Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

Hi guys and gals,

Just have a quick query. Did you just send in a general application or is there a specific job you have to apply for? If its just a general application a link would be greatly appreciated. I can only seem to find jobs for specific subjects/locations.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

Well lads

I am in Austria atm working as a language assistant

Interested in going to the Emirates, Saudi Arabia or any of the more stable French speaking Arab countries like Morocco or Tunisia as I speak French. Lebanon would be ideal as I've always wanted to go there but I think that's starting to get dodgy again going on the DFA's website...

Any chance you can teach with just a degree? I will probably do an online TEFL cert soon but not sure how valid that is? Some posters above seem to have been let in with minimal qualifications and minimal experience?

Few more things:

-Only FB page I could find for Sabis was their Lebanon one-I thought someone said they have an office in Dublin/a presence in Dublin.-the interviews are bout March right?

Their website has feck all vacancies???-like 5 jobs, none in the aforementioned countries and 1 teaching post in Pakistan I would not apply for lol.

-what are the wages like? And generally the working conditions with Sabis?-much authority?? I realise people living out there now might not be able to comment too much, but maybe some previous workers there would like to share their experiences(I read back 4 pages on this thread and found veyr little in the way of past experiences and country specific advice).

-I had Arab friends when in France and have been to few mosques before with my friends over there so have no problem fitting in and avoiding alcohol for 1-2 years while living there. I think I could manage as often went a few weeks or even a month without drinking at all at home.

-Do they really confiscate your passport-that'd put me off going anywhere!

Any other advice welcome.

Thank you thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

They take your passport for a while after you get there. It's because you need to get a visa and for some reason Irish people only qualify for a 2 month one when you get there.

The wages are good, and you don't have to pay for anything other than food/social life. Also it's of course tax free. A degree is more than enough to work in Sabis.

The conditions vary depending on where you go. I can't really say anymore sorry! But if you're a teacher you'll most likely enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Hello,

I have applied and been interviewed for a position with the International Schools of Choueifat in UAE, Dubai would be my specific choice. I had an interview about a month ago now on Skype after sending in my video CV and all that jazz. They then emailed me a few days after asking to send my documents and notify my references and it was urgent to get the references back. I haven't heard anything since then, they said next stage would be an interview in London, although at the moment I'm studying in Glasgow - has anyone had experience with the recruitment process in England/Scotland and do they give you a good amount of time in advance to plan your trip down to London (as I have a lot of study commitments early next year)?

Any advice would be appreciated as I emailed them this week but haven't heard anything back.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Hello,

I have applied and been interviewed for a position with the International Schools of Choueifat in UAE, Dubai would be my specific choice. I had an interview about a month ago now on Skype after sending in my video CV and all that jazz. They then emailed me a few days after asking to send my documents and notify my references and it was urgent to get the references back. I haven't heard anything since then, they said next stage would be an interview in London, although at the moment I'm studying in Glasgow - has anyone had experience with the recruitment process in England/Scotland and do they give you a good amount of time in advance to plan your trip down to London (as I have a lot of study commitments early next year)?

Any advice would be appreciated as I emailed them this week but haven't heard anything back.

If it's very awkward for you to get to London you could just request a skype or phone interview. I know a lot of people working for Sabis that never had a face to face interview.

Word to the wise, Dubai is very hard for 1st years to get as it is very in demand so don't be surprised if you are not offered a place there. Generally, they offer you a contract for all of the UAE and a few weeks after you sign it, you find out where you will be based.
    This post has been deleted.

No age limit as far as I'm aware, in my group there was people from early 20s up to late 30s/early 40s. My school is mostly female but there is a fairly big male teaching presence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Ah thats good to know, hopefully that will be ok if I can't make it down.

Yeah I let them know in the interview I was set on Dubai because of friends there and would like to in the future possible do the PGDE through the company if possible. Also at the age where I want to give a career a go in a city that I love so hopefully they will take all that on board if I am successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Has anyone worked in any of the Aldar Academies schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

Hello,

Hi i am hoping if you could help me. I have applied for teaching with the International school of choueifat. Hoping dubai. How was your Skype interview? I am really nervous about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mary91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes I was offered the job at the end of the face to face interview in March. Yes it has all been finalised. If there is anything I can help you with don't be afraid to ask :)

Hi i am hoping you could help me. I've an Interview with the International school of choueifat tomorrow through skype. Could you please tell me if the interview is difficult.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi i am hoping you could help me. I've an Interview with the International school of choueifat tomorrow through skype. Could you please tell me if the interview is difficult.
    Thank you

Make sure you can describe the points system very well.
    Make sure you have a good answer for why you want to go. (career etc)
    Make sure you understand the political climate and Islam in general.

Nothing else apart from that. Mine lasted an hour, but it was easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

When do the Sabis jobs start? Is it just September or is there a couple of semester options?

A lot of people are starting now in January. The jobs are offered all year around.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Have a look at other places too. Lots of jobs on Tes.co.uk. Jobs have been coming out the last few weeks.

Hi i am hoping you could help me. I had an interview with sabis through skype In December. I got an email from HR today saying that they would be on contact shortly if I was successful and to send in documents. What documents are they looking for? They didn't specify what documents they wanted.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mitoke

If it's very awkward for you to get to London you could just request a skype or phone interview. I know a lot of people working for Sabis that never had a face to face interview.

Word to the wise, Dubai is very hard for 1st years to get as it is very in demand so don't be surprised if you are not offered a place there. Generally, they offer you a contract for all of the UAE and a few weeks after you sign it, you find out where you will be based.

No age limit as far as I'm aware, in my group there was people from early 20s up to late 30s/early 40s. My school is mostly female but there is a fairly big male teaching presence as well.

