Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Katie Taylor beat an average man in a fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This reminds me of the time Frank Skinner thought he could throw together a group of his celebrity male friends, take on the England women's international football team & beat them, because.. well, they are lads and lads are better than ladies at football.

Not. They had their arses handed to them on a plate after the ladies thrashed them without hardly breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Throw Chris Brown in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

She would beat above average men..rumor has it chuck norris postponned his planned vacation to Ireland..he was babbling about exchange rates and political instability but people could see the terror in his eyes...apparently he dissed her on a super heroes dating website.

foxhole norman chris brown? are ye guys from the typing school? the brown fox jumped over chris normon.X100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Heckler wrote: »
    Against a vicious no holds barred street brawler scumbag whos been in many street fights , biting, headbutting, tearing ears and willing to slam your face into the footpath repeatedly, I'd say no. Against me or anyone like me............i'd run.

At a guess most street brawls go to the ground. Good footwork is useless then and most punches are severely shortened. Knees, maybe elbows and heads come into play. Strength also is a big factor.

I digress. Against a regular joe as described ya she'd probably knock a few lumps outta him alright. I wouldn't mess with her.
    No. Not a hope. The scumbag would be knackered running around trying to get close to her after 20 seconds, then she'd hit him once and it would be all over. Do you have any idea of the pounds pressure one of these athletes exert in a punch? Bare fisted punch, your arm would snap from one punch, no joking at all. As in off to hospital to get a plaster fitted. If you took a punch to the ribs, your ribs would be broken. To the head, and you no longer have control of your body. Ever watched Jackass where one of the clowns gets put in the ring with a Thai Boxer? (A ham and eggs Thai boxer). Going easy, the Thai lad destroys Jackass boy within seconds, at no risk whatsoever to himself. Up against any Olympic standard boxer, a man who was not also a skilled boxer would look like a child getting beaten by an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

The overhang on the average Irishman would crush her. As he fell from the boxing he got.

It'd be nice to see a women batter the crap out of him to see how he likes it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Better one: Makikomi vs Katie, for the honour Boards.

But OP, no, most men (and women) woud be utterly destroyed by her.

In a boxing match, she's hammer him.

In a brawl, he's just throw her around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Average 5'10 male, 14 fucking stone? that's 196lbs!

I'm 6ft and 165 lbs. I'm not a small guy either:confused:

Even if I was that weight in pure muscle I'd have my ass handed back to me black and blue by her.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Average 5'10 male, 14 fucking stone? that's 196lbs!

Are you insinuating that the OP is a fat bastard?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though not really a fan of the pugilist arts I'd pay to see that*. I suspect Ms Taylor though a god fearing lass would do that fight for nothing more than a whip around for her local church. And for the lulz.

Ms Katie Taylor, Olympic Gold medalist, world champion Katie Taylor. Been in hundreds of bouts. Probably thousands. Now look at her face. She's a fine looking young woman. This may be an indicator of her prowess. Look at Muhammed Ali in his prime. Good looking man. There's a reason for that...

I have to say I'm an admirer of hers. Seems like a very together and quiet person who lets her long honed skills and talent speak for her. Good luck to her and TBH questions like this make me throw my eyes up to heaven. If parallel universes exist I like to think those talking big are in the ring with her as we speak in one of them getting their arses handed to them on a plate.

*I've watched her fights when they've come on. Both from the oul patriotism angle and because I love to watch people who excel, even in things I'm not particularly interested in. Shít I even watched a premier darts match once because the chubby English lad chucking the little pub arrows was a complete master.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

DanWall wrote: »
    I would not like to be married to her

Not sure why not. :eek: http://cdn.independent.ie/multimedia/dynamic/01088/katie-taylor_1088604t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Are you insinuating that the OP is a fat bastard?

Not at all but I don't think that's average weight for someone of that height

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Am I meant to answer yes to the thread title or no to the question in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Pottler wrote: »
    No. Not a hope. The scumbag would be knackered running around trying to get close to her after 20 seconds, then she'd hit him once and it would be all over. Do you have any idea of the pounds pressure one of these athletes exert in a punch? Bare fisted punch, your arm would snap from one punch, no joking at all. As in off to hospital to get a plaster fitted. If you took a punch to the ribs, your ribs would be broken. To the head, and you no longer have control of your body. Ever watched Jackass where one of the clowns gets put in the ring with a Thai Boxer? (A ham and eggs Thai boxer). Going easy, the Thai lad destroys Jackass boy within seconds, at no risk whatsoever to himself. Up against any Olympic standard boxer, a man who was not also a skilled boxer would look like a child getting beaten by an adult.

Sorry now but you think a full on punch to the arm from Taylor would break your arm ? Shes good, she's not ironman/woman. Granted a good punch can break a rib. You don't have to be trained to do that just strong. Everything you mentioned related to strength. Anybody hitting anybody else in the head can daze the hell outta them. Anyone with a modicum of strength can sucker punch and have a person seeing stars.

Also I believe a fairly decent thai boxer would make a mess outta Taylor.

My point is how many toe to toe street fights do you ever see that last more than 10 seconds ? None. They go to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Yes, this average man is definitely considerably overweight and should probably consult with a cardiologist before fighting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

And secondly there's some fierce unfounded sh1te being blathered out in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Considering she often spars with male boxers who have Olympic medals amongst other accolades and manages to hold her own, she would completely destroy the vast majority of men.

garv123 wrote: »
    Am I meant to answer yes to the thread title or no to the question in the thread?

I dunno man..would not have expected it would have lead to you such a quandary.
    maybe no the title and yes to the question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Heckler wrote: »
    Against a vicious no holds barred street brawler scumbag whos been in many street fights , biting, headbutting, tearing ears and willing to slam your face into the footpath repeatedly, I'd say no. Against me or anyone like me............i'd run.

At a guess most street brawls go to the ground. Good footwork is useless then and most punches are severely shortened. Knees, maybe elbows and heads come into play. Strength also is a big factor.

I digress. Against a regular joe as described ya she'd probably knock a few lumps outta him alright. I wouldn't mess with her.

Saw one of these "hard men" try it against an off duty very very average Manchester Police club boxer, "c'mon ya b&$t@rd let's see what ya can do without yer mates" two strikes in it cop struck scumbag, scumbag struck the deck. He just wasn't fast enough to get in close and do any damage before running into a fist. So imagine what someone capable of winning an Olympic gold would do to him, probably terminal damage if she hit him full power to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

If you're 14st for 5'10 then you're out of shape. I'd put a put money on any boxer, male or female that competes internationally, against the average joe especially one thats out of shape.
    Pottler wrote: »
    This. I've sparred with a European Champion Kickboxer and I did ok, he hit me, I hit him, nobody was humiliated

No surprise there, Boxers that train twice a day six days a week are a different kettle of fish to Kickboxers both in fitness levels and in ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I think a lot of people are underestimating:

a) how fast she is
    b) how hard she hits
    c) the damage her bare knuckles would do
    d) how unfit the average man is compared to her (two minutes of fighting is truly exhausting)
    e) how much better she can take a punch than the average man

Katie would leave the average man in a bloody, bawling mess in a matter seconds and better than average ones in minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

In the ring? She'd absolutely annihilate them. Out of the ring, the size, strength and weight difference would mean all the man would have to do is shoulder charge her to the ground, use their weight to keep her down and pummel her. That's just the reality of it. It's not an absolute, but it's extremely likely. (I'm taking 'some fighting experience' to mean the man would be able to realise this of course and not attempt to stand up and trade with her.)

A top female MMA fighter comparable to Katie's ability in boxing (I'm unaware if one exists at present) would make it more of an unsure question, as she would be incredibly gifted in reacting to and defending against take downs of any kind (which Katie has never trained to deal with) so could possibly neutralize this, and use her training to wipe the floor with him while doing so. But there is still a huge weight and strength difference and the man could still come out on top.

(This isn't an MMA is better than boxing thing or anything, I much prefer boxing and rate the top boxers far higher than I do the top MMA guys personally, but I feel it would make more of a difference in the given scenario.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Peetrik wrote: »
    If you're 14st for 5'10 then you're out of shape. I'd put a put money on any boxer, male or female that competes internationally, against the average joe especially one thats out of shape.

No surprise there, Boxers that train twice a day six days a week are a different kettle of fish to Kickboxers both in fitness levels and in ability.
    That was exactly my point. I'm under no illusions. My sons kickbox, at their club there are a number of European rated fighters, I can happily fight against them, they'll not be of such a class that they hurt me or make me look bad. I also know a good lightweight boxer well. Not for diamonds would I get in and spar with him, cos he'd bust my head open just messing and I would not even see what it was that he hit me with, his hands are so fast. Like I said, different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

When Katie decides shes had enough of fair fitting I think she should spend her time boxing the sh**e out of the many scumbags that think the're big lads hitting women .A sort of " jim will fix it " for all the women that suffer from domestic abuse , send Katie a letter and she could meet the bloke and sort the problem !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think a lot of people are underestimating:

a) how fast she is
    b) how hard she hits
    c) the damage her bare knuckles would do
    d) how unfit the average man is compared to her (two minutes of fighting is truly exhausting)
    e) how much better she can take a punch than the average man

Katie would leave the average man in a bloody, bawling mess in a matter seconds and better than average ones in minutes.

a) agree. Shes fast.
    b) somewhat agree. She can hit hard. Lots of untrained people can hit hard because they are naturally strong.
    C) disagree. Some difference between hitting someone with a glove on and bare knuckle. A full power bare knuckle fist to the crown of someones skull and you are likely to break fingers.
    D) Agree. Shes fit as ****. Not that way.....the other....
    E) somewhat agree. She has learned to take a punch form a trained fighter with gloves. Different than a bare knuckle punch but defo an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think people are confusing violence with fighting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Boxing is probably the lowest skilled of mainstream combat arts. Im confident that i would have a credible chance if a boxer came towards me throwing punches, that i could dip and take them down by their knees. Idiots would enter into a fist fight though which would be idiotic. I remember a boxer James Toney tried to enter into MMA and fought Randy Couture. He was a complete embarrassment.

Most fights are basically judo and wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would think that, male or female, if there was a substantial size difference and particularly, weight difference, then in a real fight (rather than a boxing match where she would kick seven shades of ****e out of a non-boxer, even with a huge size difference), the boxer would probably have a chance to land a punch or two and finish it before it started but if it got into a grappling situation, the extra weight and strength of the heavier person would win through.

I would think that an average man - say 5ft 10 and 70kg would probably beat Katie Taylor in a fight, a quick knockout punch notwithstanding. If you've ever banged your head off an open press in the kitchen or a door frame it's easy to imagine a person who's not used to getting hit in the head being easy to knock down.

It would scale a bit differently with a small male boxer (55kg for example), and the probability of being able to land a punch that would knock you the **** out would be a bit higher, but a slightly above average, 6ft 80kg man would win 8 times out of 10, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Boxing is probably the lowest skilled of mainstream combat arts.

You have no idea what you're talking about