Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Buchanan Mid-Air

• 23-03-2012 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Eight years in the making: Paul Buchanan from The Blue Nile releases a solo album

_paulbuchanan_midair.jpgPaul Buchanan - it's been a while

Free download and preorder for a boxset with a whole extra disc of sad beauty

Wed, 21/03/2012 - 15:49 by Tim Chipping

Blue Nile fans have learned to be patient. Very patient. In 30 years, the Glasgow band have only managed four albums. And now we’re about to (sort of) get a fifth, as Paul Buchanan has released the details of his upcoming solo album, Mid Air. We’re not ashamed to admit we did a bit of a cry when we heard the free download track. And then almost did a bit of a wee when we saw the limited edition boxset that’s available only as a preorder from Paul’s website.

To recap then, The Blue Nile formed back in 1981 seemingly with the aim of making the saddest, most beautiful pop music it was humanly possible to make, and do it in the most convoluted, difficult and frustrating way possible.
    No one ever seems to know if the group, consisting of Paul Buchanan and his former college mates Robert Bell and Paul Joseph Moore, have split up or are just taking their usual time about things. We still don’t know.
    And Paul is keen to stress that Mid Air shouldn’t be seen as a Blue Nile album, or even a proper album at all, as he humbly describes it as “a record-ette. It's quite small in stature and the songs are very brief, but don't get me wrong - it kept me awake at night."
    To make up for the lack of length and height, not only does the album contain 14 songs but if you preorder the deluxe boxset version there’s a whole second disc with 10 more tracks – unavailable anywhere else. And you get a 7” sized book.
    We’re weeing AND crying now.

Read the whole story on Holy Moly! http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/eight-years-making-paul-buchanan-blue-nile-releases-solo-album62247#ixzz1pxR9jo7t
    The best celebrity gossip site in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

really like the blue nile, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Beautiful track cheers for the heads up

over 30 quid for the boxset.......hmmm,im broke.....but very tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭mosstin

Wattle wrote: »
    Eight years in the making: Paul Buchanan from The Blue Nile releases a solo album

_paulbuchanan_midair.jpgPaul Buchanan - it's been a while

Free download and preorder for a boxset with a whole extra disc of sad beauty

Wed, 21/03/2012 - 15:49 by Tim Chipping

Blue Nile fans have learned to be patient. Very patient. In 30 years, the Glasgow band have only managed four albums. And now we’re about to (sort of) get a fifth, as Paul Buchanan has released the details of his upcoming solo album, Mid Air. We’re not ashamed to admit we did a bit of a cry when we heard the free download track. And then almost did a bit of a wee when we saw the limited edition boxset that’s available only as a preorder from Paul’s website.

To recap then, The Blue Nile formed back in 1981 seemingly with the aim of making the saddest, most beautiful pop music it was humanly possible to make, and do it in the most convoluted, difficult and frustrating way possible.
    No one ever seems to know if the group, consisting of Paul Buchanan and his former college mates Robert Bell and Paul Joseph Moore, have split up or are just taking their usual time about things. We still don’t know.
    And Paul is keen to stress that Mid Air shouldn’t be seen as a Blue Nile album, or even a proper album at all, as he humbly describes it as “a record-ette. It's quite small in stature and the songs are very brief, but don't get me wrong - it kept me awake at night."
    To make up for the lack of length and height, not only does the album contain 14 songs but if you preorder the deluxe boxset version there’s a whole second disc with 10 more tracks – unavailable anywhere else. And you get a 7” sized book.
    We’re weeing AND crying now.

Read the whole story on Holy Moly! http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/eight-years-making-paul-buchanan-blue-nile-releases-solo-album62247#ixzz1pxR9jo7t
    The best celebrity gossip site in the world.

That excited eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

A guy called Tim Chipping wrote that not me. Still I am fairly excited. Wonder is he doing any gigs?.

Wattle wrote: »
    A guy called Tim Chipping wrote that not me. Still I am fairly excited. Wonder is he doing any gigs?.

He'll probably be supporting Kate Bush.

• Advertisement

Unlike Kate he does actually play live from time to time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watching him as we speak performing mid air with jools holland, really like it :) well writen song

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CAN NOT wait for this. May 21st release date.

This is from his website www.paulbuchanan.com

Mid Air

icon_minus.png icon_plus.png

“I think if I’d tried to make a record that sounds like the band I’d be quite nervous, but this is more of a record-ette. It’s quite small in stature and the songs are very brief, but don’t get me wrong – it kept me awake at night.”
    Some 23 years after The Blue Nile hatched the seductive blend of late night romance and technology rendered humane that was their masterpiece ‘Hats’, the group’s frontman and chief songwriter Paul Buchanan is releasing his debut solo album.

Titled ‘Mid Air’, it’s an extraordinarily intimate record, its spare piano and vocal-based arrangements unfurling at a meditative pace. Thirteen of its fourteen tracks are less than three minutes long, but rest assured all life is here. Buchanan’s beautifully bruised voice remains a faithful conduit of all things emotive, and Mid Air was written from a place of humility and wee-small-hours contemplation.

“You can struggle with your sense of entitlement”, explains the singer. “You think, I’m not Coldplay – is this valid? There’s a modesty that comes with that, but the upside is that many of the external pressures disappear and you start to feel dangerous as a songwriter again. You realise you’re still in love with music and you remember why you’re doing it.”

Mid Air was recorded at home in Glasgow, at a friend’s house on the East Coast of Scotland, and at Gorbals Sound, a state of the art studio that’s bringing new life to a part of Glasgow traditionally thought less than salubrious. The Blue Nile’s Robert Bell dropped by to offer a few thoughts as the work neared completion (“I wouldn’t dream of putting something out without playing it to him”), but Buchanan is the only musician on the record.

The singer says the albums’s working title was Minor Poets Of The 17th Century, this the name of a book he stumbled across at his local Oxfam in Glasgow. “That’s exactly how I feel about myself”, he smiles, “but in the end it seemed a bit unwieldy.”

Each of the album’s songs is gently infused with synthesised, mesmerisingly subtle orchestrations, these lending the music a quietly majestic quality. Stunning miniatures such as ‘Two Children’, ‘Tuesday’ and ‘Wedding Party’ seem to deal with the highs and lows of romantic love, but the record is also a touching act of remembrance in places, Buchanan drawing upon those happy / sad epiphanies that underpin loss.

“When I was making the record, a close friend of mine died”, he says. “Peter was very moral, but not for any religious reason – he just loved people. He was also an excellent and hilarious guy, and he would have taunted me relentlessly if I’d made a requiem for him. The record’s very hushed, but it’s not mournful – it’s quite celebratory. What I observed in Peter over the course of our friendship was bravery. I miss him.”

Like different movements of the same symphony, the songs on Mid Air bed-down together beautifully. Once again, Buchanan has a wealth of carefully chosen imagery to hand: horses in the snow; a suitcase filled with starlight; an astronaut in God’s blue sky; a carousel on empty ground – these and countless other evocations lend ‘Mid Air’ extra resonance.

“I suppose my lyrics have elements of reminiscing and elements of daydreams”, says the singer, “but your mind doesn’t necessarily file things in alphabetical order. Sometimes you don’t even admit the experiences you’ve had or the value that you’ve given them, but they’re there. You overhear something or see a couple having a disagreement in the street, smoosh everything together, and hopefully there’s some alchemy involved. “

The key thing for me is to try and capture those little moments of humanity, those things that say ‘That’s us right there.’ If someone’s car alarm goes off and they can’t find their keys, it looks pretty much the same in Glasgow or Prague. And if you hear an ambulance you go to the window and hope that it’s not coming for somebody you know.”

At 56, Buchanan is, of course, acutely aware of the passing of time. ‘Life goes by / and you learn / how to watch / your bridges burn’, he sings on the album’s care-worn closer After Dark, but ‘Mid Air’ is wonderfully alive to beauty, dignity, hope, and the small kindnesses that sustain us.

“I’m done with that testosterone thing”, notes the singer, “that thing that says somebody has to be king of the heap. Nor do I have any interest in standing behind a velvet rope talking to someone, because it will all fade away.”

This shouldn’t, however, be mistaken for a dying of the light, or a downscaling of Buchanan’s creative ambitions. “No, you have to fight until you die”, he says. “I remember my father once sent me a letter reminding me that Puccini wrote Nessun Dorma when he was 65.”

Buchanan also concedes that, in some ways, he is “continually re-writing the same song”, chipping away at the themes that have absorbed him from day one. ‘Far above the chimney tops / Take me where the bus don’t stop” he sings here on ‘My True Country’. Naturally, such starry-eyed sentiments will chime with fans of the Blue Nile’s charmed 1983 debut, ‘A Walk Across The Rooftops’.

At root, these beautifully smudged miniatures represent a still more potent distillation of all that has made Buchanan’s past work so special. ‘Mid Air’ – his little “record-ette” as he calls it – is wonderfully big of heart.

icon_plus.png

“I think if I’d tried to make a record that sounds like the band I’d be quite nervous, but this is more of a record-ette. It’s quite small in stature and the songs are very brief, but don’t get me wrong – it kept me awake at night.”
    Some 23 years after The Blue Nile hatched the seductive blend of late night romance and technology rendered humane that was their masterpiece ‘Hats’, the group’s frontman and chief songwriter Paul Buchanan is releasing his debut solo album.

Titled ‘Mid Air’, it’s an extraordinarily intimate record, its spare piano and vocal-based arrangements unfurling at a meditative pace. Thirteen of its fourteen tracks are less than three minutes long, but rest assured all life is here. Buchanan’s beautifully bruised voice remains a faithful conduit of all things emotive, and Mid Air was written from a place of humility and wee-small-hours contemplation.

“You can struggle with your sense of entitlement”, explains the singer. “You think, I’m not Coldplay – is this valid? There’s a modesty that comes with that, but the upside is that many of the external pressures disappear and you start to feel dangerous as a songwriter again. You realise you’re still in love with music and you remember why you’re doing it.”

Mid Air was recorded at home in Glasgow, at a friend’s house on the East Coast of Scotland, and at Gorbals Sound, a state of the art studio that’s bringing new life to a part of Glasgow traditionally thought less than salubrious. The Blue Nile’s Robert Bell dropped by to offer a few thoughts as the work neared completion (“I wouldn’t dream of putting something out without playing it to him”), but Buchanan is the only musician on the record.

The singer says the albums’s working title was Minor Poets Of The 17th Century, this the name of a book he stumbled across at his local Oxfam in Glasgow. “That’s exactly how I feel about myself”, he smiles, “but in the end it seemed a bit unwieldy.”

Each of the album’s songs is gently infused with synthesised, mesmerisingly subtle orchestrations, these lending the music a quietly majestic quality. Stunning miniatures such as ‘Two Children’, ‘Tuesday’ and ‘Wedding Party’ seem to deal with the highs and lows of romantic love, but the record is also a touching act of remembrance in places, Buchanan drawing upon those happy / sad epiphanies that underpin loss.

“When I was making the record, a close friend of mine died”, he says. “Peter was very moral, but not for any religious reason – he just loved people. He was also an excellent and hilarious guy, and he would have taunted me relentlessly if I’d made a requiem for him. The record’s very hushed, but it’s not mournful – it’s quite celebratory. What I observed in Peter over the course of our friendship was bravery. I miss him.”

Like different movements of the same symphony, the songs on Mid Air bed-down together beautifully. Once again, Buchanan has a wealth of carefully chosen imagery to hand: horses in the snow; a suitcase filled with starlight; an astronaut in God’s blue sky; a carousel on empty ground – these and countless other evocations lend ‘Mid Air’ extra resonance.

“I suppose my lyrics have elements of reminiscing and elements of daydreams”, says the singer, “but your mind doesn’t necessarily file things in alphabetical order. Sometimes you don’t even admit the experiences you’ve had or the value that you’ve given them, but they’re there. You overhear something or see a couple having a disagreement in the street, smoosh everything together, and hopefully there’s some alchemy involved. “

The key thing for me is to try and capture those little moments of humanity, those things that say ‘That’s us right there.’ If someone’s car alarm goes off and they can’t find their keys, it looks pretty much the same in Glasgow or Prague. And if you hear an ambulance you go to the window and hope that it’s not coming for somebody you know.”

At 56, Buchanan is, of course, acutely aware of the passing of time. ‘Life goes by / and you learn / how to watch / your bridges burn’, he sings on the album’s care-worn closer After Dark, but ‘Mid Air’ is wonderfully alive to beauty, dignity, hope, and the small kindnesses that sustain us.

“I’m done with that testosterone thing”, notes the singer, “that thing that says somebody has to be king of the heap. Nor do I have any interest in standing behind a velvet rope talking to someone, because it will all fade away.”

This shouldn’t, however, be mistaken for a dying of the light, or a downscaling of Buchanan’s creative ambitions. “No, you have to fight until you die”, he says. “I remember my father once sent me a letter reminding me that Puccini wrote Nessun Dorma when he was 65.”

Buchanan also concedes that, in some ways, he is “continually re-writing the same song”, chipping away at the themes that have absorbed him from day one. ‘Far above the chimney tops / Take me where the bus don’t stop” he sings here on ‘My True Country’. Naturally, such starry-eyed sentiments will chime with fans of the Blue Nile’s charmed 1983 debut, ‘A Walk Across The Rooftops’.

At root, these beautifully smudged miniatures represent a still more potent distillation of all that has made Buchanan’s past work so special. ‘Mid Air’ – his little “record-ette” as he calls it – is wonderfully big of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Beautiful track cheers for the heads up

over 30 quid for the boxset.......hmmm,im broke.....but very tempted

Stg 32.99 for the boxset limited to 2000. That includes "normal" delivery.

Tempted +1

Sounds like the album will be an intimate late night affair. I love Paul's voice he's a real crooner. He hasn't completely closed the door on another Blue Nile record either which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Paul is on Later with Jools Holland tonight at 11.50 on BBC2. Sounds like its gonna be a great album.Hats my favourite all time album

Just finishing up on my first listen,wow......its a stunning album,possibly his best imo(yeah ok its my first listen but im dead serious!)

Id heard a few tracks on Paul Mcloones show(had to turn it off some nights to save it for release day:o)and despite sky high expectations i love it,this is a classic late night winter record(well,like all The Blue Nile stuff i suppose),its absolutely beautiful folks,i thought i was gonna start crying at one stage,had to hold it back(and i never cry at music)

Ok ill stop hyping it now.....just trust me,its wonderful

Kinda regretting not buying the deluxe now......did anyone get it? if the second disc is of a similar quality ill have to get it as well.......did i mention i love it?:confused:

Just finishing up on my first listen,wow......its a stunning album,possibly his best imo(yeah ok its my first listen but im dead serious!)

Id heard a few tracks on Paul Mcloones show(had to turn it off some nights to save it for release day:o)and despite sky high expectations i love it,this is a classic late night winter record(well,like all The Blue Nile stuff i suppose),its absolutely beautiful folks,i thought i was gonna start crying at one stage,had to hold it back(and i never cry at music)

Ok ill stop hyping it now.....just trust me,its wonderful

It's World Class.
    After Dark my favourite after one listen.thought the box set would be available in HMV, but only on Paul's website. Kicking myself now

It shows the quality all the same that great Nile songs like St. Katherine's Day, Due North and Things we should Say were never on Nile albums.

:eek:

There are more Blue Nile songs out there than whats on the albums??? i didnt know that,ive been a big fan for about 7 years now and i just presumed the four albums were it...cool!

My own favourite track is "Tinseltown In The Rain",favourite album is "Hats",the first two albums in particular are just absolutely gorgeous,buddy of mine loves them too and reckons the next two are the best! some of their music can take ages to get into i think,its so subtle it can be easily missed,but when you get it.....theres nothing like it

Off the new album "Wedding Party" and "After Dark" are my favourites but there isnt a bad track on it,if you like one you'll like them all i think

Interview on "The Works",not sure how much longer it will be available,interview starts about 14 minutes in

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1148959

There are more Blue Nile songs out there than whats on the albums??? i didnt know that,ive been a big fan for about 7 years now and i just presumed the four albums were it...cool!

My own favourite track is "Tinseltown In The Rain",favourite album is "Hats",the first two albums in particular are just absolutely gorgeous,buddy of mine loves them too and reckons the next two are the best! some of their music can take ages to get into i think,its so subtle it can be easily missed,but when you get it.....theres nothing like it

Off the new album "Wedding Party" and "After Dark" are my favourites but there isnt a bad track on it,if you like one you'll like them all i think

It would be Hats, High, Walk Across The Rooftops and Peace At Last in
    that order for me buddy.Saturday Night was our wedding song, well
    I got no say in nothing else!You should check out Paul's hidden classics
    on youtube, Jaysus even my user name on this is a Nile song,and It's
    a work of art.

Due North wrote: »
    It would be Hats, High, Walk Across The Rooftops and Peace At Last in
    that order for me buddy.Saturday Night was our wedding song, well
    I got no say in nothing else!
    You should check out Paul's hidden classics
    on youtube, Jaysus even my user name on this is a Nile song,and It's
    a work of art.

:D

Yeah ive been checking them out over the last hour or so,great stuff

Id go with

Hats
    A Walk Across The Rooftops
    High
    Peace At Last

Id put "Mid Air" above them all the way im feeling at the moment

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Advertisement

Check out 'Wish Me Well' and 'Regret'. Two great Nile songs that were B-sides. According to his Facebook page there's a tour in the offing too. Will be interesting to see if he has a full band and how he would blend the new stuff with old classics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Album got emailed a day early, perfect sunday listening...

This is a beautiful record. Sublime. I've just booked a ticket for Liss Ard festival in August which he plays on the Sunday night. Should be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭bullpost

That should be a good show.
    Bob Mould also playing , doing the Copper Blue album. Toots & the Maytals and Lisa Hannigan as well.
    Was there last year - lovely vibe and great venue.

mosstin wrote: »
    This is a beautiful record. Sublime. I've just booked a ticket for Liss Ard festival in August which he plays on the Sunday night. Should be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Wow, wow, wow! What a sublime record! This is as delicate as a haiku. It is so controlled yet gorgeously emotional. His phrasing is sinatra-esque. Record of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluenilefan

Didn't get the deluxe version myself as I thought price was very steep.....
    Does anyone else think Cars in the Garden is a weak track? And does he actually say towards the end... The guards are in the garden now? I can no longer take the song seriously with the image of the boys in blue in the hedges......
    Am a huge fan of TBN; fav album is Rooftops followed by Hats....
    Fav song Let's Go Out Tonight.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't think he means "gardai" when he says guards. That's just an Irish thing........

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluenilefan

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't think he means "gardai" when he says guards. That's just an Irish thing........
    I know he didn't mean our guards.... I wasn't sure if he said cards or guards and as I wasn't prepared to shell out over 30€ for the deluxe version, I haven't been able to check the lyrics... The song is now ruined for me cos I only think of an Garda Síochána.....

Advertisement