Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shellac Nails that won't stay on!!

• 24-04-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I have had shellac nails applied on 3 different occasions by 2 different nail salons and the longest they have lasted is 2 days!!

They then literally start to peel off my fingers which is not ideal!

Has anyone else had this problem?? I went back to the beautician each time and was eventually told that it must have something to do with the oils in my nails.

I really want to get a 3 week manicure so does anyone know if there is any solution or would any other brand actually stay on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

It sounds like its down to your nails - mine always stays on for 2 weeks.

You should maybe try Jessica's Gelish (I think that's the name of it) - the difference is they file the surface of the nail first to make it rough and make the polish adhere better.

I have heard that people find it lasts better than shellac but then shellac doesnt damage nails because you don't need to file the surface to apply shellac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've had the peeling before too. I've found it largely depends on the person doing the application, not even just the salon. I suppose though, the more reputable the salon, the better the training of staff and hopefully the more consistent they'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've had mixed results with the 2 week types of manicure (Gelish, Geleration, Shellac etc). Some last better than others, but they tend to chip, sometimes even after 12 hrs! Having said that, the technician and their skill level makes a massive difference.

The best results are from the full gel nails (like Bio Sculpture) which have always lasted the full 3 weeks for me. The only reason I get them changed is because of the regrowth and the fact that I'm bored of the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If your nails are naturally very oily then gels may not be for you. I did a gel course last year and the instructor advised that sometimes really oily nails just don't allow the gels to adhere properly, no matter how well you prep the natural nail. Very young people can have oily nails which means the gels come off. Having said that though, I do BioSculpture gels and did them for my 15 year old niece and she had no issues with them lifting or peeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gurks187

Thanks everyone, going to give it one more go with the bio or jessica in a really good (and prob expensive place) and if that doesn't work, il just give up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dudara wrote: »
    I've had mixed results with the 2 week types of manicure (Gelish, Geleration, Shellac etc). Some last better than others, but they tend to chip, sometimes even after 12 hrs! Having said that, the technician and their skill level makes a massive difference.

The best results are from the full gel nails (like Bio Sculpture) which have always lasted the full 3 weeks for me. The only reason I get them changed is because of the regrowth and the fact that I'm bored of the colour.
    If your nails are naturally very oily then gels may not be for you. I did a gel course last year and the instructor advised that sometimes really oily nails just don't allow the gels to adhere properly, no matter how well you prep the natural nail. Very young people can have oily nails which means the gels come off. Having said that though, I do BioSculpture gels and did them for my 15 year old niece and she had no issues with them lifting or peeling.

What are BioSculpture nails like? I've never heard of them! Would they be more like shellac or gel nails? Do they add any extra length to your nails or just go by your own natural length?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Do you wash your hands/get your hands wet a lot? I wash my hands 10+ times a day in work and shellac never last more than two days on me for this reason.

What are BioSculpture nails like? I've never heard of them! Would they be more like shellac or gel nails? Do they add any extra length to your nails or just go by your own natural length?

They're a gel nail but they don't contain acrylic so can be soaked off as opposed to filed off. You can have them applied over your natural nail or you can use the BioSculpture Sculpting Gel to add length or repair breaks in the natural nail.

I've been getting gels done for about three years and have tried all different brands (BioSculpture, Shellac, Creative, Jessica Geleration) but I found Bio to be the best as I've never experienced colour fade, lifting/chipping/peeling and I have with the others. I horse ride and swim a lot in my spare time and in work I would type a lot and pick at staples etc but my nails are always perfect. As dudara said, I also only change the colour because the regrowth is too noticeable (usually around 3 weeks).

Nails Inc offer the treatment for about €70 last time I checked or you can find it cheaper through a freelancer. Some places will tell you your nails will be stronger after gel treatments. I don't think this is true. I always had weak, brittle nails and after the gels my nails are still the same. When I have the gels on my nails are tough and strong but when I remove them they are back to their usual weak state.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I always get my nails trimmed back to just flush with the tip of the finger. The Bio Sculpture then goes on like a nail polish, so I end up with short, perfect nails. Over the 3 weeks, they will grow plenty.

Just to add, I think they cost €60 for me before in BT. I also recently a saw a new salon on Parnell St called Nail Chic (I think) where they are listed at €55

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thanks girls. Definitely seem like something I'd like to go for. Quite pricey though!!! I'll do some research :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

I'm sure there are a few different reasons that the shellac hasn't lasted on you - not sure if washing your hands would make too much difference as I wore shellac on hols for the past two years and thought that the in and out of the pool would affect it, but it actually lasted the whole 15 days (and a couple more when I got home!)

I have had a couple of issues in the past with it peeling off, but I think that was because the therapist wasn't careful enough putting it on. If the gel comes in to contact with the skin on wither side of your nail it stops the gel from adhering properly to the edge of the nail and so it starts to life after only a day or so.

Trial and error really - find a good salon I suppose! Also I did the gelerations once (not by choice - I booked shellac and they didn't tell me until I got there for the appointment that it was actually geleration :mad:) Did a good bit of damage to my nails as they file it off rather than soaking it off - she was a little vicious and my fingers were sore for days!!!

Hope you find one that suits!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gurks187

To update... Got Gelish nails applied 2 weeks ago and there is absolutely no sign of them coming off!!

I happened to be in London so got them done over there and I sm delighted with the results! The filing on the nail to allow the police to hold is very minor do not worried about the quality of my nails at all!!

Just hope now I can find somewhere as good in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

on the bio sculpture, I got them done almost two weeks ago in a place I hadn't been before & was & am very happy with them - Pink Candy on James St for €35 ;)

just remembered, one of the salons in Rathmines does them for the same price, but I haven't been there & can't remember the name... google'd find it pretty quick for anyone who's interested

Wow €35 is very cheap for Biosculpture! Is that a special offer or is it always that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

it's the regular price, just googled the one in Rathmines that I couldn't remember the name of
    http://www.rougebeauty.ie/everlastingpolish.php

I've never paid over €35 but in fairness I always got them done by a lovely girl who did them from home but she emigrated :( so Pink Candy was my first time getting them done in a salon (2 weeks on they're still looking good) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP, is it definitely the CND brand of Shellac that was used on your nails?
    There are a lot of knock-off brands around calling their product "Shellac" that are not the same quality- CND were the creators of the gel/polish hybrid formula and the original "Shellac" product.

More info: (SalonGeek is an online beauty/hair pro forum)

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/145185-fake-shellac-experiences-photos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have been getting shellac every couple pf weeks for the past 8 months and a couple of time they did peel/chip after a few days but I found that each time the girl had put on a thick layer of polish, while when it is a thin layer they last for 3 weeks plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Try asu out in swords, they do perfect match which is a gel polish hybrid like shellac and gellish. It lasts the three weeks. Maybe only two if you work with your hands and rough em up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Try asu out in swords, they do perfect match which is a gel polish hybrid like shellac and gellish. It lasts the three weeks. Maybe only two if you work with your hands and rough em up a lot.

No, it's not like Shellac. Shellac is NOT a gel polish.

Gelish is a soft (soakable) gel, same as Perfect Match etc.

:)

Jennypops wrote: »
    No, it's not like Shellac. Shellac is NOT a gel polish.

Gelish is a soft (soakable) gel, same as Perfect Match etc.

yes but if she is having problems with shellac as clearly it isnt a strong product, i've heard nothing but complaints about it, she should try a better product that will last for the same money she will be spending on shellac. Perfect match is removed by the same method as shellac also, there's no soaking per say in dampening dishes, you just wrap the nails the same as they are wrapped for shellac.

• Advertisement

yes but if she is having problems with shellac as clearly it isnt a strong product, i've heard nothing but complaints about it, she should try a better product that will last for the same money she will be spending on shellac. Perfect match is removed by the same method as shellac also, there's no soaking per say in dampening dishes, you just wrap the nails the same as they are wrapped for shellac.

Shellac is an extremely popular choice and constantly wins awards so whilst it may not suit some nails overall this is a market leading product and the very first of its kind. Complaints I hear about it are always down to the application being incorrect or the proper aftercare was not followed. Its down to individual choice, a lot of people prefer not using a gel polish- whether its down to buffing of the natural nail pre or post application or they want something hypo allergenic.
    I am not knocking other products, simply making clear that Shellac is different from gel polishes. No product is indestructible so proper aftercare is essential- and the skill level of the person carrying out the treatment is also essential in ensuring proper procedure is followed. Saying its not strong- well compared to harder gel products and lack of aftercare then yes it wont withstand abuse but thats where the distinction needs to be made- whilst Shellac will stand up to a lot it is a power polish- not a gel so cant be compared to them. It gives clients a choice, it is for natural nail clients. I agree that if Shellac is not working for the OP then she should look at something else but I would definitely want to know is it CND Shellac being used, what application process is used etc...

I use Shellac- I have loads of clients who get the full two weeks if not more out of it. My mother on the other hand abuses her nails something awful therefore she tends to get a week and a bit if shes lucky! Thats down to her scrubbing with bleach with no gloves, picking at her nails and using them to open things etc...she would possibly fair better with a harder product but she doesnt want her natural nails buffed continously.

And the most thing I find from the public who heard bad things about shellac or say it damaged their nails- it wasnt shellac that was used on them or the application/removal was wrong. Dont forget Shellac has become the by-word for all 2/3 week manicures and thats where a lot of misconception comes from.

I think Gelish is a fab product, I am also going to try Perfect Match to see what it is like as well but so far for me anyway- Shellac is the most popular treatment I do by a long shot and I am glad to say that my clients love it, get great wear out of it and have nice healthy nails after removal.

Do you use Perfect Match- how is it applied/removed etc..do you find it good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Shellac has become the by-word for all 2/3 week manicures and thats where a lot of misconception comes from.

Absolutely, it's like vacuums being called Hoovers when they are not.
    Salons are putting knockoffs on people's nails and telling them it's Shellac. Also, some salons won't fork out for the proper CND UV lamp that was designed for Shellac, they'll use the lamp they have which may not cure the nails properly, etc etc.

I totally agree shellac has become the word for 2-3 week manicure and i keep telling people that it's like vaccum and hoover. Iuse perfect match. The nail is buffed extremly lightly and not with a machine (well i mean maybe there are those out there that do use a machine!) but just to take the over all shine off the nail. Then you have base coat for 1 minute, colour for 1 min minute(if youmlike two coats, two can be applied) and then top coat for 2 minutes. It doesnt damage nails but like any product it does have to be removed by a professional. If you go pulling it off then yes you will pull off some layers of nails but the removal is to wrap the nails with 100% acetone and then ten mi s later you are back to the natural nail. You can shine the nail up with your soft 4000grit buffer if you like but i find the buffing was so loght for the application that on removal the nail is looking natural anyway. Now i dont know maybe people over buff and damage the nail and so have to over buff on removal, but it's like you say it comes down to the technician. I'll post a pic now of theproduct on someones nails andlater whnen i remove it I will post a pic then hows about that.

Yep see the buffing of the nail is where it all goes wrong for people!! Heavy handed over buffing that wrecks nails and theres no real way for people to know how much damage is being done until later on when their nails are weakened and splitting.
    Have you tried it without buffing, I think Gelish have something called Ph Bond which is applied before the base coat.

Its great that there is so much choice for consumers and as long as products are being sold properly, fully qualified techs following proper procedures and clients following aftercare then there is something out there for everyone.

Now here is mother in laws nails after 2 week with perfect match. She hasnt great nails at all. Full of ridges and even three of her nails have really bad lifting from the nail bed. Gel nails will not stay put on her nail. Anyway the perfect match seems to work well for her, they stay on for at least 2 weeks as you can see from pics below and at the moment we are trying to grow her nails out for a wedding which is why she is having them redone at 2 weeks not 3 becaus by 3 weeks she starts picking at her nails and breaking them!!!
    I will post a picture later of her natural nails beneath to see the damage not done by buffing.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/205762.jpeg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/205763.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I find its totally down to who does the nails. I've gotten mine done off 2 different girls and one of the girls they were peeling within a week of getting them done on both occasions. Won't be going back to her again.

Now mother in laws nails after perfect mnatch has been removed.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/205802.jpg

and with a new application.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/148741/205803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Gurks187 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have had shellac nails applied on 3 different occasions by 2 different nail salons and the longest they have lasted is 2 days!!

They then literally start to peel off my fingers which is not ideal!

Has anyone else had this problem?? I went back to the beautician each time and was eventually told that it must have something to do with the oils in my nails.

I really want to get a 3 week manicure so does anyone know if there is any solution or would any other brand actually stay on??

I have the exact same problem. Tried two different places. First place, I wasn't too impressed with her while getting them done and I literally arrived home and they were peeling. So i put it down to her ability

My mother got them done by another girl in a different salon, so i gave it ago, explained to her what happened before. got about 4 days out of them but they peeled and chipped.

When I was back to her for waxing, she asked if they lasted the 10-14 days. Said they didn't. She said it was probably down to oil nail beds and strong nails.

Went back to doing a french polish myself with a kit from boots. get the same effect for the same about of time

She said it was probably down to oil nail beds and strong nails.

Precisely the thing that does my head in- this is a load of rubbish to be told by a nail tech...strong nails are a dream to get and work on, yes some people have oily nail beds but this should not affect the wear if the proper application procedures and aftercare are followed. Sure the twice daily application of solar oil is one of the biggest aftercare point that people need to follow.
    Would she say the same if she left half the hair on your legs after waxing- oh it must be your hair type?!
    Grrrr!! I am annoyed on your behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Grrrr!! I am annoyed on your behalf.

I'm just going to embrace my natural nails....

Advertisement