For those of you who applied and got interviews, do you mind sharing what your credential are. I have and BA and MSc and TEFL and have never received a scheduling for an interview so I'm trying to figure out why I don't qualify.

An undergrad degree, MA and TEFL. What position are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mitoke

I've mainly been applying for English/Social Studies positions. I'm not a certified teacher but from what I've gathered, that's not a big requirement for SABIS. I have a BA in International Studies and Political Science;Islamic World Studies and and MSc in International Political Economy and Development

Since I'm the music teacher I don't need a teaching cert either, but they were still hesitant to give me the job.

Almost all the teachers (where I am) have teaching degrees for English though. Although it's not a requirement to have a teaching qualification, IMO it goes a long long way from what I've seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get involved with this forum as I applied to Sabis for jobs starting in August 2014, I sent off application form last Tuesday and on Wednesday got an email asking was I available for a skype interview today.

Same as most of you, I was asked where I would prefer to have a second interview, what I would do with unruly children, that kind of thing, was not too daunting!

I don't have a teaching qualification, just in the final year of my BA, so have been checking out work in UAE and this seems like a great opportunity!

I will update here when or if I hear anything back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 shell182

Hey guys,

I applied too! Im from Dublin about to finish a degree in physics. I have a face to face interview (though i have no date yet).... has anyone else got this far yet? Or where are you guys hoping to go?

Im hoping for the best, everything is looking good so far. Although I never gave them a video CV as I got scheduled for a Skype interview before that, should I send one in anyway?

Also, anyone got any advice for the face to face interview? The Skype one was very relaxed.

I got a few emails from them during the week, all looking positive so far!! They said I have been shortlisted for a second interview which will be in March and they asked me to get the Garda clearance also and to send on a copy of my passport and that they are checking out my references! I didn't put in a video cv either so i don't think that really matters but will probably just make your application stand out I guess! I'm not going to bother sending one in now as it doesn't look like I need it anyway!

I also just put the UAE as my only location as I don't think I would like to work in any of the other locations, was also in touch with a friend of mine living in Al Ain for the last number of years, and she said she would highly recommend going there, that I won't regret it and she knows people who work with the SABIS schools and they all like it!

So I'm just hoping that everything from now on goes well and an exciting new opportunity is in our midst!

Thats great, I assume your a Dub too? What do you want to teach or are you more in it for the experience?

Seems as if were both at the same stage...keep me posted on progress etc...would be good IF we got the job to get to know some people going over before hand.

It sounds as if theres a big expat community over there

No I'm from Galway! Yes apparently huge Irish community over there, so we should feel right at home. I'm not really sure what I would be teaching yet, I presume as English is one of my subjects for my BA, it will more than likely be that, definitely in it for the experience moreso, and I am also hoping to do a TEFL course over the summer, and get some teaching practice in but also as a fallback if this doesn't work out, but I really hope it does!

Will keep you posted anyway!

I just got an email saying the music teacher job in Lebanon it open if you or anyone you know is interested.

I also have a question about Bahrain since I put it down as one of my choices. I'm finding it very difficult to find information about it. .. It seems quite liberal bit what way are things politically of er there? Some things I read say that the country is in a bit of turmoil. ..is this true ?

It's not in turmoil at all, honestly there's nothing to worry about, it's extremely liberal despite its proximity to Saudi. If I had to say one bad thing about Bahrain in fact, I'd say that it's boring if anything.

But lol, I guess it comes down to how much of your money you want to spend on having a good time.

It's not in turmoil at all, honestly there's nothing to worry about, it's extremely liberal despite its proximity to Saudi. If I had to say one bad thing about Bahrain in fact, I'd say that it's boring if anything.

But lol, I guess it comes down to how much of your money you want to spend on having a good time.

Ah thank you, are you over there now?
    Is it expensive? or do you mean you prob have to travel out a bit for some craic?

shell182 wrote: »
    Ah thank you, are you over there now?
    Is it expensive? or do you mean you prob have to travel out a bit for some craic?

Yeah I'm over here now since last August. If I'm being honest, it's the most expensive place I've ever been to. But I've heard that most of the UAE is the same, with Dubai being the worst by far. Nah I just mean that if you want to go out etc... you'll have to rent a car or get taxis everywhere as the school is far away from Manama. Like a taxi in and out would be about €32 if you're lucky. Of course you'll probably split that bill with others. Then the average beer is around 6 or 7 euro if you want a nice one. So if you make a habit of going out drinking, or just going out shopping, to the cinema etc. you'll most likely save very little (if any) money. That's largely the reason people stay two years I think, for the bonus you get.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm over here now since last August. If I'm being honest, it's the most expensive place I've ever been to. But I've heard that most of the UAE is the same, with Dubai being the worst by far. Nah I just mean that if you want to go out etc... you'll have to rent a car or get taxis everywhere as the school is far away from Manama. Like a taxi in and out would be about €32 if you're lucky. Of course you'll probably split that bill with others. Then the average beer is around 6 or 7 euro if you want a nice one. So if you make a habit of going out drinking, or just going out shopping, to the cinema etc. you'll most likely save very little (if any) money. That's largely the reason people stay two years I think, for the bonus you get.

Really ? Wow I though it was one of the cheaper places. I guess if your far out from town then it can be pricey. Are you near a beach even? OR is there anything recreational to do near where you are?

My main reason for going would be to save, I hear they pay around 1500 euro a month?
    Would you be able to give a rough monthly cost for say a phone bill, internet and groceries? Sorry for all the questions!! I just haven't a breeze and would like to be a bit more informed before the interview.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement