Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

You don't think young lads are pressured into playing GAA?

It might keep them out of trouble in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.
    this posts annoys me, simply because i can go to any football(soccer) ground in the country and never feel intimidated!i have been to all bar 2 in both premier and first division and have only once seen a fight,which was between two lads pissed supporting the same team!go to gaelic football matches regularly in both my home and neighbouring county and have witnessed a ridiculous number of fights between fans from different sets of supporters!the gaa has a far worse record for crowd violence in this country than football ever will!thats a fact,look up all the articles,even starting with under 14 county finals and stuff lile that,its an issue that needs to be taken more seriously in the organistion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I appreciate the skill and effort involved and respect GAA more than ****e like cricket, but I still don't care about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

fryup wrote: »
    the GAA the sport & leisure wing of Sinn Fein
    And your location says you are on planet earth...are you sure about that?

I've loved GAA since I was a child tbh. Used to play rounders as a child, and played hurling as an adult (I aim to pick up my hurley during the summer and play with my club once again). If I can, I'll watch it when it's on tv, and go to some games when I can (college games, and county). Dont get me wrong, I'm not a die hard fan, or anything like it...but there's something about the GAA games that is special to me, and hurling is an amazing sport to watch, playing it can be tough, but fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I strongly dislike it

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Love it, 3 greatest games in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I dont mind the sport at all, but the GAA as an organization and managers are complete fools. I deal with them and hear about people I know who have to deal with them regularly and they're just a mess. Some of the actions they make and things they ask/say is downright infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I went to a Christian Brothers school in the 1960's. They put me off the GAA for life with their pro-GAA anti-soccer rantings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

McTigs wrote: »
    Love hurling, fantastic game so great to watch.

Absolutely can't ****ing stand Gealic football. It's ridiculous, all that pulling and dragging, there's no flow to it whatsoever. It must have the lowest skillset of any team sport anywhewre. dreadful dreadful game.

And it's all they know how to play in mayo which says it all really

Feel the exact same. I love the hurling but I am starting to get bored watching Gaelic football. Hurling is a fantastic sport. The fastest field game in the world. I used to love Gaelic Football but have grown tired of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

flas wrote: »
    this posts annoys me, simply because i can go to any football(soccer) ground in the country and never feel intimidated!i have been to all bar 2 in both premier and first division and have only once seen a fight,which was between two lads pissed supporting the same team!go to gaelic football matches regularly in both my home and neighbouring county and have witnessed a ridiculous number of fights between fans from different sets of supporters!the gaa has a far worse record for crowd violence in this country than football ever will!thats a fact,look up all the articles,even starting with under 14 county finals and stuff lile that,its an issue that needs to be taken more seriously in the organistion!

Your talking complete nonsense

chughes wrote: »
    I went to a Christian Brothers school in the 1960's. They put me off the GAA for life with their pro-GAA anti-soccer rantings.

We live in a different world. the GAA is not ruled by the christian brothers anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭FierceMild

Sorry if this point has been posted already, but I find it amazing that people here are posting that Gaelic football is somehow inferior because it requires less of a skill set than other sports such as soccer or rugby e.g it's merely kicking, catching and running etc.

By the same token tennis isn't really a proper sport since all it requires is hitting a ball with a racquet. Same with any kind of athletics. Isn't it merely running and jumping essentially? Sure anyone can do that!

The point is that it dosen't matter how difficult it is to catch and kick a football but rather the level it is played at. Colm Cooper or Peter Canavan wouldn't be lauded as such great sportsmen if they were competing against sunday pub teams constantly instead of the top players from the thousands that play the sport on this island. For example, their ability to land a point from an angle that allows less than 2 ft of error from 25 yards with 82,000 people watching is an example of extreme proficency in a difficult skill, and should be applauded as such.

Anyone can run 100 metres, but it takes years an individual who has gone through years of practicing proper running technique and physical conditioning as well as mental prepartation to run 100 metres in under 10 seconds for one specific race against other top athletes.

I won't even start on hurling cos anyone who says that hurling dosen't require much skill has obviously never played the sport competively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Zebra3 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/two-found-guilty-of-assault-croke-park-final-3037630.html

The GAA has shown itself to be the most bigotted, petty minded sports organisation.

