Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we win today

• 04-03-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Apart from Wales and Scotland neither France or Ireland have been properly examined with both teams clearly playing below par. IMO its even stevens (yes I said even stevens :D)

We lost to Wales by 2 points (mind you from a penalty that should never have been given) but we beat Italy by more than what France did (by 10 points more) that's got to count for something? While France just about beat Scotland but have 2 wins to our 1.

So, if we win today would your overall opinion of Kidney change?

If we win today would your overall opinion of Kidney change? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

from positive to negative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It depends. If we win with France throwing 4 intercepts and a chargedown, then they'll have beaten themselves.

I think Kidney handled the Italy game quite well. He made proactive use of the bench and in the 2nd half in particular we played some nice rugby. If we see that sort of thing again and win the game then credit will have to go to Kidney to be fair. One game definitely will not turn my opinion around though after 2 years of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

duckysauce wrote: »
    from positive to negative ?

Yes, everyone has blamed Kidneys management style (choice of players) tactics ect on our recent decline today is about tactics and player management IMO if we win today it would prove Kidneys worth

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I am confident about today. That is one thing I like about Kidney, he does get his players to produce on the big days.

My concerns about the team are elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No.

I'd still want Kidney to manage Ireland for another few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If we beat France England and Scotland I'll be happy enough with Kidney. It will take more than one game to change ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Mixed. It will certainly show a level of tactical astuteness that he has rarely displayed previously. With that in mind, I'd be happy to see him coaching Ireland. But with the future in mind his selection policy needs to change and it's hindering Ireland significantly through the selection of inferior players that he seems to have tunnel vision for. I'll hold fire but if today shows good tactics, good use of the bench and the ability to change our plan if things are going wrong or to expose the French, it will be a massive step forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It really depends on how the team performs. We can win and still perform badly - the much overused "winning ugly" if you will.

There's also the (remote) possibility that France have a collective brainfart and beat themselves.

So winning is not the complete metric on Kidney's performance as coach. You could prehaps have a 'wait and see' option on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I read in the IT yesterday that 50% of French tries in recent years have come off turnovers. So I think if Ireland keep mistakes to a minimum, we are in with a shout. But if the balls we were trying last week don't go to hand again than it could be a long day in Paris.

France are vulnerable in defence so hopefully we can exploit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

One result cannot change three years.

However, if we were to start playing the game that we kicked off (and ended) last years 6N with, I might be less apprehensive about the decision pre-WC to give him an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

its_phil wrote: »
    I read in the IT yesterday that 50% of French tries in recent years have come off turnovers. So I think if Ireland keep mistakes to a minimum, we are in with a shout. But if the balls we were trying last week don't go to hand again than it could be a long day in Paris.

France are vulnerable in defence so hopefully we can exploit it.

I agree, plus scoring tries is certainly not one of our weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

just been to bookies 11/4 for win. must be the hangover but i kinda feeling it could be our day. 6/1 to win by under 5 points to looks decent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd wait until the end of the 6 Nations before doing another review. Today will be the half way point in the comp so still plenty of time to make it a positive tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

No.

If we win today and maintain the level of performance over the next few games, yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

No to be honest. If we win today it only confirms to me that this team has regressed to only winning the odd miracle game but losing consistently.

I really don't know how anyone could defend Kidney when looking at his win/loss ratio of the last 2 years. Its disgraceful.

But, but Kidney won a grand slam........Clive Woodward won a world cup but when he regressed as a coach he was given the boot. Kidney is a poor coach, time to go. The sad truth is that if he wasn't so beloved down in Munster he'd be on his way out. He has strong support from the Munster contingent both inside and outside the IRFU. However I have yet to find one supporter from Leinster/Ulster/Connacht who thinks he should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

Higher wrote: »
    No to be honest. If we win today it only confirms to me that this team has regressed to only winning the odd miracle game but losing consistently.

I really don't know how anyone could defend Kidney when looking at his win/loss ratio of the last 2 years. Its disgraceful.

But, but Kidney won a grand slam........Clive Woodward won a world cup but when he regressed as a coach he was given the boot. Kidney is a poor coach, time to go. The sad truth is that if he wasn't so beloved down in Munster he'd be on his way out. He has strong support from the Munster contingent both inside and outside the IRFU. However I have yet to find one supporter from Leinster/Ulster/Connacht who thinks he should stay.

Probably the worst wum i seen on here and that takes some doing. munster fans all want kidney as irish coach? my hole they do.

Probably the worst wum i seen on here and that takes some doing. munster fans all want kidney as irish coach? my hole they do.

Well the only people I see defending him on internet forums and in the media all conveniently have a soft spot for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Higher wrote: »
    Well the only people I see defending him on internet forums and in the media all conveniently have a soft spot for Munster.

And all the supporters who are gung ho to see him cast aside conveniently have a soft spot for Leinster...

Seriously though, are you capable of posting something that isn't clearly based on a LvM rivalry? You're making me feel/look like an objective and balanced poster ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

I would love to know who actually suggested O Sullivan and Kidney.I have a bad feeling about today with Murray,Sexton,Earls and darcy a hugh concern.Hope DOC does not give away penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

And all the supporters who are gung ho to see him cast aside conveniently have a soft spot for Leinster...

If Ulster and Connacht fans have a soft spot for Leinster, that's their choice! ;)

I think you'll find (if you go back that far) that most people were in favour of Kidney taking over the job regardless of whether they were Munster, Leinster, Connacht or Ulster supporters; myself included.

He started very well with the 09 grand slam but since then and especially in the 6N there have been very few highlights. EOS' head was being called for in spite of better overall win percentages than Kidney has acheived.

When three of our four provinces are into the knockout stages of the HEC, the contrast to the performance of the national team couldn't be more stark. It's also an accumulation of small but worrying trends such as not replacing the backs coach, ignoring form players (and I include form Munster and Ulster players in this) and a gameplan that appears to be going against the grain of the selected players.

Seriously though, are you capable of posting something that isn't clearly based on a LvM rivalry? You're making me feel/look like an objective and balanced poster ffs.

Are you serious? Look at Ulster forums opinion of Kidney or better yet ask some Connacht supporters on here if they think Kidney should go.

If you honestly think that ALL the supporters who want Kidney to go are from Leinster then it is you who is posting based on LvM rivalry not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT ANYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Or Ulster, or Connacht, or Munster...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT ANYTHING

I'd be the same as I was before the game to be honest. At the end of the 6 Nations I think is the best time to look back at how the team and management have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I CANT BELIEVE THERE WAS NO DRAW OPTION IN THE POLL

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

France were poor in the first half. Ireland played well up until half time. They choked it in the 2nd half. Kidney is still not good enough. Needs to be a change post 6N if Ireland are to have any chance of winning the next RWC.

Leinster7 wrote: »
    France were poor in the first half. Ireland played well up until half time. They choked it in the 2nd half. Kidney is still not good enough. Needs to be a change post 6N if Ireland are to have any chance of winning the next RWC.
    France were surprised in the first half by our use of the rush defense. Nothing in our previous outings would have suggested we'd be using it and they got caught flat footed. They responded in the second half once PSA had a chance to react to it and of course we had no plan B to change things up once the element of surprise was lost.

The weather and Pearson didn't help either, but when you've no attacking game plan, you can't rely on opposition mistakes for a full match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement