Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering project, leaving cert 2012

• 13-10-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

What does everyone think about the project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

We haven't got ours yet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Can the title of this thread be changed to Engineering Project, it's misleading because there is a Junior Cert subject that is called Metalwork and has a Project too... :)

Ya, this year they've to make a Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV), our school got the Brief today.. my first impression was that it was ok, until I realised that it has to be steered and powered by the front wheels. And each wheel has to be able to move independently.. so you'd be looking at three motors, all powered by 9V.

For me, that's the most difficult part. It's going to have to be light- acrylic or sheet metal. Looking forward to it though, it's not entirely different to the Snowmobile last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I was expecting it to be a lot worse after the snowmobile last year. It'll be a challenge but it leaves a lot up to your own design. Plenty of scope for creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

And each wheel has to be able to move independently.. so you'd be looking at three motors, all powered by 9V.
    Ahh no? At no point does it say each wheel has to be able to move independently. It says the two front wheels have to be powered individually. I suggest having a wee read of the brief again before ye start building :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Got the brief today and already know exactly how I'm gonna do it, too much time spent on RC cars... :D

• Advertisement

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Got the brief today and already know exactly how I'm gonna do it, too much time spent on RC cars... :D

Care to share it with us? :D

Care to share it with us? :D

Sure :) Chassis, wheels, track, motor.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheRealRail

i got th brief there and was wondering do the front wheels have th be able to turn even thow it has to be front wheel drive.. or could you steer it from th bck instead???

i got th brief there and was wondering do the front wheels have th be able to turn even thow it has to be front wheel drive.. or could you steer it from th bck instead???

"Include a steering mech. for the front wheels" front steering.

Gonna be a challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 conorfitz

Can anyone put up a photocopy of the brief?
    Or even write out all the details which it must include please!

Much appreciated,

conorfitz

Brief: Design a model of a Lunar Roving Vehicle to the general specifications outlined below.

The LRV should:
    a) Have propulsion units to provide individual drives for both front wheels;
    b) Incorporate a central switching console to operate the front wheels;
    c) Include a steering mechanism for the front wheels;
    d) Have seating capacity for the driver only.

Presentation of the completed project should ensure that:
    a) All main operating features are clearly visible without dismantling;
    b) The longest dimension of the model must not exceed 350mm;
    c) Electric power does not exceed 9V.

Will throw the rest up later!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conorfitz

Thanks a million :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

God I would have loved this instead of the snowmobile I had to design/make last year.

A handy tip:
    Get your brief finished over the mid term break, otherwise you'll be under huge pressure come March/April.

Am I right in sayin' it has to be done for March 2nd?

Edit: anyone no where to get a sample brief for some ideas?

Ya March 2nd

Got my snowmobile from last year back today. Broke my heart thinking about having to do another project this year! As someone who did it last year as well I have to second what partyatmygaff said. Get your brief done. Do it as you do your project or you'll be under unnecessary pressure near the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mousi

sorry about the wrong heading for this i completely forgot.

but a quick question, i know the brief says "incorporater a central switching console to operater the front wheels" but i was wondering if i made a wireless remote control and have the switch on that would that be good enough to satisfy the examiner?

cheers
    mousi

That would absolutely satisfy the examiner! I was just gonna make a simple remote control, but wireless now that's interesting! How might one achieve this??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mousi

my metal work teacher was telling me to take a part a rc car and get my barrings from that and see what i would need to put into it and see how much work would have to be done, but he said that it would be very do-able..
    would we get docked mark if we copied a design of a rc car remote control?

cheers
    mousi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That would absolutely satisfy the examiner! I was just gonna make a simple remote control, but wireless now that's interesting! How might one achieve this??
    FM Radio and servos.

FM Radio and servos.

Stop giving people my ideas!
    Was toying with this idea myself last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cnlhernon

So the wheels have to be able to turn with a steering mechanism?. But do the front wheels have to be powered by two seperate motors?

cnlhernon wrote: »
    So the wheels have to be able to turn with a steering mechanism?. But do the front wheels have to be powered by two seperate motors?
    Yes and Yes.
    Did you not read the brief at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

Double post, sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

This seems very Scrapheap Challenge, if only!

What materials are people thinking?
    Obviously engineering is seen as a follow-on from metalwork; but most of my plan is plastic ATM.
    I'm having Aluminium mud-guard looking things on the back, for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Billtop

The project can have no hidden parts - all visible - so clear perspex base might be a good idea, maybe 6mm thick. That would make attaching easier plus adds a bit of structure. You can't go wrong with 1.5mm aluminium for other parts.

Billtop wrote: »
    The project can have no hidden parts - all visible - so clear perspex base might be a good idea, maybe 6mm thick. That would make attaching easier plus adds a bit of structure. You can't go wrong with 1.5mm aluminium for other parts.

Would having to look underneath the chassis of the project to see it parts count as being visible or do they have to be seen from the top?

As long as nothing has to be dismantled to be seen you're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Hello, I just got the brief today. I have a couple of questions and suggestions.

"Incorporate a central switching console to operate the front wheels"
    I have no idea how to intemperate this for my folio. Would anyone care to elaborate please. Does this mean that the 2 front wheels need to be completely independant of each other?

"Electric power does not exceed 9 volts."
    Please correct me if i'm wrong but i think i remember doing something in physics last year, that no matter how batteries you have in the system, the power does not change.
    It's sort of 2 9v batteries put ou 9v but an 18v battery (if it exists) puts out 18v?

Lastly I see people looking into RC and wireless... why?
    I mean this machine wasn't RC from earth by NASA (or those sneaky Chinese). It was driven like a normal car only powered by electricity. The astronaut drove it. My idea for the propulsion was simple, batteries powering 2 motors.

Advertisement