Its' history is littered with crap like The Ban whereby grown meant went to watch other sports and if they saw other GAA members there, they'd write their names down in a little book and run back to the local clubhouse and rat on them.

Real f***ing hard men, eh? :rolleyes:

And then there are its very close links to the child rapists of the Catholic church, even allowing some RC bishops to throw the ball in at a match while kitted out in their religious dresses. How open minded is that towards those of other religions and none? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how some "foreign" sports were banned from their ground (like football and rugby) while others like boxing and American football were more than welcome. Nice bit of hypocrisy there....

And then there is the ban they imposed on certain Irish people from being involved in their sports.....

Inclusive? Community minded?

You must be joking.

The GAA simply reflects everything about small minded Ireland.
    You wouldn't know it though seeing as how the GAA as an organisation itself has sweeped a lot of that under the carpet. I'v always seen it as an organisation designed for one community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

We live in a different world. the GAA is not ruled by the christian brothers anymore

I know that Jimmy. When you're a kid you're very impressionable. As a Dubliner going to a Dublin school we were barred from playing soccer in the yard and, as all of the brothers were from outside Dublin, they used to call us sasanachs if we didn't play GAA. I know its a long time ago but they put me off it then I haven't paid too much attention to it since.

I realise that younger people mind not relate to what I'm saying as the Christian Brothers are pretty much gone but their behaviour then had such an effect on me that I still hold the views that I formed back then of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

2ndcoming wrote: »
    While I have great respect for the skills and fitness required to play Gaelic football or hurling, I don't think it's fair to say that it brings communities together.

It is incredibly insular and cliquey at club level. GAA families predominate where the Dads hang around the club the whole time trying to increase their kid's chances of making the team, and the mothers hang around the whole time gossiping with each other over rumours they've heard about other people's children ("did you hear her young lad's gone down a bad road?"), or other people's husbands ("I heard he lost the lot/I heard he's riding yer wan from the post office") all while making a few sangitches for the lads.

I don't know about the gossip,I go watch my kids play and support my club.

For the massive fundraising power it has, which really has no equal in Ireland, the vast amount (match gates, etc.) goes direct to HQ (if not into the pocket of the cute hoor working the gate first). It rarely in my experience does anything to support non-GAA related local issues, or indeed non-GAA related local sports or amenities.

The club I'm a member of makes all it's facilities available to all local sports and agencies.Soccer,athletics,boy scouts,kettle bell training as well as a host of charity and events in the community.

I regularly "work the gates" of my present club and have worked the doors and gates of my old club and worked voluntarily behind the bar and have never heard of anyone pocketing money,I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would steal from their own club.

Sure they'll have a few charity do's a year and pat themselves on the back, but between widespread illegal payments to managers at just about all levels and codes and the amount that goes straight to the big pot at head office, there's a lot more good things that could be done locally with those funds.

This is my eight year managing,coaching,mentoring etc at all levels ,I must be owed a fortune at this stage and I,ve yet to see a penny other than expenses for club related text messages and phone calls.

How would you suggest a local GAA club improves itself

That's not to say it does no good, the good it does will probably make a load of people try and tear this post apart, but for me it could certainly do a lot more, and the insular nature of it is it's own worst enemy in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

chughes wrote: »

I know that Jimmy. When you're a kid you're very impressionable. As a Dubliner going to a Dublin school we were barred from playing soccer in the yard and, as all of the brothers were from outside Dublin, they used to call us sasanachs if we didn't play GAA. I know its a long time ago but they put me off it then I haven't paid too much attention to it since.

I realise that younger people mind not relate to what I'm saying as the Christian Brothers are pretty much gone but their behaviour then had such an effect on me that I still hold the views that I formed back then of the GAA.

