Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statute of limitations on SPOILERS...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Whenever I see someone complaining about spoilers in a speciic thread about a film I wonder what they're doing in a thread about a film they haven't seen in the first place. Say Citizen Kane were to be released next week and there was a thread discussing it, once its out people should expect the fact that a thread dedicated to discussing it will have spoilers. I can see how if it's a general "Last Movie Watched" thread or something then you might complain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The way things are currently done is all good. Everyone uses spoiler tags until a note of "Spoilers from post ___ onwards" is added to the thread.

What is really annoying is when someone openly posts spoilers about a movie not related to the thread itself. There's no way of knowing that someone's gonna do it and it's fucking annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I think everyone is in agreement that specific film threads should be viewed with caution, but open ended multi-movie threads should be tagged often, and with a lick of common sense.

The question of whether to "spoil" older movies then brings in the question of popularity. The Usual Suspects, Signs, Star Wars are all movies that have been parodied to death, some people will have had movies spoiled from parodies and not realise until they see the original. But more under the radar movies, no matter how old should always be handled with kid gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

How much hassle is it to put spoiler tags in?
    There's a fúcking shortcut in everyone's editor to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

How much hassle is it to put spoiler tags in?
    There's a fúcking shortcut in everyone's editor to do it!

Its not the hassle of adding spoiler tags. Its the distruption to the flow of the conversation. Having to stop and highlight every other post gets annoying, maybe thats just me, but I prefer to read and scroll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its common sense really, i know or knew plenty of spoiler for old films I hadnt watched yet, didnt stop me from enjoying them one bit, I knew who Rosebud was, how Gone With The Wind or Casablanca ended etc etc as they're famous scenes from famous movies.

must have been a bitch for people seeing Platoon the first time since the fate of a character is ruined on the poster :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Skinfull wrote: »
    Its not the hassle of adding spoiler tags. Its the distruption to the flow of the conversation. Having to stop and highlight every other post gets annoying, maybe thats just me, but I prefer to read and scroll!

Ctrl-A
    krudler wrote: »
    must have been a bitch for people seeing Platoon the first time since the fate of a character is ruined on the poster :pac:

Someone on their knees looking up at the sky hardly gives much away. Plus you can't even see who it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ok to reveal the spoiler in D.W Griffith's "Birth Of A Nation" (1916) yet?
    It's a load of racist claptrap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

its common sense really, i know or knew plenty of spoiler for old films I hadnt watched yet, didnt stop me from enjoying them one bit, I knew who Rosebud was, how Gone With The Wind or Casablanca ended etc etc as they're famous scenes from famous movies.

Same here, in fact so many films are predictable its more a matter of how its done than the revelation itself, I read up about a lot of older movies before watching them and it doesn't spoil them at all. Btw Trying making some spoiler from the last 20 mins. of 2001!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd wager the Simpsons has spoiled more movies for me than I care to remember, "wait a minute, statue of liberty? that was OUR planet! you maniacs! you blew it up!"

also the dvd cover kinda ruins it:

planet-of-the-apes-1968.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'd wager the Simpsons has spoiled more movies for me than I care to remember, "wait a minute, statue of liberty? that was OUR planet! you maniacs! you blew it up!"

Agreed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"You liked Rashomon!"
    "That's not how I remember it"

Probably the most brilliant, multi-layered joke about Japanese cinema to ever make it onto mainstream television.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I only get one layer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I only get one layer...

As a kid, I always thought it was a funny, throwaway line.

Then on a later rewatch having seen the film I realised it was a meta-joke about the film itself, and it made me chuckle heartily in a whole new way. And that's why the Simpsons is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I voted for more than 10 years.

I think people do utilise common sense when posting about newly released movies however I would deem it unnecessary to spoiler tag the older movies especially those that enjoyed a widespread release and the 'twist' is ingrained in popular culture as per TESB, Citizen Kane, Planet of the Apes or Psycho.

For older 'popular' movies which are well known for containing a twist ending (like the usual suspects or the sixth sense), then it would be okay to openly discuss them because the whole movie hinges on those major plot points and using the spoiler tags would be at the posters discretion.

An extreme example would be someone complaining on a film forum and opening a thread entitled "What's your favourite movie twist?" and complaining about spoiler tags not being used. :D

A lovely example was around the time Million Dollar Baby was released. Only knowing the general plot and a few days before I planned on seeing it, I read an Irish Times article about Clint Eastwoods directing career, the idiotic journalist included the following peach
    "....Million Dollar Baby, nationwide this friday, opens up the debate about euthenasia and the right to die"
    :rolleyes:

Now anyone with half a brain could see where this was going...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

also the dvd cover kinda ruins it:

planet-of-the-apes-1968.jpg

Not that it was a twist ending but The Graduate is another one, I knew the ending beat for beat even right down to the simon and garfunkel song at the end before I'd ever laid eyes on the film because of the simpsons (and to a lesser extent Wayne's World).

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

regarding spoilers, as the briggs found out...

"every man has gottta know his limitations...!!!"

;)

Advertisement