Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Friends

• 08-09-2011 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

How do you make more Male friends? Not for romance purposes just because I get along better with men! I find them easier to be around mostly and much more fun.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

gmac102 wrote: »
    How do you make more Male friends? Not for romance purposes just because I get along better with men! I find them easier to be around mostly and much more fun.

Join a club, whether it be a sports club, society etc.. You find like minded individuals who you have something in common with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Have in interest in typical male things:

Soccer, motor racing, UFC, Gadgets....

Just realised I am not into any of those things... am I a woman?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Yeh there are plenty of hobbies you could do, doesn't have to be a manly man hobby either, maybe a walking group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

LMAO I said I wanted to make male friends not take up a hobby! Maybe I should watch footie in the pub and shout at the telly!!!

Altho I am taking up target shooting as a hobby from Sundayish!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I love target shooting.

You'll make man friends doing that... maybe rotund ones in their 40's but... yea.

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    I love target shooting.

You'll make man friends doing that... maybe rotund ones in their 40's but... yea.

I love it to! Its pretty cool :)

Hey if they're cool its ok with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

How do you make more Male friends? Not for romance purposes just because I get along better with men! I find them easier to be around mostly and much more fun
    If you're female, be aware that you're going to get treated differently by most of them at the start - e.g. lots of them will think they need to soften their language or not talk about sex with you, you'll probably get 'preferential' treatment too - such as they'll give up their chair for you for no reason etc. However, how do you make friends with them?? They're everywhere - just talk to them. Have a bit of banter and joke around. That usually works :confused:

*weird body language tip: men tend to stand beside each other more than women (i.e. less face to face) and don't make steady eye contact as much as women.

* yes these are generalisations but that's what body language is based on. Weirdest advice I've ever given :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Just be cool but humble. Dont be bitchy, argumentitive or dominating, guys hate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

If you're female, be aware that you're going to get treated differently by most of them at the start - e.g. lots of them will think they need to soften their language or not talk about sex with you, you'll probably get 'preferential' treatment too - such as they'll give up their chair for you for no reason etc.

I have never seen this. What century are you living in?

unfortunately lots of guys I know are like this. Drives me mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

If you're female don't flirt with them, and if not interested in a relationship make that clear from the start. IF you do flirt or don't make it clear it can end in utter disaster.

Alopex wrote: »
    If you're female don't flirt with them, and if not interested in a relationship make that clear from the start. IF you do flirt or don't make it clear it can end in utter disaster.

eh i flirt with everyone, i dont even know im doing it. it doesnt matter what age r gender either :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Come to a boards beers. That'll get ya started. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your seen as a woman. If you're seen as a tomboy, or "one of the lads", you'll get treated "normally". You may need to drink more?

Your seen as a woman. If you're seen as a tomboy, or "one of the lads", you'll get treated "normally". You may need to drink more?
    Assumption overload! :pac: :pac:

I am seen as a woman. Therefore, a lot of men expect me to be gentler, more delicate, less vulgar. Hence, the 'preferential' treatment at first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He didn't say you weren't :confused:

He was comparing the difference between a "Lady" and a "Laddette."

He didn't say I wasn't what? :confused:

Maybe I read that wrong, but I saw that as assuming that I'm not seen as a tomboy/one of the lads and that I don't drink much.

There are other roles between lady and laddette I hope

That_Guy wrote: »
    Come to a boards beers. That'll get ya started. :)

on my own, yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

be aware that you're going to get treated differently by most of them at the start
    I have never seen this. What century are you living in?
    I saw that as assuming that I'm not seen as a tomboy/one of the lads and that I don't drink much.
    I am seen as a woman. Therefore, a lot of men expect me to be gentler, more delicate, less vulgar.
    Incorrect. You're seen as a lady, and thus treated like a delicate flower. It's usually how you carry yourself that dictates this. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing; this is how most men have been programmed to treat a lady.

Georgina/George from the Famous Five would be classed as a tomboy and would be treated as a ladette from the get go.

I see nothing wrong with lads seeing a woman as a lady, as they'll help her out. A "ladette" won't receive (nor often take) as much help.

With respect, Mr Syco, it's a little absurd for you to assume I carry myself like a lady seeing as you've never met me. You are talking through your hat. You are suggesting that I act like a delicate little flower and therefore I deserve that treatment. I only wish you knew how wrong you were.

Were the famous five not children? And isn't 'ladette' a fairly derogatory term? Maybe you attach a different meaning to it. In my part of the country, it's the female equivalent of 'scumbag' - i.e. a woman with no class

Your dichotomy of 'delicate little lady flower' and 'ladette' is a false one. Do you not see that the vast majority of women don't fit into either of these categories?

Anyway, I think we are derailing the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you buy a nice classic car I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you buy a nice classic car I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Then maybe we can race them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If Your a lad, Join a club soccer, gaa, darts, poker could be anything really

If Your a girl well coming from where I live the only way girls seem to become friends with lads is on a night out or through mutal friends which isnt really helpful

• gmac102 wrote: »

I give much the same advice for this question as I do for people looking for a partner on the Relationship Advice forum here. The best way to meet someone is to stop trying.

Instead invest yourself in the things you enjoy, most especially the social aspects of those things. There are few hobbies that do not have some social aspect. If music is your hobby find jamming sessions, if learning a language is your hobby find conversation groups. Few hobbies can not be explored socially.

Things like friends, partners, drinking buddies and so on then sort of work themselves out without you even trying. You will be just doing your thing and you will hear, or maybe you will say yourself "who is up for drinks when we are done here?" and it will go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Alopex wrote: »

+ about a billion

There's nothing more annoying that a girl who's all flirty then you find out she's not interested for whatever reason. To be honest I'm sceptical when people say they are flirts and don't realise it etc. If you don't want people to get the wrong idea, don't flirt with them. It's pretty easy not to flirt with someone. It's not like it's something impossible like sneezing with your eyes open.

G-Money wrote: »
    + about a billion

There's nothing more annoying that a girl who's all flirty then you find out she's not interested for whatever reason. To be honest I'm sceptical when people say they are flirts and don't realise it etc. If you don't want people to get the wrong idea, don't flirt with them. It's pretty easy not to flirt with someone. It's not like it's something impossible like sneezing with your eyes open.

Im taken as I am or not at all, as I said previous Im unaware Im doing it, I dont limit it to men either.

And in your experience its easy not to flirt with someone because Im sure your aware your doing it.

gmac102 wrote: »
    Im taken as I am or not at all, as I said previous Im unaware Im doing it, I dont limit it to men either.

And in your experience its easy not to flirt with someone because Im sure your aware your doing it.

Well fair enough, but you must have some awareness of it in order to say you are doing it and not knowing.

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread. I guess just try out some clubs, and stuff that men are interested in. I think there's been some good advice in previous replies.

G-Money wrote: »
    Well fair enough, but you must have some awareness of it in order to say you are doing it and not knowing.

People say it to me :)

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread. I guess just try out some clubs, and stuff that men are interested in. I think there's been some good advice in previous replies.

And your right it isnt the point of the thread, thanks for your input. There is some great advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You have to change your sense of humor around ladies otherwise you could be done for some sort of harassment.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You have to change your sense of humor around ladies otherwise you could be done for some sort of harassment.

True, I definitely tone down my language and what I say when women are around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement