Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock or Ashtown?

• 30-01-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi my first thread closed I dont know why so I make this new.
    Someone who live in Castleknock or Ashtown?

First thread many people say Dublin 1 there is many heroin addict, so I decide live longer away from city center.
    Can you recommend this area and why is this good or bad place?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Would you not rather somewhere posh like Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Dublin 1 there is many heroin addict

I am going to love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 navsat

darkman2 wrote: »
    Would you not rather somewhere posh like Finglas?

I dont understand what you mean. Posh what is that? and I will not live in Finglas. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Castleknock > Ashtown

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You should not believe everything you hear from random people on the internet about junkies. There's loads of good places to live which are very central.

navsat wrote: »

First thread many people say Dublin 1 there is many heroin addict, so I decide live longer away from city center.

Thank you very much.

A little more detail would help:

Where about are you planning on working?

How long of a commute are you willing to have?

What modes of transport are you willing to use -- ie walking, cycling, buses, trains, driving?

Do you want to live somewhere where shops etc are walking distance from you?

Have you lived in other cities before? Which ones?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A spot of trollage here i think..

Degsy wrote: »
    A spot of trollage here i think..

Feels like a borderline case, was willing to give them the benefit of doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

monument wrote: »
    Feels like a borderline case, was willing to give them the benefit of doubt.

NEVER give the benefit of the doubt! :pac:

monument wrote: »
    You should not believe everything you hear from random people on the internet about junkies. There's loads of good places to live which are very central.

A little more detail would help:

Where about are you planning on working?

How long of a commute are you willing to have?

What modes of transport are you willing to use -- ie walking, cycling, buses, trains, driving?

Do you want to live somewhere where shops etc are walking distance from you?

Have you lived in other cities before? Which ones?

I will work in city center. Walking distance to shops will be very nice.
    Castleknock have many shops in walking distance?

Does Castleknock have a supermarket? I was told that there is no Dunnes up there because that is where the owners of Dunnes actually live.

• Advertisement

I will work in city center. Walking distance to shops will be very nice.
    Castleknock have many shops in walking distance?

Where do you come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Does Castleknock have a supermarket? I was told that there is no Dunnes up there because that is where the owners of Dunnes actually live.

Not really, the center of castleknock is more like a village. There is a Spar and a petrol station shop for groceries. I read rumours that there might have been an Aldi coming but that doesn't seem to have panned out.

Saying that though, it has bus and road links to the City Centre, Blanchardstown shopping centre, Phibsboro, and Tesco Cabra which provide a wide range of shopping choice.

You can get to Superquinn Blanchardstown in like 10 mins tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Are you working north or south of the Liffey?

You can get to Superquinn Blanchardstown in like 10 mins tops.

By car?

By bus it's about 10 mins, walking about 20 and car about 3-5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Thank you very much.

To say dublin 1 is full of addicts is a little misleading. :-) however, if you want to be able to walk to work in the city centre then both these areas are too far. Remember D1 & D2 are both city centre. And in fact D2 has more pubs shops galleries eateries etc than D1.

If you dont want to be in city centre but not too far out, i would reccomend one of the 8 villages running from just south of city centre to the east.
    Harolds cross, rathmines, ranelagh, donnybrook, ballsbridge, beggars bush, sandymount and ringsend.

All of these have good facilities and are generally very nice areas. Much closer to city centre than castlenock too :-) take a look!

liffeylite wrote: »
    To say dublin 1 is full of addicts is a little misleading. :-) however, if you want to be able to walk to work in the city centre then both these areas are too far. Remember D1 & D2 are both city centre. And in fact D2 has more pubs shops galleries eateries etc than D1.

If you dont want to be in city centre but not too far out, i would reccomend one of the 8 villages running from just south of city centre to the east.
    Harolds cross, rathmines, ranelagh, donnybrook, ballsbridge, beggars bush, sandymount and ringsend.

All of these have good facilities and are generally very nice areas. Much closer to city centre than castlenock too :-) take a look!

Many areas you say are in south part. Is north side very bad? I not say Dublin 1 full of addict but other people on forum say that.

They say stay away from Talbot street and oconnell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

liffeylite wrote:
    beggars bush,

There's a village in Beggar's Bush? :eek: ;)

Drumcondra is nice northside and perhaps Phibsboro, thats walking distance.

Many areas you say are in south part. Is north side very bad? I not say Dublin 1 full of addict but other people on forum say that.

Be careful of the trolls under O'Connell Bridge too. :)

What cities are you used to?

Here's what the US Department of State tells it's citizen about crime Ireland, including Dublin:
    CRIME: Ireland has a low rate of violent crime. According to the Irish Central Statistics Office, although there has been a marked drop in most categories of recorded crime, there was an increase in theft, fraud, and public-order offenses during the first three months of 2011 compared to the same period in 2010. There have been a limited number of assaults on foreigners and tourists, including violence toward members of racial minority groups. There have also been several reported assaults in Dublin by small, unorganized gangs roaming the streets in the early morning hours after the pubs close, and a high incidence of petty crime in major tourist areas—mostly theft, burglary, and purse-snatching. Thieves target rental cars and tourists, particularly in the vicinity of tourist attractions. In some cases, purse- and bag-snatching have involved physical assault or violence, especially in Dublin. Take extra caution to guard your passports and wallet. We recommend you leave your passport in a secure location separate from your purse or luggage in case an incident occurs. Do not leave your drinks unattended at bars/restaurants, as there have been some instances of drinks being spiked with illegal substances, leading to incidents of robbery and sexual assaults.

You can take a choice of things from this:

[A] Dublin is a really scary place, or;

Dublin is much like most other cities of its size and has some crime, but generally there's a fairly low rate of crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

liffeylite wrote: »

The places are mentioned are all south side and all run into one another. Nothing against the northside, i just quoted these places as they are all nice areas and they would be easy for you to locate on a map as they all ajoin eachother.

Unprovoked attack happen many time in Dublin? I read in Irish web news attack on finnish teen.

Irish people also scared? this is not ok

Unprovoked attack happen many time in Dublin? I read in Irish web news attack on finnish teen.

Irish people also scared? this is not ok

What?

No, Dublin is generally not a violent place if that is what you are reading on some sensationalist site.

Just act sensibly when you are in Dublin.

If you see a crowd of teenagers, for instance, let them know you are friendly by making a welcoming gesture. Maybe give one of them a little hug.

gurramok wrote: »
    What?

No, Dublin is generally not a violent place if that is what you are reading on some sensationalist site.

Maybe I will go with train to Connolly station. But I want ask if drugdealer or junkie on trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Where are you from navsat? Is your country / county exclusively drug free. I think not. So if you think about it, no where is drug free. There are drugs in castle knock and Ashtown I'm sure. So my point to you is to get over yourself a little. Have a little cop on when you are walking about and you will be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Wofflecopter

troll smells troll-ie

Be careful of connolly station OP, it's very near sherrif street.

Maybe I will go with train to Connolly station. But I want ask if drugdealer or junkie on trains?

And that proves the entire Dublin area is violent? You need to get out of that sheltered rock you are hiding under.

Just ask (in a loud voice) "is anyone here selling drugs?", when you are on the platform of Connolly Station.

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    Where are you from navsat? Is your country / county exclusively drug free. I think not. So if you think about it, no where is drug free. There are drugs in castle knock and Ashtown I'm sure. So my point to you is to get over yourself a little. Have a little cop on when you are walking about and you will be fine!

In this time I live in Zurich, Switzerland. I never see junkie or robbery here.
    All night I can go with no crime happen to me.

Advertisement