Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Oh I am a cruel dog owner. :p I showed Charlie a tin of beans and pretended to throw them in the kitchen, he spent about 10 minutes walking circles all around the couch sniffing every inch of it and sticking his nose down all the corners in it frantically looking for the tin being egged on by me, eventually I showed him the tin on the countertop and let him sniff it but no he still believed there was a tin stuck down the couch somewhere. Showed him another tin, nope still wouldn't believe until he licked some beans off a finger and seen someone else eating a plum. Oh karma will get me back some morning if he decides to dig up the couch in search for a tin of beans! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think I've finally cracked it with Bensons fear of long handled things!

A few weeks ago I was cleaning and took out the duster, and extended it. You know the type, €2 shop job, multicoloured and it extends up to twice the length. Cue a look of fear from Benson and he went to slink out of the room. However Coco was on hand and she particularly loves that duster - so she jumped up and started trying to grab it, tail wagging so we engaged in a bit of a game with it. Next thing I know Benson is over doing the same, so I lowered it down to his level and he had a good sniff at it and I wiggled it about so he could try and make a grab for it and also made a little noise at the same time, like a little appeasing whoo-hoo noise. So he responded by playing a bit so I gave him a treat and a big cuddle for being such a brave boy.

Over the next few days I brought the duster out every day for a little game and then introduced the sweeping brush. This normally has him running out of the room and going into the bedroom to hide. Well did the same, had Coco playing and making the noise and Benson decided it mustn't be so bad after all and joined in, I let him sniff it, then play and then gave him his treat. Then introduced the mop and finally last weekend the hoover. He actually sat in the room while I hoovered and it didn't bother him!

I'm so proud of him overcoming all his little issues. He's so so much more confident then he was, nothing is an obstacle to him now. He's only home 6 months and every day I can't believe how much he has come out of his shell - and how much he takes reassurance from Coco. He really looks up to her as a big sister who always knows the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah that's great news about Benson!! Maybe I need to employ a brave dog then for Bailey to learn from lol! I've often wondered if we got another pup would it take it's cue from it's scaredy pants big brother!?

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah that's great news about Benson!! Maybe I need to employ a brave dog then for Bailey to learn from lol! I've often wondered if we got another pup would it take it's cue from it's scaredy pants big brother!?

You never know what might happen!! There are other sides to it though, Benson had no problems with cats when he arrived, they used to wander around him when he was in EGAR and they didn't bother him in the slightest. But Coco hates them - chases them out of the garden and gives so much "guff" to our nearest neighbours cats it's not funny. So Benson now hates cats because Coco does!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm so proud of him overcoming all his little issues. He's so so much more confident then he was, nothing is an obstacle to him now.

Isn't it so so lovely to see, I still well up at times when I see the progress made. Really well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm so f-ing angry...

UL has their rag week this week, tonight is the "farmers ball"... they just posted pics on FB...they've ACTUAL sheep in the courtyard which is the smoking area for the bar, going to be V noisy and full of drunk students... WTF are they thinking?! Reported it to limerick animal welfare page already, but have a look...
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381338238562417.102461.183618918334351&type=1

How stupid do you have to be?!

Here he is playing with the brush!! :D

http://youtu.be/AyzKhJvRJCQ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Finally, after moving my life out to Malta 7 weeks ago my girlfriend and our 2 dogs arrived yesterday morning safe and sound after a 5 day journey from Dublin.

Delighted is an understatement!

Finally, after moving my life out to Malta 7 weeks ago my girlfriend and our 2 dogs arrived yesterday morning safe and sound after a 5 day journey from Dublin.

:) The family is back together lol

:) The family is back together lol

Yup :) bit of a hassle and a lot of money but hopefully it'll all be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

So I was just walking Gussie, and we bumped into who we think is his sister! She was exactly the same as him except she was fully golden. Gussie is mainly black. The same size and everything, so cute! Reunited! They had so much fun playing together, I think they must have remembered each other! :D

DRAMA!! It kicked off in the park earlier - between 2 owners!! :O

Bailey was playing with one of his friends - then all of a sudden he had him by the neck pulling out of him - 1 year old lab. This is a new thing the last few times we've seen him - play growls and wrestling like they used to do before seem to be one sided now with yer man with a mouthful of Bailey literally dragging him around the ground which imo is too rough - even if Bailey just lies there on his back without making a yelp or anything.. Last time he did it I decided it was too much and called/distracted my guy so he'd stop playing..
    This evening when it happened there was another owner there with a beautiful gsd puppy - the guy went ballistic when he saw what the lab was doing and told the owner to get him under control, put a muzzle on him etc and that it was far too rough. He told the dog to get away from the pup - eg 'get out of it' not shouting but sternly.
    ANYHOOS the other guy didn't appreciate this assessment of his dogs behaviour and it kicked off between the two of them threatening each other and all!. :O

I think the puppy owner was dead right? Just one bad expereince could have a huge impact on the puppy - as I've learnt the hard way! I think I may even tell the other guy this if he brings it up!

I see page 6 of the Sunday world has the story about the guy blooding the mastiff that was going round a few weeks ago. Usual crap with someone saying these dogs should be muzzled 24/7! >:-(

Anyone here watching the Got to Dance final? Prodijig were brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whispered wrote: »
    Anyone here watching the Got to Dance final? Prodijig were brilliant!
    Yeh picked them out to win a few weeks ago. Amazing!

STRAINING not to reply to a recent new thread so posting here instead. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anniehoo I thought they were great at the start too but never thought they could win to be honest. I was so bored by fear of the unknown by the end of it. Was great to see diversity dance to actual music instead of their usual silly machine noises.

STRAINING not to reply to a recent new thread so posting here instead. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)

I had a funny thing happen last week.. walking by the playground (dog on lead of course) and a kid roars 'OH NO A DOG IS COMING!!!" - I must have :rolleyes: because the mother tore strips off him as we passed saying it was very rude. He was right to be worried - he had half a sliced pan in his hands for the ducks - Bailey would have gobbled it up in seconds given half the chance!! :pac::pac:

;)

I had a funny thing happen last week.. walking by the playground (dog on lead of course) and a kid roars 'OH NO A DOG IS COMING!!!" - I must have :rolleyes: because the mother tore strips off him as we passed saying it was very rude. He was right to be worried - he had half a sliced pan in his hands for the ducks - Bailey would have gobbled it up in seconds given half the chance!! :pac::pac:

haha funnily it's not that thread. :p

Would bailey take the bread from the kid do you think? I reckon Phoe would if he got close enough, he assumes ALL food belongs to him. :rolleyes: He's very gentle but has always been very food obsessed. Harley wouldn't, I know he'd nose at the bag and look all expectant, but would take it unless offered. Fair play to the mother.

It's so sad when you see a child who is afraid of dogs, like properly afraid. There is a little girl on our road who used to get hysterical if we drove past with Harley looking out the window! She was having a nose in the sitting room window one day and started screaming about the dog when he looked back out. :eek: I was shocked when I heard her mother encouraging the fear, telling her that the dog was going to eat her while we were walking past one day. Although in fairness, we met her with her father and he asked if she could say hello, and he stood her on the garden wall and got Harley to put his paws up beside her. She did very well patting him and trying to be brave. :) She still walks into a garden when she sees us coming but doesn't scream any more and always has a big wave for us.

We were walking our two yesterday, when we're feeling lazy we go to a place about 20 mins walk away where they can be let offlead for a swim and all. It's totally enclosed so once you keep an eye on the gate for other walkers we're generally ok. We were there for over an hour when out of the back of the field 3 people appeared. Thankfully both boys are pretty good off-lead but we always put them back on when we see people, just in case. When they left we walked to where they had come from and saw the start of a trail along the river! It was starting to get dark so we left it, but will head back down soon to see where it goes. :)

haha funnily it's not that thread. :p

Would bailey take the bread from the kid do you think?

