Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Stopped in the porterhouse on the way home for work for dinner. Had a Brain Blasta, quite nice and to be honest does what it says on the tin.

Also tried a Hop Head (I think a sign said it was a guest keg), absolutely delicious, possibly the nicest thing I've ever drank. And so clean and fresh tasting I almost expected to see some bits of actual plant floating in it.

(edit: just googled and Hop Head seems to be one of their own)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just bought 6 bottles of Erdinger Oktoberfest and got my 1 litre stein to go with it.

I put one 500ml bottle in and it looked lost in the glass. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bloody hell, I forgot all the Oktoberfest beers will be out soon. Woohoo :D

Tonight, I'm having a Theakston Old Peculier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Picked up some Helvick Gold last night and I think its my first time drinking this!

I have drank Blackrock Stout on many occasions and Coppercoast so dont know how I missed Helvick Gold.
    Looking forward to drinking this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I was on in eindhoven at the weekend tried a beer called KWAK 8.5%, you get it in a tall skinny glass with a big ball at the end sort of like a test tube on steroids haha and then u get a big wooden handle the class clips into! It was beautiful!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Picked up some Helvick Gold last night and I think its my first time drinking this!

I have drank Blackrock Stout on many occasions and Coppercoast so dont know how I missed Helvick Gold.
    It's the nicest of the 3 imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gregers85 wrote: »
    I was on in eindhoven at the weekend tried a beer called KWAK 8.5%
    Most of the decent beer offies here should have it. It occasionally shows up on draught as well. Nice beer. Though last time I was in Brussels I noticed one place had free-standing flat-bottomed Kwak glasses, which is cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tonight I'll be drinking some rogue which I picked up in Drinkstore :D
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and Dry Hopped St Rogue Red Ale

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's the nicest of the 3 imo

Just cracked it open. Wonderful. Lovely hoppy and citrus and tiny bits of yeast floating around too. I need to get this into my safety stock of beers to have in case if an emergency !

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭eurokev

Just sipping into my sipping my 750ml chimay rouge following it up with an organic honey dew then hobble to bed,

For those interested thought Id post this, had 8 degrees ale in cork a few weeks ago, one of the nicest drinks Iv ever tasted. And for those of you talking bout Helvick, Dungarvan brewing co are there too

All-Ireland Craft Beerfest

From Friday, 23 September 2011
    To Sunday, 25 September 2011

Festival of Irish craft beer, plus cider and whiskey at the RDS Dublin.
    Hours:
    Friday 23 Sept.: 16.00-00.30
    Saturday 24 Sept.: 12.00-00.30
    Sunday 25 Sept.: 12.00-18.00
    Admission: €10, including festival glass and a half-pint of beer
    Beer: €2.50 per half pint.

Also featuring artisan foods, live music, and a kids' entertainment area.
    More details to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

donnacha wrote: »
    Tonight I'll be drinking some rogue which I picked up in Drinkstore :D
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and Dry Hopped St Rogue Red Ale
    Had their 'Dead Man's Ale' in their Brewpub in San Francisco. A bit disappointed with it to be honest. Incredible array of taps though (40+).

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that Brew Dog are looking for potential pub locations in Dublin? Hoppy Days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Tonight I'm having some Flying Dog, Double Pale Ale. Far too drinkable for a beer of its strength (11.5). I reckon 3 will be enough to help the night along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just cracked it open. Wonderful. Lovely hoppy and citrus and tiny bits of yeast floating around too. I need to get this into my safety stock of beers to have in case if an emergency !

You put the idea into my head tonight so I picked up a bottle earlier and I'm just sipping on it now. Yum yum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

gregers85 wrote: »
    I was on in eindhoven at the weekend tried a beer called KWAK 8.5%, you get it in a tall skinny glass with a big ball at the end sort of like a test tube on steroids haha and then u get a big wooden handle the class clips into! It was beautiful!!! :)
    I have one of those glasses at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

At the moment I'm drinking a Wainwrights from the Thwaites brewery in the
    UK. Its an 'Exquisitely Lovely Golden Ale' acording to the label.
    Its a vary pale ale, a little bit bland but quite refreshing.
    I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Question Ciaran; did you find Helvick a wee bit soft to the palate, hops aside?

Question Ciaran; did you find Helvick a wee bit soft to the palate, hops aside?

Well I had a bottle and loved it. I went out last night and lucky enough to find it on cask in the pub and was a much stronger citrus and hoppy taste on cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried Goose Island Fleur last night.
    Very disappointed - found it far too sweet for my taste without enough else going on to balance it.

Just glad I picked it up cheap as the bottle had no label.

I cheered myself up with a bottle of SN Torpedo IPA

I've liked some of the other beers in that range and absolutely love Sofie.

Anyone have any opinions on Pepe Nero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'm living in Beijing at the moment so I'm drinking a lot of Chinese beers, including a lot of local Beijing beers.

They're all lagers (very similar in taste to Tsingtao) with a fairly light, refreshing taste. They give killer hangovers though. Back in Ireland I could easily drink 5 or 6 cans of Fosters and feel fine the next day after a normal nights sleep. Drinking the equivalent of Chinese beer makes you feel like death the next day.

The great thing though is the price of Chinese beer - my local shop (dirty corner shop) sells party cans of Tsingtao for around 25 cent. (If you don't know, Tsingtao is considered a very upmarket beer in China).

Some shops sell 1.8 litre metal flasks of Tsingtao. It makes drinking beer extremely enjoyable. EDIT: Tried to find an image of one but couldn't.

Across the road is a fancy supermarket which has a large selection of imported beer (including plenty of non-Irish craft beers or at least beers from small breweries) but it's such a rip off supermarket I don't really want to give them my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

47_Tegernsee_Hell.jpg

18_Koenig_Ludwig_Dunkel.jpg

Just moved to austria so am getting to try loads of tasty new beers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just back from two weeks in Japan.

It's my third time having been there, but my last few trips were almost ten years ago. At the time I remember being amazed at the quality of Japanese superdry draft lager... It seems head and shoulders superior to what I was being served over the counter in Dublin at the time.

Now while this time around I still drank some super frosty and thirst-quenchingly delicious steins of Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, Suntory (special autumn brews and distillery-editions where I could), I found it harder to locate Japanese microbrewery offerings than I'd expected. I'd noted down quite a few bars in the Tokyo area but I had to go quite a distance at times to ferret them out. When I did, it was certainly worth it - some super beers, albeit pricey... But what I'm getting at is that this trip made me realise how far we've come in this country in terms of the availability of microbrewery and independent beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've just opened a brewdog, mikeller, nogne o black tokyo horizon. Bloody hell its lovely but really strong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I had to go quite a distance at times to ferret them out. When I did, it was certainly worth it - some super beers, albeit pricey... But what I'm getting at is that this trip made me realise how far we've come in this country in terms of the availability of microbrewery and independent beers.
    Yep, and if you're looking for some Hitachino Nest, Yamamori stocks them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This seems to be popping up here a lot lately. Does anyone know if it's available in Cork at all? Dying try it now.

I don't remember seeing that exact colour label, but Bradley's on North Main Street certainly have a few different types by the same brewery, it'd be a good place to start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The great thing though is the price of Chinese beer - my local shop (dirty corner shop) sells party cans of Tsingtao for around 25 cent. (If you don't know, Tsingtao is considered a very upmarket beer in China).
    Something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dtd.douglas

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've heard about O'Neills having 40 beers on draught? 40? Is that for real? Must take up some amount of space.

I Was in O'neills and they really do have OVER 40 beers on tap, and that was just the main bar!! they just got Curim in by O'Haras which was delicious, great golden ale!! and the Howlin Gale Ale by 8 degrees brewing which was the most surprising, starts off like an all then the after taste kicks in, WOW, what flavour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I Was in O'neills and they really do have OVER 40 beers on tap, and that was just the main bar!! they just got Curim in by O'Haras which was delicious, great golden ale!! and the Howlin Gale Ale by 8 degrees brewing which was the most surprising, starts off like an all then the after taste kicks in, WOW, what flavour!!

Its the only way to go for the future, I think people are getting sick of the choice of basically 4 bland lagers and an average stout that makes up 99% of offerings in Irish pubs..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Picked up some of Hilden's Titanic and Cathedral quarter beers for tonight.

On a related note, my local wine shop/decent beer offy got this in cause I narked them on facebook and casually asked every member of staff if they'd consider getting more Irish beers in(they only ever had the odd O'Haras) so if you're looking for more choice you have to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nøgne ø Porter last night.
    For me it's the least impressive of the range that I've tried. An excellent beer but doesn't warrant the extra premium price IMO.
    The others I've had, while expensive, seem worth it if you're only having one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

irish_goat wrote: »
    Picked up some of Hilden's Titanic and Cathedral quarter beers for tonight.

On a related note, my local wine shop/decent beer offy got this in cause I narked them on facebook and casually asked every member of staff if they'd consider getting more Irish beers in(they only ever had the odd O'Haras) so if you're looking for more choice you have to ask!

would this be in Donegal or Maynooth.

i asked the wine well in Dunboyne to get the Dungarvan range for me and within a week they had all 3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement