Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me help a friend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I would say C. S. Lewis's 'Mere Christianity' is probably one of the best arguments for atheism.
    it'd be hard to suggest a book by a guy that became a Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    do I have to because she's female?

Why do you care what she believes in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why do you care why he cares what she believes in? Do you fancy Tea_Bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Janey likes Milhouse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

She does not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

TR - I'm not sure what the point of this line of questioning is.

Two friends had a conversation about their differing beliefs and agreed to read some books recommended by the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

philologos wrote: »
    Except I have on numerous occasions. Most of the time people just don't like my opinion, that the Bible can and does make good sense on a number of issues.

A lot of people get annoyed that I don't fit their preconceived box and that I spend time and effort trying to see what the Bible is saying.

King Mob: Firstly, it's not dishonest to see that the Hebrew term eretz can also be rendered as land.

Secondly, I read Genesis 1 and 2 that way because I can see textually the style in which it is written. I can see how the author intentionally wrote the text in that way. It isn't simply a list of details, it is a poetic account.

I read other passages which are presented as narrative and history in that way, because well, the Bible presents them in that way. I look at commandments presented by God in that way, because the Bible presents them that way.

robindch: I don't believe Genesis 1 and 2 is false. Just because something is written in a poetic style doesn't mean that it cannot communicate truth. For example, the Psalms are written in a poetic style, yet I still believe that David and the other Psalmists are communicating a clear truth about God. The same is true for Ecclesiastes and Solomon.

Genesis 1 and 2 make me clearly see that the Lord God is responsible for everything, and that He is all powerful. The sun and the moon were created by Him, rather than being deities in and of themselves as many would have believed at that time. The fundamental beginnings ultimately come back to Him in a Judeo-Christian setting. That's a claim that I regard as true. I just don't happen to regard the world as young, or that it was literally created in 7 days.

If you do a search for the Hebrew term yom in the Old Testament, you'll find that it is used for longer periods of time in other Scriptures.

So in a nutshell. Some of it is literal, some of it is not, and you decide this based on your previous opinions.

I actually feel sorry for people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

King Mob: Firstly, it's not dishonest to see that the Hebrew term eretz can also be rendered as land.
    I didn't say that was dishonest, I said it was a lame fobbing off. And I'll add that it ignores the context of the rest of the passage that very clearly refers to the entire Earth.
    What I called dishonest was the fact that you are ignoring the questions I'm asking, which you have done again.
    Secondly, I read Genesis 1 and 2 that way because I can see textually the style in which it is written. I can see how the author intentionally wrote the text in that way. It isn't simply a list of details, it is a poetic account.
    So then, which style was the claim that Noah's flood covered mountain tops written in?
    Do you believe the flood waters actually covered mountain tops, yes or no?
    Do you realise that this is impossible for normal floods, yes or no?
    I read other passages which are presented as narrative and history in that way, because well, the Bible presents them in that way. I look at commandments presented by God in that way, because the Bible presents them that way.
    No, it's all presented in the one way, you are just pretending, or perhaps convinced yourself otherwise because you realise how stupid and wrong the claims in genesis are. You know that they have no baring in reality and are impossible, so you need some excuse to ignore that fact.
    And even then you realise how that excuse falls apart because you are ignoring my other questions about why birds are claimed to come before land animals.
    Did birds actually come before land animals? Yes or no?
    Is there a "poetic meaning" to claim that they did? Yes or no?
    If so, what is it? If not, why does the bible claim so?

You really should be asking yourself why you have to keep dodging these very simple straightforward questions.

Most witty.
    Dades wrote:
    TR - I'm not sure what the point of this line of questioning is.

Two friends had a conversation about their differing beliefs and agreed to read some books recommended by the other.
    Ok. Fair enough. I guess as I get older I care less for trying to convince anyone to have similar views to me and I wonder why I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Most witty.

Ok. Fair enough. I guess as I get older I care less for trying to convince anyone to have similar views to me and I wonder why I ever did.

I think that's because when we're younger we're convinced we can change the world! Make it a better place for all, banish irrationality and fallacious reasoning from the surface the Earth. With time we realise that people can't be reasoned out of something they didn't really reason themselves into. Finally, we realise that life is too short to be wasted on such trivialities, apathy sets in and we set about making sure our life is an enjoyable one. Sometimes I still care but not near as much as I once did.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

King Mob wrote: »
    But those posts do not answer the question.
    And the bible does not say a "regional flood".

So why does the bible say 1) the flood covered the entire world and 2) claimed to cover mountain tops.
    Do you believe that Noah's flood covered mountain tops which is impossible for any sort of flood?

And why does the bible claim that birds existed before land animals? Is this a metaphor? If so what for and why does it not look like any sort of metaphor?

Philologos, can you answer these flood queries please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Most witty.

Because you are nearer to dying and therefore have less time to reap the rewards of having more sensible people in the world. Of course young people care more about changing the world - they have to live in it longer after all

Because you are nearer to dying and therefore have less time to reap the rewards of having more sensible people in the world. Of course young people care more about changing the world - they have to live in it longer after all

But if you want to change the world, why go for a friend? Why not aim for things at a higher level? Fly a Richard Dawkins poster over that 12 million euro church in firhouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

But if you want to change the world, why go for a friend? Why not aim for things at a higher level? Fly a Richard Dawkins poster over that 12 million euro church in firhouse!
    Gotta be trolling...

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Gotta be trolling...
    Just a joke. Probably not a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Except I have on numerous occasions. Most of the time people just don't like my opinion, that the Bible can and does make good sense on a number of issues.

It is nothing to do with "liking" or "disliking" your opinions. You might prefer to paint it that way because it just makes others look ill informed or bigoted. The truth however is much worse for you. It is that we have evaluated your opinions and found them to be entirely unsubstantiated, false and quite often egregiously dishonest. What little substantiation you ever did attempt was quite thoroughly debunked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

10 pages and not one mention of a Christopher Hitchens book. For shame!

Get her to read God is Not Great.

The Letters to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris recommendation should be followed as well.

Those two books will be better her for than Cosmos.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    any suggestions? maybe a more entry level Dawkins that I don't know about?

It is a very difficult question to answer. The Books that will free people from religion are as unpredictable and varied as the personalities involved.

One extreme example of this is the Author Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She describes her desires of escaping Islam as having been ignited while reading Nancy Drew of all things. Seems random but they are books that dared her to dream of freedom, adventure and female equality.

Meanwhile in his recent talks Dan Barker talks of how his very Evangelical and Fundamentalist faith cracked when he started making small concessions to the faith of others, and the whole tower just crumbled from there.

Dan Barkers book itself did it for some people, including Leo Igwe who I had the pleasure of meeting recently. Leo gave the book to his father who was himself also very religious, and said father has refused to give it back since as he loves it so much for putting him on the path of rationality and away from religion.

Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens and Dennett have all talked in the past of how their In Boxes were full of people who credited them with their loss of faith. I think of the four of them however Harris is probably the "easiest on the ear" of a Christian as he can talk the talk better than many others about the spiritual side of atheism which will ring true with many Christians.

For my own experience I can second the call by many on here that actually getting Christians to sit down and really read the Bible is one of the best ways to break their faith. I have not "deconverted" many in my life but I can tell you most, if not all, of them was done not with reason, science or arguments, but by really working through the Bible with them which left them with a feeling of "I was meant to believe THAT???" from which they never recovered. I have been consistently shocked over the years in fact at how many Christians not only have not read the Bible, they have never even SEEN a Bible and some are even shocked to see how big it is.

Having never had faith myself I was never converted out of it, I was always this way and I was 12 before it really hit me that other people really did believe the stuff that I thought was actually just "Story Time" in school.

So in summary I do not think you will guess what will "do it" for your friend. Read the literature yourself... you know your friend better than us.... and pick for yourself which book you feel will be more palatable to them.

In the case of the OP's friend, I wouldn't be interested in relieving her of her faith - more in opening her mind and getting her away from that deceitful nonsense that is creationism.

Hence a more amiable *popular science* approach that doesn't attempt to get her to throw Baby Jesus out with the bathwater.

^ Indeed. The OP might find the phrase "Do not teach them what to think, but how to think" helpful. Often books about atheism and anti-theism is not the way to go with someone religious. But maybe books like Ben Goldacres "Bad Science" for example *which are interesting, informative, and can actually teach someone a lot about "how to think" and how not to fall for fallacies of correlation, bias and so on) can sow the seeds for people of faith going back and applying those new skills to their own religion.

But I guess !again! not always because there is a theistic skill it seems to spot the fallacies in the religions, myths, superstitions and woo science of others, but somehow wholly miss them in their own.

• Advertisement

^^ those theists, they are so thick and stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

Nope - many of them are smart enough when it comes to stuff that isn't their own religion. That's what's curious (to me anyway).

*Edit* Hell, I was a theist - I didn't get any smarter when I became an atheist, I just got my thinking straightened out. ...

swampgas wrote: »
    I just got my thinking straightened out. ...

They can't think straight, that must be it as well.

They can't think straight, that must be it as well.

Care to make a proper rebuttal? You seem to be hinting at something but not quite going for it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Care to make a proper rebuttal? You seem to be hinting at something but not quite going for it.

eh ? that was a rebuttal of theism, I'm not into writing big long waffle essays, its all been said before.

Your opinion, not mine thankfully :) It is certainly not a position I have seen much to support. While there are some inverse correlations to be found between religiosity and things like intelligence and education, they are not enough to extrapolate this kind of generalization from.

eh ? that was a rebuttal of theism, I'm not into writing big long waffle essays, its all been said before.
    Well if it's all been said before, and you're not into longer posts, then maybe don't post here.

Continuous one-liners with ambiguous intent is an unacceptable posting style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I've only skimmed the thread, so sorry if it's been mentioned already, but if you aren't completely set against recommending anything by Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth might be worth a look.

I'm not sure if there's much love for it around these parts, but if you want something that spells out in a nice straightforward way how we know what we know about natural selection, it's just the thing.

While I did like Dawkins' TGSOE, he does use the term 'history denuers' in relation to Creationists, which I would imagine would be off putting to one.
    I also find as a rule of thumb a great many theists' minds tend to go into defense mode when the name 'Dawkins' is mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    While I did like Dawkins' TGSOE, he does use the term 'history denuers' in relation to Creationists, which I would imagine would be off putting to one.
    I also find as a rule of thumb a great many theists' minds tend to go into defense mode when the name 'Dawkins' is mentioned.

Tell me about it, I've a friend who passed up the Oxford Book of Modern Scientific Writing simply because Dawkins was an editor. It beggared belief.:eek:
    I don't his arrogant rep is all that accurate either but oh well awesome science book ignored.

Advertisement