Translation: you were crap at football, never made the team but at least you got a good stereotype as a scapegoat for your failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Jacknory wrote: »
    Soccer (football to west brits)

its football, the governing body is FIFA ...International Federation of Association Football :P

You entirely missed the word Association (soccer) before Football. I passed a sign saying "Wanderers Football Club. Established 1870" yesterday. It's a rugby club. As in Rugby Football, like Gaelic Football, American Football and, yes, Association Football. It is a recent phenomenon for the British soccer business to try to monopolise the word "football" for their own sport. Promoted by British tv companies, the supple plebs are now imitating it. All of them plainly ignorant of the fact that before 1863, when soccer was invented/codified, many of its "football" predecessors in England involved using hands, quite like Gaelic Football actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, but if there's any sport in the world that should be called football it has to be ...football (soccer)

i.e. the ball is kicked with the foot 99% of the time

and as for american football:rolleyes: don't get me started when do they ever use the foot?? only time is when the ball is kicked over the bar after a touchdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

I can't understand the bile and loathing being shown to hurling and football. I find certain sports boring myself but I wouldn't be angry at the mere mention of the sports as some posters are here

For me the only reason to like or dislike a sport is whether you find it interesting to play/watch or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hate the gah. What they tried to do to Shamrock Rovers was vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You don't think young lads are pressured into playing GAA?

I've never witnessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Jesus but this thread makes me question boards sometimes.

Who gives a $hite whether you play hurling or tiddlywinks or running or singing so long as you're out there involved in something?!?! Why do the GAA heads feel they've to knock other sports? And why do the haters of the GAA feel the need to reduce their insults to "ah they're all a crowd of bigots/Sinn Féiners/culchies/boggers". If people have ANY sort of outlet that gives them some exercise, a distraction, a hobby, a social circle- who gives a crap whether it's something you approve of or not if it's not affecting your everyday life? Life is hard enough these days without feeling you've to justify your flippin hobby as well as your job or lack thereof.

Yeah, the GAA has many imperfections. There are a lot of improvements that need to be made in many areas. But they've also changed a HUGE amount in the past 10 years or so- making changes that in particular would have deeply upset their members from Northern counties. But they made those changes for the greater good, and hopefully other changes that need to be made will be done for the greater good too.

I'm not a particular fan of rugby. I have dealt with a number of people who certainly have an air of superiority due to their involvement in the sport- but I would never let that get in the way of being glad to see Ireland do well in the 6 Nations for example. Best of luck to them. There are hurlers and Gaelic footballers the length and breadth of the country who probably love themselves too, but I still love the GAA overall.

My father's first love in sport is hurling. As in he's obsessed. Loves Gaelic Football too, but he's a hurling man. He has achieved massive success due to the GAA, but I actually think he would watch and support anything that has an element of competition, skill, excitement, atmosphere, and maybe a bit of luck. Sure, some might appeal to you more than others, but that's what's so great about the whole thing- something for everyone, and each to their own.

Cos that's sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

GAA a game for thugs played by knackers, nothing but an excuse for a riot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

lividduck wrote: »

No, riots take place at other sporting events. I was in Lansdowne when the last riot took place at a sporting event in Ireland. I have seen fights at Gaelic Football, Soccer and Rugby, nothing new in that. What sport are you involved in yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, but if there's any sport in the world that should be called football it has to be ...football (soccer)

i.e. the ball is kicked with the foot 99% of the time

and as for american football:rolleyes: don't get me started when do they ever use the foot?? only time is when the ball is kicked over the bar after a touchdown
    You think it's confusing here, try Australia where rugby union, league and aussie rules are all called 'footie'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

thegen wrote: »
    No, riots take place at other sporting events. I was in Lansdowne when the last riot took place at a sporting event in Ireland. I have seen fights at Gaelic Football, Soccer and Rugby, nothing new in that. What sport are you involved in yourself?
    Golf.
    Cant remember the last time a Soccer or Rugby referee was assualted, knocked out, or locked in the boot of a car, cant ever remember scenes of two teams and their supporters milling into each such as at the junior SF in Portlaoise in January either.
    The GAA is thuggerrry by knackers and muck savages who would be banned from any proper sporting organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Hate the gah. What they tried to do to Shamrock Rovers was vile.

What was that?

thegen wrote: »
    Golf.
    Cant rfemember the last time a Soccer or Rugby referee was assualted, knocked out, or locked in the boot of a car, cant ever remeber scenes of two teams and their supporters milling into each such as at the junior SF in Portlaoise in January either.
    The GAA is thuggerrry by knackers and muck savages who would be banned from any proper sporting organization.

Shut up you troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You little cutie. Can we keep him please???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement