Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Horror Channel is showing Stephen King's The Mist directed by Frank Darabont. Famous or should I say infamous for its ending, it starts at ten to twelve tonight the 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Horror Channel is showing Stephen King's The Mist directed by Frank Darabont. Famous or should I say infamous for its ending, it starts at ten to twelve tonight the 4th.

There's an interesting story about the ending. I'm sure you've heard it before but I'll tell it anyway for the benefit of those that haven't.

Frank Darabont directed The Shawshank Redemption. That film was originally supposed to end with Red on the bus, hoping he'd see his friend Andy again, because hope was one of the central messages of the film. He was never actually supposed to meet him. That scene was added much later, at the Studio's insistence, because the original ending didn't play that well with test audiences. Darabont hated the happy ending.

That takes us to The Mist, which for my money contains one of the greatest endings of all time, if not the greatest. The Studio weren't happy with that ending either, and they offered Darabont a larger budget to spend on CGI if he agreed to change it. However, this time he wouldn't budge, so what we get is some slightly dodgy CGI, but an almighty closing scene.

Anyway, that's according to Mark Kermode. I hope it's true. It's a great anecdote. I've had people buy me at least four pints because of it.

There's an interesting story about the ending. I'm sure you've heard it before but I'll tell it anyway for the benefit of those that haven't.

Frank Darabont directed The Shawshank Redemption. That film was originally supposed to end with Red on the bus, hoping he'd see his friend Andy again, because hope was one of the central messages of the film. He was never actually supposed to meet him. That scene was added much later, at the Studio's insistence, because the original ending didn't play that well with test audiences. Darabont hated the happy ending.

That takes us to The Mist, which for my money contains one of the greatest endings of all time, if not the greatest. The Studio weren't happy with that ending either, and they offered Darabont a larger budget to spend on CGI if he agreed to change it. However, this time he wouldn't budge, so what we get is some slightly dodgy CGI, but an almighty closing scene.

Anyway, that's according to Mark Kermode. I hope it's true. It's a great anecdote. I've had people buy me at least four pints because of it.

That's not necessarily true, originally he was approached by a producer who wanted to fund the film with a $30 million budget on condition that he changed the ending to a happier one. Darabont had spent so long trying to get the funding that he refused to relent and ended up turning to Harvey Weinsten who agreed to produce the film with an $18 million dollar budget. Darabont had always envisioned the film as being shown in Black & White and as such the creature FX and CG Were created with that in mind, which is why some of the FX work looks a little shoddy

That's not necessarily true, originally he was approached by a producer who wanted to fund the film with a $30 million budget on condition that he changed the ending to a happier one. Darabont had spent so long trying to get the funding that he refused to relent and ended up turning to Harvey Weinsten who agreed to produce the film with an $18 million dollar budget. Darabont had always envisioned the film as being shown in Black & White and as such the creature FX and CG Were created with that in mind, which is why some of the FX work looks a little shoddy

Ah for fcuks sake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Yeah I have the Blu ray which has the black and white version, which is indeed much better than the colour one.
    While the ending is specific to the film and doesn't match the book, it is a King style twist as anyone who has read some of his books will know. It matches the horror of in particular his book written as Richard Bachman The Long walk; when
    the first child is shot dead by a soldier when he can't walk any further and you realise that 99 children will have to die for a winner to be found.

• Advertisement

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Yeah I have the Blu ray which has the black and white version, which is indeed much better than the colour one.
    While the ending is specific to the film and doesn't match the book, it is a King style twist as anyone who has read some of his books will know. It matches the horror of in particular his book written as Richard Bachman The Long walk; when
    the first child is shot dead by a soldier when he can't walk any further and you realise that 99 children will have to die for a winner to be found.

Thanks guys. I'd never even heard of the b&w version, but I've just picked up the two disc version in CEX. Really looking forward to this.

It's currently Studio Ghilbi season on Film 4, running until next weekend. The majority of them are in HD. There's a good mix of stuff there, going right back to Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky (1986).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Iron Giant is on Film 4 just after 5 today. Nice Easter Sunday family viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Iron Giant is on Film 4 just after 5 today. Nice Easter Sunday family viewing.

Great movie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

SU-PER-MAAAN!

What a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

This had been on my list to see for a good while, great film.

I am groot
    wait, no, that's not right...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) is on Film 4 @9pm. Very good movie.

Dr. Strangelove just started on GOLD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One for ANY film fan - MILIUS (yes its capitals cos that's the way John MILIUS is!) on Film4 tonight at 11.05/00.05 (+1)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2370224/

One for ANY film fan - MILIUS (yes its capitals cos that's the way John MILIUS is!) on Film4 tonight at 11.05/00.05 (+1)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2370224/

Cheers for that!

Heaven's Gate is showing on TG4 tonight at 9:35. Which version of the movie...I have no idea. But considering that the movie ends almost 4 hours later, I can only hope that it's the director's cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Heaven's Gate is showing on TG4 tonight at 9:35. Which version of the movie...I have no idea. But considering that the movie ends almost 4 hours later, I can only hope that it's the director's cut.

Reading up on it, some terrible reviews voted worst movie by empire

Elmo wrote: »
    That's based on the old cut from 1980. The director's cut is supposed to be much, much better.

Elmo wrote: »

I would ignore Empire if I was you, I imagine that had someone involved in the production sent Empire a mug with the title embossed upon it Empire would be proclaiming it a masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hatchet for the Honeymoon 1970 Maria Bava on Film On Freesat 410 at 11 pm. Obviously the picture quality is almost certainly going to be awful but we might be lucky.

• Advertisement

That's based on the old cut from 1980. The director's cut is supposed to be much, much better.

There's some very critical reviews of the re-cut version as well, but I don't mind as long as the author has actually watched the film. A lot of the articles you'll read about Heaven's Gate are just re-hashed 'production hell' stories, with very little critical analysis. I'd love to read that Empire article to see what their approach was, but I have my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's some very critical reviews of the re-cut version as well, but I don't mind as long as the author has actually watched the film. A lot of the articles you'll read about Heaven's Gate are just re-hashed 'production hell' stories, with very little critical analysis. I'd love to read that Empire article to see what their approach was, but I have my suspicions.

Very short piece tbh one of their top 50 came in at number 6

http://www.empireonline.com/features/50-worst-movies-ever/default.asp?film=6

Not to bad on Rotten Tomatoes 59%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/heavens_gate/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Prometheus 2012 RTE at 21:00 Tv premiere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Chinatown, Film4 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Sarah's Key is on film 4 tonight at 1:30. A film about a reporter investigating what had happened to a deported Jew family during the war. It's in both English and French. This is a very good film that a lot of people haven't seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Eat, Pray, Love on RTE1 right now.
    Hope you all Enjoy.

A movie really reaching out to me :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Withnail & I - Ch4 - 12.20 am

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - TV3 - 12.55am

The Thirty Nine Steps - More 4 - Sat 11.30am (1979) with Robert Powell

Star Trek Insurrection - E4 - Sat 1.55pm

No Country For Old Men - RTE2 - Sat 9pm

Inside Man - UTV - Sat 10.15pm

That should keep anyone watching for a while :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seraphim Falls 10pm UTV Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Multiplicity with Michael Keaton is on Film 4/+1 19.45 tonight.

Great idea if you could do so in reality.

Clone yourself, then get your clone to do the mundane daily things while you enjoy every single minute having fun:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Rope is on BBC 2 tomorrow at 1pm, a terrific Alfred Hitchcock film, although the man himself wasn't as pleased with it.

John Dall is brilliant in it, worth it just for his performance imo and the long takes Hitchcock used really makes for a visually interesting watch (even to non cinema buffs like myself)

Advertisement