Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ehhhhh, anyone? No? Just me so...

Shuussshhh. Paindoctor is really an axe murderer....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Multi purpose Smart ........

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

So, is the extension on the back called a Smart Arse?

I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

kazul wrote: »

I'll get me coat...

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Today, technically ( 2:00 am ) . Duck hit my car at 120km/h on motorway. To be correct in this thread, "I" hit the duck using my car lol.

Damn thing scared the living Jesus out of me. Nothing to car thought as it went in to bumper. A barely clipped it thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Today, technically ( 2:00 am ) . Duck hit my car at 120km/h on motorway. To be correct in this thread, "I" hit the duck using my car lol.

Damn thing scared the living Jesus out of me. Nothing to car thought as it went in to bumper. A barely clipped it thought.

In the 400bhp Skyline?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In the 400bhp Skyline?

Nope, it's offroad. Drove to Dublin in mondeo. Droping off misses in airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks like a VAG ;):confused:.
    vectra wrote: »
    PMSL
    Just spotted what voodoomelon was on about there now..

:D
    -Corkie- wrote: »
    Shuussshhh. Paindoctor is really an axe murderer....:D
    homer90 wrote: »
    Multi purpose Smart ........

:D:D:D
    kazul wrote: »

I'll get me coat...

You're all weirdos. The lot of ye :D When I saw the photo the first time after I took it, the Ron Jeremy in me came to the same conclusion though. The Nerd in me also came up with this :

LOTR_Two018EyeOfSauron.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Gave mine another lick of paint, I'd say two more cans will do her nicely!

259970_10150665945435176_805400175_19472867_7754055_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Gave mine another lick of paint, I'd say two more cans will do her nicely!

259970_10150665945435176_805400175_19472867_7754055_n.jpg
    that's proper wheeler dealer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, it does look like he's building an artificial vagina in his Smart Car, it's not just you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yup, bang on! :)

I got the bulbs in a local motor factors, but they're a fscking nightmare - made somewhere in the far east, and you've to bend the pins in the bulb to make them actually contact the PCB in the dash. Won't be doing the rest of the LEDs, as there are none! My last MINI I'd everything done, every switch, every backlight too.

Will try to take more photos of the enclosure as I get it done. It's just taking an age, and everything else seems to take my time :/

Here's what I did to it about 3 weeks ago.

photo5k.jpg

photo6la.jpg

photo7g.jpg

248665_10150272341703413_547383412_8961439_6714619_n.jpg

Great job mate, looks savage!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Here's what I did to it about 3 weeks ago...

Should've converted it into a...Smamborghini!

Smamborghini.jpg

Or if you're feeling adventurous and enjoy sunny weather, there's always the Smorvette...
    Smorvette.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I checked the oil today!Then remembered F1 was on.Go Vettel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got another package from Berlin Tuning this morning, containing a new set of flappy paddles, and a kit for wiring in a new switch on the drivers side for passenger window control. If you don't know, Smarts are a pain in the ass, if you want to open the passenger window, you have to half slide off the seat, reach over and push the passenger button while trying to drive. Whole front of the car had to come off again, and while I'd the front off, I remove and disassembled the headlights and reflectors inside so I could fix the fault inside the headlight adjuster motors on both causing the motor to run constantly. Photos!

Old wheel and paddles :

smart002.jpg

New paddles out of the packet, you just pull the old paddles out left and right, offer these up and tighten the screws and nuts. Simples.

smart001n.jpg

And paddles fitted :

smart006.jpg

This is the module which adds control of the passenger window to the driver side. You plug the wiring going into the existing passenger switch out and into this module, plug the new wire coming from the module to the existing switch, and run a long 3 core cable to the far door where you wire in a DTSP Momentary Rocker switch. Instructions were useless, didn't make any mention of the wiring order or how to secure the unit, but it's easy to figure it out with a bit of trial and error.

smart004k.jpg

This the 20mm hole cut out for the switch on the driver's side, and the 3 core wire threaded through.

smart005.jpg

Lastly, the new switch flushed in. Makes a huge difference not having to shift half out of the seat and lean over to open the window when driving. Kit's not expensive, definitely recommend it.

smart007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Engine completely stripped, all internals are out now. I'll be dropping the empty block and head to Lofty Farrell tomorrow for a hone and a bore ( .5 oversize) and the head is just getting a clean of the surface.

My headgasket should arrive Friday, if not it should be in by Monday but I'll be assembling from Saturday. All the valves need cleaning and reseating again, actually started cleaning them yesterday, every free minute I get between cups of tea and coffee I'll be working on my car :)

264744_10150239314267825_744852824_7345250_3164289_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭bop1977

I changed the brake switch and window regulator on my octavia today. Not as big a job as some of them tackled here but this is the first time I have started dipping my toe into DIY car repair. Feeling pretty good about myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

wiped some bird **** off the bonnet, shaked fist towards overhead birds, *insert joke about the other kind of birds here*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I replaced my drivers side sunvisor which was starting to not stay up anymore. Dealer wanted €170 for the part :rolleyes:, got it from america of ebay for €55 including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus what kinda car do you drive?? o.O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

hmm... lets see... topped up another half litre of coolant due to highly annnoying leak that's developed, tiny bit of oil, reattached part of front bumper using cable ties, refilled windscreen washer bottle, tidied inside of car, filled tank with diesel/veg oil mix, drove around ding various tasks for the morning.
    All very exciting and thoroughly fascinating, requiring great skill and attention. Well no, not at all but it kept it going for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I wrote 'wash me' on my bootlid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Too much to do :rolleyes: The other day I put a towbar on my daily hack, just need the hitch and some scotch locks...

Today on the resto car Ive sanded the rust off the front and painted it up with hammerite. Fabricating a sleeve for the exhaust too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Fixed drivers side wiper arm on a 00punto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got in, drove to work, worked, drove back home again.:p

today.jpg

Oil change and swapped fronts to back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Parked it in a ditch. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RoverJames wrote: »
    swapped fronts to back :)
    Do you keep the good ones on the front?

Everyone says the opposite but I've never noticed much difference if they all have reasonable thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

EPM wrote: »
    Parked it in a ditch. Sweet.
    Do you have a picture for the obnoxious parking thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Do you have a picture for the obnoxious parking thread?

Ah thought I'd get a reaction. Was only because I had to change a wheel:D

But I did a full detar and claybar afterwords. As usual the birds had a target to aim for. Arms are in bits after it but it was worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement