Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pics of apt, rare, funny number plates taken in Ireland if possible

• 10-09-2006 5:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

There are quite a few great plates running around these days.. anyone seen ones that are apt, memorable,funny or just plain silly?

Heres a pic of the most expensive N.I plate on a Dodge Ram LHD... its apt both for the size of the beast it is on and for the price paid (£104,000 sterling)
    (the same guy from belleek in Co. Fermanagh paid £30,000 each for BIG2 and BIG3 on the same day)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heres one spotted this evening... First time I have seen an english number on Irish county plates... Quite clever though.. was on a nice new Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

And not road legal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't have a picture but I saw an X5 with the plate X5 OIL the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Saw an Irish M3 with Irish numbers, but the plate was German. i.e. Had D instead of Irl above the EU stars. Bit strange I thought.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Seen a blue Mazda MX5 a few years ago. Can't remember the year but it was XX MH 5. The H was made look like an X. so it read XX MX 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

zuutroy wrote:
    Saw an Irish M3 with Irish numbers, but the plate was German. i.e. Had D instead of Irl above the EU stars. Bit strange I thought.

At the terenure classic car show I noticed a few irish cars with irish regs but german D plates ?
    The cars were all Audis bmws etc so I presumed they are a german car club or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Silvera

The 'IG' in AIG, BIG, etc was actually an unused 'Irish' combination up until about a year ago. i.e. Ireland - North or Republic - could have used it!

Co. Fermanagh 'took' it as their combinations were running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

No photos but I did see:

A Lexus LS430 with the reg 02-LS-430

and Honda S2000 with

xx-D-52000 (with the 5 shaped as an S) ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's another one of those "German plates"

rabbitle2.jpg

I was wondering where in Germany Ä represented and then wondered about the strange number spacings, had a look at the tax disc and it was in fact an English number A398HKD, totally illegal spacing and letters! My guess is it is an attempt to beat Radar cameras.

Also saw 05MH54 on an Audi S4 close by, the 5 was "rounded off" a little to look like an S!

Remember years ago seeing the English plate A 1 on a Mark 1 Granada Estate being used as a service barge by Dunlop at the Phoenix Park Races. At one time when Dunlop was going through hard times they reckoned the plate was worth more than the company!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What are the small numbers on the right side for?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:

I would guess that they are the date of first registration 13/10/82

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Saw a Merc S55 AMG once, spaced exactly like this, no bars:

04 D4 04 55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I saw a Nissan Sentra (remember those?) in Granard today with the reg. KIT xx (xx being numbers, obviously). Somewhat humorous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

Bond-007 wrote:

This plate is not legal since 13/10/1982. They're German temporary plates valid only in Germany. You get them when you buy a car and you want to drive it home and the car is not insured or tested. When you import a car from Germany you need to get plates with red colour instead of yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

BMW Z3 with the following: 00-D-23 007

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I actually remember seeing 9*-D-007 on an old SL. Odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Do-more wrote:

rabbitle2.jpg

It seems to be a mix of a couple of different plates stuck together by someone trying to pull a fast one.

Reasons why its fake :

1. Format not used until 1995
    2. The small numbers on the right hand side mean the plate is valid for 5 days from the date displayed.
    3. Plate appears to be recently printed. Thats a MkI Golf and the plate is very new looking,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

does my safrane with 97 d 97 count? :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NiSmO wrote:
    I don't get that one.
    My father used to have a carine with 9*-D-1557 though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Aston martin: 0? D 7007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

audi s3
    03D30303 so it just looks like 03030303

06-d-87 which looks like 06 DB7 (can be seen in ormonde cinema car park)

my favourite was ken dohertys K 4 KEN on a 3 series. Doesnt have it anymore though.

Theres so many more,i just dont want to make people bored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

porsche 911 with a reg of XX D 911

Do-more wrote:

rabbitle2.jpg

Havn't found a definate answer but I figure that the German plates are used to beat the number plate recognition software used for the London congestion charging. Guess this type of German temporary plate really does the job with all the extra digits on the right hand side. These type of plates can be bought online at www.germanplates.com

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Do-more wrote:
    Havn't found a definate answer but I figure that the German plates are used to beat the number plate recognition software used for the London congestion charging. Guess this type of German temporary plate really does the job with all the extra digits on the right hand side. These type of plates can be bought online at www.germanplates.com

What was wrong with my explaination ?

invest4deepvalue.com

KTRIC wrote:
    What was wrong with my explaination ?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, it explained the "what" very well, but I was looking more as to the "why".

Cheers

Do-less!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

porsche 911 with a reg of XX D 911
    Real original...I'm sorry to say I saw a Boxter the other day with XX D 9113

dsc00631nf4.jpg

• Advertisement

That reminds me I saw a Volvo 740 Estate with the plate OFF 41Y over for a GAA match recently illegally spaced to read OFFALY of course!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement