Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to delete am unwanted toolbar

• 21-11-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to delete an unwanted toolbar ive been stuck with since a download.

I mistakenly went to extensions and deleted the toolbar without unticking the enable box first.

Now I cannot go back and repeat as the extension has been deleted.

How can I get around this?

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to delete an unwanted toolbar ive been stuck with since a download.

I mistakenly went to extensions and deleted the toolbar without unticking the enable box first.

Now I cannot go back and repeat as the extension has been deleted.

How can I get around this?

Thanks a million in advance

control panel > programs and features > look for the toolbar and uninstall it there.

then download spybot, install, update, and immunise. then run scan to remove any malware the toolbar may have installed.

spybot is free

as a rule for me: free toolbars = malware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

control panel > programs and features > look for the toolbar and uninstall it there.

then download spybot, install, update, and immunise. then run scan to remove any malware the toolbar may have installed.

spybot is free

as a rule for me: free toolbars = malware

thanks for the reply, ive done that uninstall via control panel earlier but the search engine still appears when I click google chrome for the first time

Ive also changed my default homepage, but it still appears. I should point out its actually a home page/Search engine that i'm trying to get rid of as opposed to a toolbar.

I know exactly where I went wrong, I clicked delete in "tools/extensions", rather than unticking enable and then deleting. I deleted without disabling the feature

Is there any other way around this?

When I click to download Spybot 2 free edition it throws up a load of options which one should I select?

thanks for the reply, ive done that uninstall via control panel earlier but the search engine still appears when I click google chrome for the first time

Ive also changed my default homepage, but it still appears. I should point out its actually a home page/Search engine that i'm trying to get rid of as opposed to a toolbar.

I know exactly where I went wrong, I clicked delete in "tools/extensions", rather than unticking enable and then deleting. I deleted without disabling the feature

Is there any other way around this?

When I click to download Spybot 2 free edition it throws up a load of options which one should I select?

there is no version 2 yet... it's still in development.... just choose 1.6.2 for now it's likely that the toolbar installed a browser hijacker malware ... spybot should find it and get rid of it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is what you are looking for I think

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    This is what you are looking for I think

Nick

cheers for that Nick, but i've tried that aswell, google.ie is set as my default search engine and I deleted from that list the one that always appears (the one I want rid of).

However it hasn't solved the problem, on startup when I click the google chrome icon the search engine opens that I can get rid of

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If you do not have it long would it not be easier to restore to an earlier date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Look up, reset browser to default for all your browsers aafter you uninstall the toolbar. As for chrome there is an option in settings about which pages to open as defaults when started and default search engines. These toolbars are very annoying but some hefty sentences for spammers is convincing them to at least make them removeable now.

If you do not have it long would it not be easier to restore to an earlier date.

how do you do that?

Apologies, im not the most advanced in these matters :P

Downloaded Spybot but it won't let me remove the problem, it says I need administrator status, whatever that means

how do you do that?

Downloaded Spybot but it won't let me remove the problem, it says I need administrator status, whatever that means

right click on the spybot icon on your desktop then properties then compatibility then tick the run as administrator option and hit apply then ok

then when ever you use spybot it will have the needed admin privileges it needs to clean the malware off your pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

how do you do that?

Hit the start button then all programs, select accessories, then system tools,

you should get the option for system restore.

Advertisement