Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low-fat diet- Gallstones

• 23-04-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with gallstones and I need to eat a more low-fat diet. I was wondering if anybody in the know here could advise me on some snacks/nibbles that are easily located in Irish supermarkets, as my internet searching keeps giving me American snacks.

I'm a student so I snack a good bit, and I rarely have time for a sit-down lunch and it's the snacking between lectures and when I'm studying that's killing me. I've a real sweet tooth but I'm mad for crisps as well. I've been told by the doctor that I need to stop drinking coke, which is a shame cos I love the stuff, but rather cut it out than be in hospital again.

My day-to-day diet mealwise isn't too bad, but the snacks really let me down, I need to find low-fat but filling snacks to keep me going.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

This is probably not what you expect to hear, but I'm such a huge believer in low carb diets because I have gallstones.

I had the horrible attacks, which were more painful than labour, and ate a rigid low fat diet for years while I waited for a break between pregnancy and breastfeeding etc when I could get them out. Even being absolutely religious about the low fat diet, I still got attacks, and I was always terrified of the next one. I'll just say that a low fat diet while pregnant is one of the most miserable things ever.

Someone mentioned Atkins to me, and I started it just to show how ridiculous it was. I announced to everyone I was going to do "This stupid diet" until I had my first gallstone attack. Ten years later, I'm still waiting. I haven't had an attack since.

The hospital rings me up every year, asking if I'm ready for the operation yet, and assuring me that gallstones never go away. I can't comment on that, but I haven't had a single attack since I cut out the refined carbs and stopped eating low fat junk.

When I researched, I discovered that while a high fat meal can start an attack, it's a diet high in refined carbs which causes the gallstones in the first place. If you eat a diet with consistent amounts of fat, you don't get attacks. It's the cereal for breakfast, low fat sandwich for lunch and a Chinese for dinner effect that gives the worst attacks.

I suggest you do a lot of research on gallstones and diet, and then go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I've been told by the doctor that I need to stop drinking coke, which is a shame cos I love the stuff, but rather cut it out than be in hospital again.

Coke is high-carb, not high-fat. Another example of "experts" not having a fcuking clue tbh. It's 100% carbs, 0% fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

davyjose wrote: »
    Coke is high-carb, not high-fat. Another example of "experts" not having a fcuking clue tbh. It's 100% carbs, 0% fat.

Absolutely. Coke has no fat whatsoever. Lots of sugar, but no fat.

I've just recently had my gall bladder out and had to follow a low fat diet too, although you're really only looking to cut out foods high in saturated fat.

Therefore, stay away from pastries, any dairy, processed meats, oils (except a small amount of olive oil), chocolate, potato crisps (I found low fat maize-based crisps like Meanies or quavers were ok). No nuts, either.

Dinners are best left to chicken, lean beef (fillet steak is great) and white fish. Try and stay away from lamb and pork. Mince is ok as long as it's steak mince and you spoon every last drop of fat from it whilst cooking. Grill or bake all your meat - no frying!

Veg and fruit is great - I found making my own smoothies with frozen fruit and fat free natural yoghurt was a great substitute for sweet cravings, although I also consumed a lot of boiled sweets and jellies!

Also, white sauces ar a no-no. Use tomato based sauces with your pasta instead. Pasta and rice is a great way to fill up at dinner time! Try stir frys too - noodles are generally ok (although definitely not the potted kind!)

Try to look at the lables when buying ready made meals or snacks, too. Some of them are deceptively high in fat. Take-aways are out of bounds too, except for certain chinese dishes like chicken szechuans or black pepper sauce dishes. Always go for the boiled rice - never fried.

Best of luck with it, it's not a pleasant condition, but hopefully you'll manage it ok. I assume you'll either be getting the stones removed or the gall bladder out. If so, it's a great relief and may even teach you a few lessons about healthy eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

davyjose wrote: »

Maybe the doctor said eat low fat and also give up coke? Did it say anywhere that the doctor thought coke was high fat?No. But you go ahead and make silly assumptions that you know more:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Maybe the doctor said eat low fat and also give up coke?

Yeah he said that I have to switch to a low fat diet and cut out coke. My dentist will be delighted as well.

I was pretty out of it but from what I remember, he explained that the coke has an effect on the acid in your stomach and the bile and the gallstones etc etc. I'm not 100% but I'm just gonna do what he says.

I'm still a bit stuck for snack ideas though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Maybe the doctor said eat low fat and also give up coke? Did it say anywhere that the doctor thought coke was high fat?No. But you go ahead and make silly assumptions that you know more:rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's a silly assumption as you make out, despite your indignant rolleyes, Jam. The doctor said the OP should cut out fats, and then arbitrarily added coke to the list.
    I'm not saying Coke's a very nice substance to put in the body, but I can't see why he's singling out coke, and not ALL sugar laden products such as sweets, unless he's mixed up about the fat content of coke. If he wants the OP, to go low-fat, and low sugar, fair enough. but that's NOT the same thing.
    Remember, this is for a medical condition, not weight-loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Popcorn. fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The gall bladder is a small pouch-shaped organ which collects and concentrates bile from the liver. When you eat a meal with fat (any fat, not just saturated fat), it excretes some of this concentrated bile into the digestive tract to help emulsify fat so it can be digested.

Gallstones are usually made up of cholesterol, calcium and other ingredients, but this varies. The cholesterol in gallstones comes from the liver, not the diet. The human liver tends to make more cholesterol in response to a diet low in healthy fats.

It's likely that almost everyone over a certain age has some amount of gallstones, but they are usually small enough not to cause problems.

The catch 22 for people with gallstones is that a very low fat diet produces fewer attacks. But if the gall bladder is inactive because of a low fat diet, the gall stones have a chance to grow and get bigger, so subsequent attacks may be worse.

The trick is likely to be eating a diet with just enough fat to prevent attacks, but not so little that the gallstones are allowed to grow.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm in favour of any doctor who says to avoid Coke. I can't think of a single nutritional advantage to the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

EileenG wrote: »
    The gall bladder is a small pouch-shaped organ which collects and concentrates bile from the liver. When you eat a meal with fat (any fat, not just saturated fat), it excretes some of this concentrated bile into the digestive tract to help emulsify fat so it can be digested.

Gallstones are usually made up of cholesterol, calcium and other ingredients, but this varies. The cholesterol in gallstones comes from the liver, not the diet. The human liver tends to make more cholesterol in response to a diet low in healthy fats.

It's likely that almost everyone over a certain age has some amount of gallstones, but they are usually small enough not to cause problems.

The catch 22 for people with gallstones is that a very low fat diet produces fewer attacks. But if the gall bladder is inactive because of a low fat diet, the gall stones have a chance to grow and get bigger, so subsequent attacks may be worse.

The trick is likely to be eating a diet with just enough fat to prevent attacks, but not so little that the gallstones are allowed to grow.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm in favour of any doctor who says to avoid Coke. I can't think of a single nutritional advantage to the stuff.

That's really helpful thanks. It sounds a lot like what my doctor said but as I said above, I was a bit dosed up when he was telling me all this. Thanks Eileen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

cottage cheese, tuna, fruit, oatcakes or home made flap jacks would all be good snacks. the fat (it has none) vs carb content of coke is irrelevant tbh - you should cut it out as your doctor advised. I would echo most of dark crystals post above ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 marrus

Probably a stupid question but does Alcohol bring on Gallbladder pain, I have been diagnosed with inflamation of Gallbladder so waiting to see consultant. Had a glass of white wine and pain is very severe this morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I had my gallbladder out five years ago when I was 22. Nobody even suggested that changing my (crappy-ish) diet would help me avoid surgery, I was just wheeled in straight away. I have no adverse reactions to any food types now, I can eat anything I want. My diet now is almost all whole foods with a good dose of healthy fats. No problems with that. The only time I have any issues is if I eat out and have some ridiculous portions. On occasion it can make me seriously nauseous. This is actually a good thing though as it puts me off overeating totally!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I had gallstones some years ago and managed to steer clear of getting my gallbladder removed and didn't really change my diet. Was fine for years but this week was in agony and my doc thought it mite be them back again or kidney stones. Was sent to hospital yesterday and after they did bloods and an x ray they sent me home telling me to take nexium and panadol. It will be weeks before they do an ultrasound and they want to do a scope sometime too.

I really dont want to get my gallbladder removed as I know someone who nearly died due to this operation and know of 2 more who despite having their gallbladders removed are still suffering from pain. Also I have bad reactions to anaesthetic so if can avoid it I will.

I am a veggie who can't eat fruit due to the fact it gives me bad stomach cramps, I already use (in moderation coz hate milk) skimmed milk, low fat spread and spray oil. My biggest vices are cheese, chips, curry and crisps. Chocolate only gets eaten at that time of the month.

Any advice would be gratefully received coz I really want to try to ensure I don't have to get the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S hall

A low fat diet is helpful in managing weight and lowers the risk of many harmful diseases.

Advertisement