Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green-wave traffic lights?

• 08-12-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

It is not a surprise: According to the Siemens European Green Cities Index, which was compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, Dublin is the worst city in Europe in terms of its transport infrastructure.

Does Dublin have any traffic light green-waves?
    Where? What time? Destination?
    Please do not count roads with any sh*t like round about and pedestrian manual traffic light without synchronisation in middle.

P.S. May be I have to ask: does anybody in Dublin road services know what does mean green-wave traffic lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Green light "waves" are only really possible in a grid city where the blocks are the same size. Where there traffic lights are at different intervals it is very very difficult to coordinate them.

Which is not to say that more could not be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I do not think there are any mainly because of the peculiar sequence of the lights. Here every side gets it's turn, where in most other countries the same street/road gets green/red for both directions on a road.

Because of our sequence - and the times it takes between the greens, a road would need to be pretty long to accomodate a green wave.

I do think our way is probably safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vadzen

ardmacha wrote: »
    Green light "waves" are only really possible in a grid city where the blocks are the same size. Where there traffic lights are at different intervals it is very very difficult to coordinate them.

I had seen green-waves in previous century. Are computers less powerful now?
    Just imagine: Friday evening. You started your way from the Cite Centre by any NX road with keeping speed 40-50 km/h and you out of city.

May be we can pay to government by vote machine (1 machine to 1 person per 2 months for example) to save money for green waves traffic lights project?

bigar wrote: »
    I road would need to be pretty long to accomodate a green wave.

Do Nx roads long enough to implement the system on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We do have a traffic light control system (SCATS, I think it's called) and it does do quite a good job considering the scale of the task it's presented with. Given Dublin's street layout and the number of vehicles flowing through it, it's amazing anything moves at all. In a city like Cork or Galway, some roads never move during rush hour with far less traffic due to the lights not being synchronized properly (you only get a green after the road ahead has filled with traffic).

Most delays I see in Dublin are generally due to muppetry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

vadzen wrote: »
    I had seen green-waves in previous century. Are computers less powerful now?
    Just imagine: Friday evening. You started your way from the Cite Centre by any NX road with keeping speed 40-50 km/h and you out of city.

May be we can pay to government by vote machine (1 machine to 1 person per 2 months for example) to save money for green waves traffic lights project?

Wow - I note your low post count but.....here goes....if You get a "Green Wave" on your route, what does all the other fellow citizens get on the corresponding roads to your route.......oh yes, A "Red Wave". So who should get the green one and who should get the red one, I'll let you decide! :D

I think you're missing the point. The idea behind a green wave is not that traffic gets extra green time at the expense of other green time (although through routes should get extra priority), it's that the green times along a route are synced so that traffic doesn't have to stop at every single junction and traffic doesn't end up missing green because the junction ahead has a red light and backed up traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

I remember writing in to Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown council a few years ago to complain about traffic light sequencing on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and they had the gaul to tell me that a partly configured green-wave was indeed in operation on this stretch.

I'd sooner believe Brian Cowan will be a T-85 model in the next Terminator film.

NedNew wrote: »
    I remember writing in to Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown council a few years ago to complain about traffic light sequencing on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and they had the gaul to tell me that a partly configured green-wave was indeed in operation on this stretch.

It is. You just have to break the speed limit by at least 5km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

vadzen wrote: »
    Does Dublin have any traffic light green-waves?

nah we like it set so that the green light goes on, we accelerate up nicely to the speed limit, and then the next set of traffic lights just go red as you're approaching them. Works a treat. Keeps the average speed limit in the City to about 15 km/per hour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There's lots of green waves in Dublin but only if you ride a motorbike.
    This is because 1) You've filtered to the top of the queue waiting for the red to go green, i.e. you are always first away and 2) because motorbikes have far superior acceleration than cars, they get up to the speed limit of 50kph in just a few seconds.
    There's several spots in Dublin where I know if Im fast out of the blocks then I can get 4-6 greens in a row. However, often as Im just going through the lights they change to red. I then look in my mirrors and see the pack of cars behind me grind to yet another halt as I spin nicely into the next green :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The N11 from the last lights in Donnybrook to a pedestrian crossing just before Stillorgan have a green wave every day except Sunday after 1900.

The N11 from the last lights in Donnybrook to a pedestrian crossing just before Stillorgan have a green wave every day except Sunday after 1900.
    What time? What direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

N11 from Shankhill roundabout to Donnybrook is possible except for two random pedestrian crossings. But not at the speedlimit.

N11 from Shankhill roundabout to Donnybrook is possible except for two random pedestrian crossings. But not at the speedlimit.
    It means NO green wave.

Advertisement