Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has my phone got spyware on it?!!

• 25-02-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Got my handset back from VF after repair the other day. The only app I installed since then is Droid Blocker.

Since then I've received 2 notifications on my phone (see image attached). Have I inadvertently installed spyware onto my phone? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Uninstall it and then run norton app or lookout security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Search the market for Airpush detector . It really needs a sticky at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

subway wrote: »
    Search the market for Airpush detector . It really needs a sticky at this stage

Good shout Subway!!!!

Fecking Droid Blocker was the culprit.

No bother, seems like more and more apps using this form of advertising. It's a real pain and very intrusive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Got my handset back from VF after repair the other day. The only app I installed since then is Droid Blocker.

Since then I've received 2 notifications on my phone (see image attached). Have I inadvertently installed spyware onto my phone? :eek:

lots of apps do that....it is blockable....if it annoys you...just get their paid version for free......revenge+ no adds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I've never seen it before with any other app I've downloaded so was just freaking out when I saw it. All I need now is a decent call blocking app that doesn't include all that spam crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Nothing mucks up your phone faster then a few badly chosen apps...I've stopped adding unless I absolutely need them.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Are apps. from market only always safe .I avoid 3rd party .

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

paddyandy wrote: »
    Are apps. from market only always safe .I avoid 3rd party .
    Not all android apps on the market are legit/safe, Google don't have a QA-style thing for submissions (yet) and the Cost of Entry is cheap. Some 'malware' has been on there in the past, but if it's bad enough/people complain enough Google remove the apps. It's not common enough to really warrant a full-time anti-virus as long as you read the permisions and don't install something that needs full internet access/contacts/SMS if it's a flashlight. [x]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If you do need antivirus though I use Webroot Mobile Security, the free edition from the marketplace.

Seems to work quite well, I've had issues with lookout in the past draining battery for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

avast have a free version for android

just to note, none of these antivirus solutions actually check for airpush, do they?
    avast definitely doesnt in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Why this fascination with anti-virus solutions for Android?
    Even Google have come out with a statement saying they are completely pointless and useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes anti virus is pointless on Android.

Google also have a new thing called the Bouncer which automatically scans the market checking for high risk apps and removing them or flagging them for human review if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I recommend Ad Network Detector.

Advertisement