Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Text Message Received

• 02-05-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I received the following text message today and was wondering did anyone else get this scam text yet?

Your Mobile Number has won £900,000.00GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey. Send Claim Code (7482920) to email:iphoneinc1@aol.co.uk

It came from this number :00 353 (86) 857 1663

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Got it about a week and a half ago. Just ignored it. I'm sure Apple will be in touch via E-Mail to confirm my winnings in due course:p

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

Delete it and don't respond to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud#SMS_messages
    A recent (mid 2011) innovation is the use of a Premium Rate 'call back' number (instead of a web site or email) in the SMS. On calling the number, the victim is first reassured that 'they are a winner' and then subjected to a long series of instructions on how to collect their 'winnings'. During the message there will be frequent instructions to 'ring back in the event of problems'. The call is always 'cut off' just before the victim has the chance note all the details. Some victims call back multiple times in an effort to collect all the details. The scammer thus makes their money out of the fees charged for call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Set up an email account and email it and see what happens next.

Just out of curiosity do you have an iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

BrianD wrote: »
    Set up an email account and email it and see what happens next.

Just out of curiosity do you have an iPhone?

Yeah I have a 4S why?

Just wondering if the spammers are just taking a punt that the user may have an iPhone or have some database of iPhone users that they have acquired from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The whole SMS thing needs urgent regulation. It's starting to get really out of hand.
    I know too many stories of people responding to things and discovering that they've been opted into subscription services without their explicit consent.

Don't reply anyway - delete the message and monitor your inbox for anything coming from strange 5XXXX numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

heffo500 wrote: »
    Your Mobile Number has won £900,000.00GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey. Send Claim Code (7482920) to email:iphoneinc1@aol.co.uk

The aol.co.uk address is the big giveaway there anyway. Aside from the 900,000 obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Solair wrote: »
    The whole SMS thing needs urgent regulation. It's starting to get really out of hand.
    I know too many stories of people responding to things and discovering that they've been opted into subscription services without their explicit consent.

Don't reply anyway - delete the message and monitor your inbox for anything coming from strange 5XXXX numbers.

Just got hit with this today. Just got a text from 57030 to say i subscribed to mobvids for a sign up fee off 2 x 250 euro and 4x250 euro per week.
    I've been around long enough to know better to enter my number in to any site.

So been on to o2 comreg and the people Zamano who sent the text. So all in all I got hit for about 15 euro ringing theses numbers to see how they got my number and try and sort it out.
    Scam at its best.

wush06 wrote: »
    Just got hit with this today. Just got a text from 57030 to say i subscribed to mobvids for a sign up fee off 2 x 250 euro and 4x250 euro per week.
    I've been around long enough to know better to enter my number in to any site.

So been on to o2 comreg and the people Zamano who sent the text. So all in all I got hit for about 15 euro ringing theses numbers to see how they got my number and try and sort it out.
    Scam at its best.

Did you click on any ad banners or use any mobile apps recently?

BrianD wrote: »
    Did you click on any ad banners or use any mobile apps recently?

Honestly the only thing I click on was a link on Twitter but I never put my number in. As soon as I click on the link I got the text message. So I'm not sure if there allow to do this.
    They must have some sort of software to captured your number as soon as you hit the link.

• Advertisement

• there random was on live 95fm talking about it

wush06 wrote: »
    Honestly the only thing I click on was a link on Twitter but I never put my number in. As soon as I click on the link I got the text message. So I'm not sure if there allow to do this.
    They must have some sort of software to captured your number as soon as you hit the link.

Interesting - hold onto that tweet if you can. Was it from someone you know? Do you have the link that was sent and have you tried it on a desktop. I think I may have got a similar tweet this week but I blocked the user before checking out the link.

I was watching clips on goals using my iPhone. Twitter open up an external link on which I click on see more goals. Less then 10 seconds I got a message saying I sign up for the service never did i enter my number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

Funny because I got exactly the same message but from a different phone number. It was 00353868644215. Could they be one big group of scammers using different phone numbers to perpetrate a scam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

And by the way, I looked it up the sender's number through Google and guess what? I got a complaint posted at Callercenter associating the text to a scam.

How come these people are able to send scam texts easily and not get caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

heffo500 wrote: »
    I received the following text message today and was wondering did anyone else get this scam text yet?

It came from this number :00 353 (86) 857 1663

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DataHoover

I have car for sale on Gumtree and have received dodgy texts from 2 places. Just received a second text from same "person". I'm ignoring as they don't even specify make of car in request ... just call it "item". And they want me to reply by email. Why can't I just text back, they can see my ad is bona fida!

Here's what text 1 said:
    "regarding your item,do you still have it,tell me it is condition.reply me back here at benbrucce?gmail.com thanks"
    "regarding your item,do you still have it,tell me it is condition.reply me back here at benbrucce[at]gmail.com thanks Sent Using:F.S.C"

Just noticed that second text came from a different number. These are the 2 numbers, could they be from US? :-S +18018157816 +12026441944

The other text came from a username, not a number that I can reply to and asked to send email in reply (not sure why he just didn't email in the first place, so deeming this one dodgy too!)

