Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

• 03-04-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Does anyone else think that it's stupid that we can't drink on good Friday? I mean if people think it's wrong to drink on that day and they'll go to hell if they do then that's fine. But why should everyone else have to give it up too??
    I know it's only one day and I could easily not drink for that day, but it's the principle of the matter! Not everyone is a christian!
    Also, you're not supposed to eat meat on good Friday, but you can still do it if you want! Whereas it's against the law to serve alcohol, where's the sence in that?? :confused:

Do you agree with drink being forbidden on good Friday? 187 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Am not religious but I don't mind giving up drink for 1 day
    36% 69 votes
    No
    63% 118 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its not a specifically Catholic law, it goes back to the evangelist movement in England in the 18th and 19th century, where evangelist christians persistantly campaigned for tighter licensing laws, keeping Sunday holy, etc. This is no different. [/history nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah you're right, I meant to put christian, not catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think it ludicrous that the pubs are closed on good friday, partly because im not a catholic and partly because this is 2007, but its only one day and if there is a country that could do with a day off the pub its us, but then that wont stop drinking, have you ever walked into an off licence on the evening of the thursday before, you would think there was a permanent prohibition coming into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Exactly! People are going to drink anyway! Only religious people are going to give it up. It's the same with xmas day. There's no pubs open but people still stack up beforehand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

MikeHoncho wrote:
    i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.

Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I voted yes, purely because the prohibition has the effect of making it one of the booziest days of the year. (Probably only coming behind St. Patrick's and New Year's.) I've started stocking up already in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

xzanti wrote:
    Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?
    It depends on the place. Some do and come don't.

I kind of think that the main reason people drink on Good Friday is because they're told they can't. If they changed the law and said that everyone must drink on Good Friday, you'd probably get everyone not drinking out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Option 2 is wrong as you don't have to give up drinking for the day just cos the pubs are closed.

Tbh, I'd say the pubowners really hate GF as it encourages people to drink at home and not go to their rip-off, understaffed pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

ah boo hoo

some people are hilarious, wont have gone out for the past few weeks but as soon as they cant drink on friday, will go mad for drink

people stocking up and buying loads of drink this week?
    for what, do you normally do that on every other friday?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

whatever about Alchohol, I always make sure to have a nice juicy steak on Good Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Up here in Belfast the pubs start serving booze again at 5.00pm, which isn't so bad. I will finish work half day, go home, have a few tins maybe, then head out at 5.00pm. They close again at Midnight though. I too agree, if you are religious then simply don't drink but there is no reason for everyone to have to be inconvenienced. It is not that I am a raging alcoholic, but more out of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

WARNING: The following post displays large quantities of ignorance and stupidity.

Up until last year I had never realised that we weren't supposed to drink on Good Friday.

I knew that pubs, shops and supermarkets couldn't serve alcohol, but never made the connection between that, and the fact that it meant we weren't supposed to consume the product either.

Like the way pubs close on Christmas day, but we all drink anyhow, or the way gambling was banned on a Sunday, but people did it anyway.

I never twigged that it being banned from sale also meant it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.

(P.S I am educated to a degree level, am in my 20's and I operate in the 'real' world on a regular basis!):o:o:o:o

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.

Which for those who are not devout Christians means SFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I hate to say this but less people would drink if the pubs were open.

You know us irish we will walk through fire to get last orders in never mind being told we cant drink for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not religious at all, so I think pubs should be allowed to open if they want on Good Friday, as to me its the same as any other Friday.

I do think the bitching about it that goes on every year is hilarious though. FFS people, just stock up in an off licence the day before if its such a big deal. Twats that buy train tickets just to drink on Good Friday make me laugh. Fools.

Mrs Doyle - what do you mean by "weren't supposed"? Are you talking prohibited-by-religion or by law?

I don't really mind the closing of the pubs since I'll be stocking up myself, but I am hoping the day is a good one for a barbeque.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

LFCFan wrote:
    whatever about Alchohol, I always make sure to have a nice juicy steak on Good Friday :)

This year, have it beer battered.

mmm, beer battered steak on Good Friday!! I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Stephen wrote:

Mrs Doyle - what do you mean by "weren't supposed"? Are you talking prohibited-by-religion or by law?
    Religion.

Last year, on Good Friday, I went to a house party in Portarlington, and had a great time.
    When I came home the following day my Mam (who never, ever goes to mass bar a Wedding, Funeral or Christening) starts giving out to me.
    I couldn't for the life of me figure out what her problem was, until she says, "The one day of the year the Lord asks you not to drink and you go out binging." I just said "Ah now, for feck sake, if the Lord had have come down and specifically asked me not to do it then I might have reconsidered my plans."

Anyhow, that was the first I knew of the fact that the Lord himself supposedly asked us not to drink alcohol on Good Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Church should have no influence on a countries laws. Pubs should be allowed to open on Friday but there are no TDs with the balls to challenge a law based on religion, so it won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭sioda

Publicans dont mind closing on Good Friday ask any floor varnisher or painter. A stack of pubs redo the pub floors & walls on good friday every year as its the only day of the year they are closed and can get the work done.

Plus it gives good hard working bar staff the day off.

The pub I used to work in had a interpub soccer tournament in the local park on good friday with the losing pub having to stand drinks for the winning side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What gets me is the amount of people I know who are not regular drinkers who go beserk about it.

I mean they probably go out on the tear once a month but can't live with the pubs being closed for just 2 days out of 365.

Holy Thursday night in pubs is a sight to behold; you would think there was an impending apocalypse by the way people put the gargle away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Religion.

Last year, on Good Friday, I went to a house party in Portarlington, and had a great time.
    When I came home the following day my Mam (who never, ever goes to mass bar a Wedding, Funeral or Christening) starts giving out to me.
    I couldn't for the life of me figure out what her problem was, until she says, "The one day of the year the Lord asks you not to drink and you go out binging." I just said "Ah now, for feck sake, if the Lord had have come down and specifically asked me not to do it then I might have reconsidered my plans."

Anyhow, that was the first I knew of the fact that the Lord himself supposedly asked us not to drink alcohol on Good Friday.

don't suppose you know the chapter and verse of that particular request do you, or was it yet another edict from Rome, such as eating fish on fridays and "Limbo" designed to scare us into their way of thinking?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a bit silly tbh, everyone drinks at home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It really is time to end the interference of a minority of religious zealots dictating to the rest of the populations what they can and can't do on a particular day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Zebra3 wrote:
    Tbh, I'd say the pubowners really hate GF as it encourages people to drink at home and not go to their rip-off, understaffed pubs.

I've worked in a few bars and they love GF. Generally it means a staff party in the pub with any good regular customers (plus the occasional gard coming in to "buy cigarettes" :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I don't drink and I don't believe in any god.

I may have been born and raised a Catholic but I despise how church ridden our country once was and, to a certain extent, still is.

If people have particularly strong religous beliefs and wish to adhere to them then I'm sure nobody would begrudge them that. However, I absolutely detest the amount of laws and practices that are part and parcel of this country only because of their links to Christianity - and Catholicism in particular.

No pubs opening on Good Friday is just the start of it in my opinion. So the Catholic church forbids the sale (and consumption) of alcohol on Good Friday and unfortunately for people of other religous beliefs they have to suffer too. (I know they can buy drink ahead of time - but why should be prevented going to their local just because the Catholic church don't think members of their flock should).

By the same logic, anywhere that serves food should be forced to close during the hours of daylight during Ramadan. We are a multi cultural society now after all.

All pork products should similarly be banned - permanantly! There are a great many Jewish people in our country - we have to cater for them too.

Turn on RTE at noon or 6pm and you get the Angelus. Does our national radio station broadcast muslim calls to prayer? In a PC move RTE tried to say it wasn't a religously motivated thing and was instead intended to offer people time to reflect. Bull**** - why is it still on at traditional Angelus times and why do their continuity announcers still refer to it as pausing for "the Angelus"

Aaarrrggghhh! I think i need to stop now before my head explodes. But in summary, my point is... why should the religous beliefs of a subset of our community be inflicted upon the entire nation through legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Riskymove wrote:
    What gets me is the amount of people I know who are not regular drinkers who go beserk about it.

I mean they probably go out on the tear once a month but can't live with the pubs being closed for just 2 days out of 365.

Well if they only go out once a month and those two days are ones in which they would, then that's 2 out of 12, a bit more significant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think pubs should be allowed open if they want but wont be drinking on Friday anyway.

Advertisement