I don't know if he's just go up and rob it but would probably beg? He swam in front of people who were throwing bread in to the ducks one time and caught the bread they were throwing - they weren't impressed lol!! If there's bread that's sunk to the bottom he sticks his head under the water to get it lol :rolleyes:

I spoke too soon. They have to go into boarding kennels until 1st April.

Gutted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My god....i only came on here in 2007 for a quick look. 4000 posts later am still here!!!!!:p Dunno whether to be proud or worried lol :D

anniehoo wrote: »
    My god....i only came on here in 2007 for a quick look. 4000 posts later am still here!!!!!:p Dunno whether to be proud or worried lol :D

Congrats lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Happy 4000th post! :D

(try reading that out loud :p)

I think I joined just to answer 1 question, 1 turned into 1000 more like! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Two cats outside and they seem to singing
    Meowing as best they can

I wish they'd stop
    It sounds like a baby infant outside, it's creepy :eek:

Then I get woken up at night by other cats fighting
    Lying in bed and messing around on youtube and you'd get a jump with the sudden racket
    Quieten down out there

I have anti-social cats living in my estate
    Go take your messing up the road to the local park, this is a resident area and people are trying to sleep :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have finally discovered the secret to cat poo stuck in terrier hair. :D

1. Wash dog with good quality dog shampoo

2. Apply Christies 'The Stuff' liberally while still wet.

Two weeks on and it looks like nothing will stick to this dog :eek: I've often removed little pieces of dried in mud with my nails and thought we had one of these yesterday. However to my horror my nail went right through it as it turned out to be not dried mud but a tiny slug :(

So proud of my little guy. Went for a walk last night and met someone walking a little shihtzu x, was contemplating crossing the road as usual but decided not to, two dogs met each other with no hassle from either of them, no pulling, no barking and we stood for ages letting them have a good sniff, when we went to walk away I thought oh here now he'l start (thats normally when he would start up if the initial meet and sniff goes ok) but he trotted away without even a backward glance. Must have been that she's a nice little bitch! :D

Then this morning first of all two bikes cycled past us from behind (again a typical reaction from him would be bark and pull especially when they sneak up behind him) at fairly medium speed, not even a pull on the lead out of him, kept on trotting beside me happy out. Same story last week, guy cycling at him head on that 6 months ago he would bark and lunge and generally sound like he wants to kill the guy (don't blame him, same fella wanted to buy him off me to let off after the foxes :rolleyes:), just looked at him and kept on trotting by my ankle. Then met a woman walking 3 dogs offlead who she distracted by throwing stones to lure them away from us, but charlie still seen them and walked close enough to one cocker spaniel without any barking, just 1 little grumble from him and that was it. Again 6 months ago it would have been holy war and a sore arm trying to drag him away.

Have noticed also in the past few weeks him getting a lot better in general with traffic, normally a tractor, bus, large noisy lorry or a rattley trailer would all warrant a lunge, pull and consistent bark at but lately only a really rattley trailer or lorry get an ears pricked up 1 little yap before a quick return to my ankle.

So all in all I'm very proud of my little guy, has only taken 4 years but were getting there. Still waiting for the day he doesn't bark at strange cats but being a typical terrier I won't be holding my breath! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Isnt it mad how dogs just love each other... (random i know)

here's buddy showing Izzy how much he loves her, spent the last 5 minutes licking everywhere cleaning her after she had just done the same for him!

• Advertisement

I'm DYING to go camping and the forecast for next weekend seems not too bad. I can't decide. I'm thinking if we bring a fire pit to sit around and loads of blankets we'd be warm enough.

I can see myself sitting there at 2 am shivering thinking "what the hell was I thinking" :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement