives heavily outweighed by the fact that both were genocidal loopers of the highest order.

You'll note I didn't deny any history, Keith. I just reminded everyone that Oliver Cromwell like Hitler had some marginal and arguable positives heavily outweighed by the fact that both were genocidal loopers of the highest order.
    Has anyone denied that though? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

grindle wrote: »
    Ooh, you're getting a bit defensive - pure, unbridled hatred much?

C'mon, it's AH, he's just having a bait'n'goad.

Seriously though, if anybody considered themselves 1% British (without blood relations), the vast majority of our miserable plebeian population would label them a turn-coat.

A better question would be "Why are so many people so nationalistic when we've evolved beyond the need for it?".

No, it's just showing that he's a trolling, brain-dead goon.

I know that I'm not 100% Irish (if that exists) because my brother has done DNA tests to show the areas of Ireland, Scotland, England, and (going back) Norway, but non-intelligent people like the OP annoy me. I usually don't respond but this time I did...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

To paraphrase some Brits whom I have great time for -

"what av the British ever done for us?"
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

KeithAFC, did Oliver Cromwell mainly do good deeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Great Comedy and some good music.

Agree about the comedy but some good music??

If there is one thing those lads do well it's music, fucking unreal for it.

Has anyone denied that though? I don't think so.

You've stated twice that Irish people should like Cromwell. What is it about someone you accept to be a genocidal looper of the highest order is appealing in your opinion to Irish people?

You've stated twice that Irish people should like Cromwell. What is it about someone you accept to be a genocidal looper of the highest order is appealing in your opinion to Irish people?
    He should really be liked in Ireland. If he didn't do what he did with the killing at Drogheda, people would admire him much more than they do.
    Do you disagree?

Do you disagree?

Do I disagree? Of course I do. Do you believe that the French should like Hitler were it not for that unfortunate episode involving the Jews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Cromwell was a blood thirsty republican who didn't care how many civilians were killed as long as he got what he wanted. In some parts of Ireland that is considered worthy of being hero worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

If you go round England you'll soon see the huge damage he did there as well. He was a true believer in what he had started and people like that are dangerous - no concessions.

Actually spend some time in Britain and you will see that its very different to here. They speak the same language but its a totally different country with a totally different culture. Nothing wrong with them, the vast majority are very friendly but it is alien.

TBH I prefer France - the average French person has the right attitude about life, a great lifesyle and they like Ireland ( except for Sarkozy and Parisians).

Cromwell was a blood thirsty republican who didn't care how many civilians were killed as long as he got what he wanted. In some parts of Ireland that is considered worthy of being hero worship.

Not only is that a spectacularly anachronistic example of whataboutery, but there should also be a special Irish version of Godwin's Law for people who inappropriately drag the Provos into discussions where they're irrelevant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

chughes wrote: »
    Just getting scientific for a moment, I'd imagine DNA taken from many Irish people would show similarities to DNA taken from white English people. Irish people and English people have been "intermingling" for many centuries.
    Indeed so. The idea that we're "celts" and they're "saxons" is not borne out by the genetics. There's pretty much eff all Celtic DNA in our blood(or theirs). Saxon markers are present in pretty tiny amounts in the extreme east of England, but that's it. They've more markers for "Roman" than Saxon. The Celtic/Saxon invasion was more cultural than anything. They had a lot more physical saxons on the ground mind you, though for some reason their genes diluted pretty soon after. So yea it seems the average English, Scot, Welsh and Irish are more related to each other than to anyone else and the more north you go in England the more that's the case.

As for how "British" I am? Not very at all. Outside of the language dialect that's about it.

For a start when we say British we mean English. The British label is a bit of flim flam in lots of ways. I'd feel closer to Welsh or Scots than English. Very generally and this is obviously not all English folks.... I can't abide football or any of that shíte that seems to hype up many of them. I find their jingoism at times both odd and dangerous to their own people. When you see those lines of coffins driving through sleepy English villages, kids just out of their teens silenced in coffins draped in the union jack "for Queen and country" I think WTF and feel really bad for them. Their class system thankfully dying off is/was utterly daft. The English were shíts to the peasant class in Ireland, but they were hardly any better to their own. Used them as indentured slaves, exported same in their thousands to shore up the colonies and used them as bullet stoppers in many many wars. While convincing them this was mostly a good thing. I also find their attachment to monarchy very odd. What's weird (for me) is how a lot of their amazing history and culture has now the air of museum about it. They polish and preserve the glories of yesterday. Damn near every village you drive through has three or four antiques shops.

Actually I find the English a very sentimental people. More sentimental than the Irish though stereotypes would suggest the reverse. I find the Scots least sentimental of all and the Welsh similar to us. I have to say I like the English I've met as a general rule. I found them easier going than say the Scots.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Oliver Cromwell is misunderstood in history. He should really be liked in Ireland. If he didn't do what he did with the killing at Drogheda, people would admire him much more than they do.

You just have to look at it from a historical point of view and understand these things happened back then. Cromwell actually give orders for his soldiers to not harm the country folk.

He sent a lot of Irish to the West Indies as slaves too. So did Charles I and II.

Advertisement