"I've just seen your ad on Gumtree. Do you still have the Car for sale? send me message to ????@gmail.com for reply"

I'm leaving out actual email address in case it is valid and I'm missing a good buyer :-S

Signed, Confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phil nulty

Its a scam! just tried to buy a tablet I was selling. Sent in a fake paypal (acctverifications1@accountant.com) email with the usual over the odds amount.

the text came from +18018157816 knew it was a scam but let it go all the way so it could be reported.

this one went by the the name
    Jenifer Reece
    Babatunde Kayode .
    No 84, Ring road
    Ibadan, oyo state
    Nigeria

goes with +2348185063986

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DataHoover

well, that's another exposed. Thanks Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

phil nulty wrote: »
    Its a scam! just tried to buy a tablet I was selling. Sent in a fake paypal (acctverifications1@accountant.com) email with the usual over the odds amount.

the text came from +18018157816 knew it was a scam but let it go all the way so it could be reported.

this one went by the the name
    Jenifer Reece
    Babatunde Kayode .
    No 84, Ring road
    Ibadan, oyo state
    Nigeria

goes with +2348185063986

Why am I not surprised:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 phil nulty

She just emailed me again! are these people dumb? reported to paypal, gmail and the domain reg also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I keep getting txts from AIB telling me to re-register for online banking as my account is compromised.

Strange as i'm not even an AIB customer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I keep getting txts from AIB telling me to re-register for online banking as my account is compromised.

Strange as i'm not even an AIB customer

Scam
    Aib NEVER send out text messages

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulinem

omg please is there any way i can stop a parcel reaching that address you have mentioned i am a victium of this jenifer reeves ,i only posted a parcel thursday it left ireland at 505 am i was too late to stop it from this side ,i was told it takes 5 days to reach Nigeria ,i have tracking code ,that's how i found out it only left friday i am so sick ,how stupidet i was ,but with ireland re session i thought it was genuine with no work here she tried to tell me its for her daughter thats why i fell for it ,but as yesterday was going on i felt sicker ,pay pal cant help i was on to them ,i went to guards nothing ,i m after been in touch with the fraud team in Nigeria but after reading with thousands reporting it ,it could take them 3 months to even open email,just wondering anyone out there can give advice before it reaches that address how would i stop it id be most grateful for any advice thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChunkyNorris

paulinem wrote: »
    omg please is there any way i can stop a parcel reaching that address you have mentioned i am a victium of this jenifer reeves ,i only posted a parcel thursday it left ireland at 505 am i was too late to stop it from this side ,i was told it takes 5 days to reach Nigeria ,i have tracking code ,that's how i found out it only left friday i am so sick ,how stupidet i was ,but with ireland re session i thought it was genuine with no work here she tried to tell me its for her daughter thats why i fell for it ,but as yesterday was going on i felt sicker ,pay pal cant help i was on to them ,i went to guards nothing ,i m after been in touch with the fraud team in Nigeria but after reading with thousands reporting it ,it could take them 3 months to even open email,just wondering anyone out there can give advice before it reaches that address how would i stop it id be most grateful for any advice thank you

3 things;

1. If you have a tracker and it is still in transit you should be able to stop it,
    2. You're some gobshyte, and
    3. I'm out of breath reading that, don't know whether to believe you or not to be honest.

CHUNKY NORIS i don't care whether you believe me or not? but i hope for yourself your so perfect and it never happens to you or your family we are not all computer experts ,and for transit ,you must not have read my message it left ireland at 505 yesterday morning ,and the head post office in dublin saidthey could do nothing as it already left so much for paying register post ,dont bother replying i just hope it never happens to you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChunkyNorris

paulinem wrote: »
    CHUNKY NORIS i don't care whether you believe me or not? but i hope for yourself your so perfect and it never happens to you or your family we are not all computer experts ,and for transit ,you must not have read my message it left ireland at 505 yesterday morning ,and the head post office in dublin saidthey could do nothing as it already left so much for paying register post ,dont bother replying i just hope it never happens to you

I won't. The clue is in the word NIGERIA by the way. If you used full stops you might be a bit more believable.

unfortunate for me ,it has happened to me only thursday, they got me big time,im only knew to computers ,i would not know a lot ,people are saying bad things ,like i should have copped it? sure if i did i wouldn't be in this boat ,we are all not that advanced when it comes to selling and buying over internet ,so for those that think it's a joke i hope it never happens to ye im with you a 100% the word should be out there about these sms messages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I actually got this message too, I followed through and actually got the money. I am so happy, worked out to be just over a million euro. Bought myself a brand new pent house apartment as well as a really nice BMW, second hand but still worth a good bit.

I haven't actually got the money yet, because I had to send some money and my back account details to an escrow service based out of Nigeria, but when I told my bank manager about it he said he see no reason why he can't lend me money based on this evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mlwhelan

Just read this!!
    Wow you are so lucky!

Very good :)

"I actually got this message too, I followed through and actually got the money. I am so happy, worked out to be just over a million euro. Bought myself a brand new pent house apartment as well as a really nice BMW, second hand but still worth a good bit.

I haven't actually got the money yet, because I had to send some money and my back account details to an escrow service based out of Nigeria, but when I told my bank manager about it he said he see no reason why he can't lend me money based on this evidence".

Advertisement