Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowling centres with Bars?

• 15-03-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Lennard wrote: »
    I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.

I thought it was just me. The alley in Kilkenny doesn't have a bar either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority :( It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority :( It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres :D

Is there a reason most bowling alleys dont have bars?

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

tariqbutt wrote: »

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

the bowling alley in Dundalk has a restaurant,fast food and an excellent BAR;)

tariqbutt wrote:

I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends. :confused:

you would wonder why this isnt a problem in other countries though

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bingo92

Alsaa at Dublin airport you can go up to the bar and bring your drink down with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

tariqbutt wrote: »
    I believe it's because of the licensing laws in Ireland. Unless you're a bar or a restaurant it's very difficult and/or expensive to sell alcohol.

Unfortunately in this country we've decided that drinking is mainly allowed in places with hardly any chairs, no food or any other activity.

And we wonder why we have a drinking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I used to frequent a great bowling alley in Chicago with a bar that only sold Budweiser (in bowling pin shaped bottles), but to me bowling and beer are inseparable. Lucky I'm near enough to Dundalk to check that option out.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Lennard wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I once worked there and they do/did have a bar licence, I think it was due to wanting to have people there to bowl and not there to get drunk. Also the large amount of kids parties there meant the last thing they would want would be people oiled up in the day, as many are not content with just 1 drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
    to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Mellio wrote: »
    its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
    to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.

At one point they were certainly not short of money! Given the demographic of the branch in Coolock, a bar may not have been a good idea. Having seen some of the trouble that occurred in the small hours of the weekend when people went there for food after a night out, serving alcohol would not be a good idea (this was when it was 24h opening), like pouring parrafin on a fire to extinguish it.

But we are wandering off topic now, back on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I realise it's not on the north side, but Bray Bowl has a bring your own bear night on Fridays/Saturdays. I think it's €10/20 in, but all the arcades, bowling, and pool are free for the night. It always attracts a crowd so be sure to go early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The new Base centre in Celbridge might be a bit Leisureplex-y for the hardcore bowlers but they told me last week that they will start serving beer in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 antoc9899

All the Leisureplex do Bring you own beer nights.

A bar would be a great idea! :)

Will have to go to Dundalk for that sometime :)

Has anyone been to the new bowling alley near Maynooth/Celbridge? Any good? Does it have a bar?

I was there a couple of weeks ago, it's a good spot. No beers yet at that stage anyway, although they do sell wine. They said if you book a party you can bring your own beers and they'll stick them in the fridge for you but they don't have a licence to sell beer yet.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I was there a couple of weeks ago, it's a good spot. No beers yet at that stage anyway, although they do sell wine. They said if you book a party you can bring your own beers and they'll stick them in the fridge for you but they don't have a licence to sell beer yet.

Sounds good! As a matter of interest, where exactly are they located and what's it called?

If you know the area it's on the Celbridge-Maynooth Road, just past Salesian College if you're coming from the Celbridge side / just past Ray Croftons garage from the Maynooth side.

It's called Base Entertainment Centre.

Decent collection of arcade machines etc upstairs and a nice diner as well.

AFAIK lanes need to be booked in advance at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The new Base centre in Celbridge might be a bit Leisureplex-y for the hardcore bowlers but they told me last week that they will start serving beer in the next two weeks.

At €39 per hour I don't think many will be bowling there! Did they not get the memo... Celtic Tiger is long gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Alsaa now is serving alcohol in the bowling alley. Guinness and Heiniken on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Dundalk has a bar afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Not anymore :mad: It's a bingo place now

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Well that's a pity :( at least you got some bingo goin up there

Advertisement