Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolph Ziggler

• 25-11-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Source: F4WOnline.com
    Don't expect Dolph Ziggler's pursuit of the Intercontinental title to amount to anything soon as WWE officials have reportedly "given up on him".

As we reported a few months ago, Ziggler was scheduled to win the belt from Rey Mysterio over the Summer, however Mysterio opposed the idea and it didn't go ahead. Instead, Mysterio agreed to drop the belt to John Morrison as a result of his 30-day suspension for violating the company's drug testing policy.

Ziggler's pursuit of the Intercontinental title has been -relentless, taking part in twenty-six title matches at various events, losing all but two. On television, he has failed to retrieve the title on three pay-per-views and four separate episodes of SmackDown.

Ironically in the latest issue of WWE Magazine, Ziggler was voted as "Most Deserving of a Title Shot" among his peers in the "Superstar Survey".

WWE officials have reportedly given up on him - why? :confused:

He is one of the best up coming stars on SD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

JP Liz wrote: »

He is one of the best up coming stars on SD

In the Rumours/News thread, I put this in my post. It say's he's lost 26 IC Title matchs (house and TV shows) in the space of 5 months. Surely that's a record.

I don't know what he has done wrong, tbh but watching his promo at Breaking Point w/ Pat Patterson, he's awful on the mic. His wrestling style is good and his 1 of the future but he's had/having a really bad run of luck. Rey didn't drop the title to him but did to JoMo. If Ziggler does win the IC title, I think WWE won't know what to do with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its a shame, but come on, giving a dude the moniker of "Dolph Ziggler" is priming the guy to be future endeavoured.

I have seen nothing but potential in the guy. Good look and can work the ring and has had a good programe with JoMo. I fail to see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

As your post said Rey refused to put him [another reason for me to dislike him. He's a midget HHH] over so that definitely didn't help. I guess management will always think of him as one of the Spirit Squad members.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rey refusing to drop the title to him hurt him badly. Then Rey dropping it to Morrison because of his suspension meant that they couldn't take the title off Morrison too soon or he'd look weak. Ziggler was screwed either way. In my opinion, Rey should have agreed to drop the title to Ziggler when his suspension came in. It was bad enough that he wouldn't lose to Ziggler, but even worse when he failed a f*cking drugs test, had to be suspended for a month, and STILL wouldn't drop the title to him.

I really like Ziggler. I hope this doesn't damage him too much. Smackdown was supposed to be the show for really pushing guys like Punk, Ziggler and Morrison. Now Batista is there, and it seems like Rey is holding some people down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Would Rey really get a say in who beats him for the title?

• Advertisement

Would Rey really get a say in who beats him for the title?

I'd say so. Due to the sales from his merchandise, I think he'd have a lot of say in his character and general pull backstage. If he says Dolph Ziggler isn't ready to take the title off him, I'd say creative would go with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It wasn't that Rey didn't want to drop it to Ziggler per se. The point is he was promised a long IC title reign aonly 4 weeks prior to that after he had signed his new contract. Then the bookers totally went back on their promise and wanted to switch it over. It was at that stage that Rey put his foot down on the back of the promise that was made to him. It wasn't pareticularly Ziggler that was the problem, he didn't want to drop it to anyone.

Its not as if hes ever had a problem putting people over in teh past, even when he was World champ he was pinned byu half the roster and never complained, evn though he probably had grounds to do so.

flahavaj wrote: »
    It wasn't that Rey didn't want to drop it to Ziggler per se. The point is he was promised a long IC title reign aonly 4 weeks prior to that after he had signed his new contract. Then the bookers totally went back on their promise and wanted to switch it over. It was at that stage that Rey put his foot down on the back of the promise that was made to him. It wasn't pareticularly Ziggler that was the problem, he didn't want to drop it to anyone.

Its not as if hes ever had a problem putting people over in teh past, even when he was World champ he was pinned byu half the roster and never complained, evn though he probably had grounds to do so.

Then what about when he got suspended and dropped it to Morrison? I mean, the most logical thing would have been to have Ziggler beat him instead of Morrison. Then maybe have him and Morrison fued for the title. Even if Morrison beat him a month later, at least Ziggler would have had the title and it would have kept his momentum going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Then what about when he got suspended and dropped it to Morrison? I mean, the most logical thing would have been to have Ziggler beat him instead of Morrison. Then maybe have him and Morrison fued for the title. Even if Morrison beat him a month later, at least Ziggler would have had the title and it would have kept his momentum going

That was the bookers' decision to decide who took the belt off him. Having just been done for violating wellness, I don't think Rey was ina position to call the shots on who he dropped the belt to in all fairness.

I'm not saying putting the belt on Morrison was the right decision, but I don't think blaming Rey is right either.

I'm just going by the posted article, but I'd agree that it probably isn't exactly how it seems there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He better change his theme tune ASAP:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I honestly never thought that he would amount to much,bad on the mic,average in the ring and a god awful name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know he had a stupid name but they should have at least given him the Intercontinental Title. Another talent wasted by a stale comapny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont like dolph much tbh never thought hed become much of a star i find his theme song the best thing about him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's true, the logical thing would've been for Rey to drop it to Ziggler on his way out the door. I guess WWE didn't want to give Ziggler the belt under those conditions....who knows why! I truly thought that WWE gave the belt to JoMo so later (like 1-2 months later) he could lose it back to Rey Mysterio, who would then re-commence his feud with Ziggler, and lose it to him properly.

It seems that that initial thing going wrong, WWE are now gun-shy with Ziggler...Hopefully he doesn't have Kennedy syndrome and WWE end up firing him.

I'm guessing WWE kept the belt on Morrison because 1) WWE are fickle, 2) WWE have the memory of a fish outside the main event and 3) They felt bad giving Morrison a transitional run because of how well he had been featured in the months preceeding it.

I don't count house shows as canon, so Ziggler would've lost 8 title matches I think. He's friggin' done for the time being.

Best bet is to lay low and hopefully keep a job until WWE finish pushing McIntyre and get another go....or just stagnate until the next Draft (and hopefully move to RAW). A move to ECW wouldn't be the worst thing to happen - at least he'll get featured and maybe get a solid PPV match if he's champion. Best thing he can do is just work with it, improve his in-ring skills and mic-skills until the capricious Vince McMahon gives him another go.

....Or, he could tag with someone...WWE are really short on Tag Teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

flahavaj wrote: »
    That was the bookers' decision to decide who took the belt off him. Having just been done for violating wellness, I don't think Rey was ina position to call the shots on who he dropped the belt to in all fairness.

I remember thinking, that when Rey dropped the belt to Morrison- it was a set-up because Ziggler was already booked and advertised to be competing for the gold at the PPV the following week. They wanted Ziggler if/when he won it, for it to be on PPV rather than television. And they possibly were sticking with that, but then dropped that idea once Morrison had the strap, realising that he would look like a complete bum. They dug a big whole there though and it was entirely pointless. I definitely sympathize with Rey in the whole scenario though of being ordered to dump a belt he was promised a memorable run with. It was bad business too- for me, Rey could have had the 1991 Bret Hart IC title run.

If they give up on him, they're complete muppets. He's hardly the complete package, but he has alot of potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think Dolph is another Guy suffering from Smackdowns change of focus. After the Draft(s) Smackdown was very exciting. Dolph was making waves, the Hart Dynasty were looking good, Punk was the star of the show.

Now its all about Taker, Batista and Jericho.

But thats understandable. Now its RAW with the younger guys making an move. It worked well on Smackdown so they are having a go on the A Show.

Smackdown is now about feuds with established names to try and keep big names on PPVs.

Ziggler will get another chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Would Ziggler work as a face?

SD lacking faces at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Would Ziggler work as a face?

SD lacking faces at the moment

With the current gimmick he'd come across as a dorky/bufoonish face, which isn't really what the audience want in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    With the current gimmick he'd come across as a dorky/bufoonish face, which isn't really what the audience want in their faces.

Arguably it worked for Christian....

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying most faces start as heel and turn face? So it's more 'the crowd get behind him' then really a face turn

I think he could try it, but it's entirely too soon. I don't think he endears himself to the crowd with his hair either...maybe! He should just wait it out rather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fitzy101

same news came out today about Swagger

please dont tell me they are gonna waste 2 GREAT talents

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Credit: F4WOnline.com

The latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE has "given up" on pushing Jack Swagger to superstardom as he has not quite panned out as officials had initially hoped.

When he first showed up on the WWE scene a little over a year ago, "The All-American American" was pegged as the future of the company due to his tremendous size. Nowadays, he's considered a comedy figure ranked slightly lower than Chavo Guerrero on the RAW pecking order. Furthermore, some feel he's in danger of becoming "this year's Chris Masters." .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE has "given up" on pushing Jack Swagger to superstardom as he has not quite panned out as officials had initially hoped.

When he first showed up on the WWE scene a little over a year ago, "The All-American American" was pegged as the future of the company due to his tremendous size. Nowadays, he's considered a comedy figure ranked slightly lower than Chavo Guerrero on the RAW pecking order. Furthermore, some feel he's in danger of becoming "this year's Chris Masters." .

Ouch, moving Swagger to Raw was done way too soon. He would've been much better if he stay'd in ECW.

Why are WWE just "giving up" on the likes of Swagger and Ziggler?? They have so much potential, it's unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

This is the impression they've given lately on TV for sure. It's so wasteful though, it boggles my mind how useless they are at developing newcomers, especially those with the talent of Swagger. Mouth-piece, inventive scenarios, fresh matches- there you go. Instead, he's been given the "athletic big-man" treatment. Ugh.

So Swagger is meant to get over how? Trading victories with Evan Bourne? His random feud with MVP which went nowhere? Give him a storyline random matches don’t work for anyone just ask Bourne and Jo Mo.

This didn't need to be reported, everyone can see how WWE has completely stalled the pushes of Swagger and Ziggler. They just have to keep a job until fickle WWE come back around to them.

Are WWE not right to test out guys, build them up a bit, bring them down to earth and see how they respond?

I mean how long did HBK or Bret Hart, even HHH take to rise to the top. They all had moments of progress followed by backward movement before eventually rising to the top of the pro wrestling ladder.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Are WWE not right to test out guys, build them up a bit, bring them down to earth and see how they respond?

Yep its worked out superbly for MVP. :eek:
    You can bury guys like Ziggler and Swagger but once you decide to build them up again, its going to be extra hard to get the audience to care for them. Swagger is to good to be given up on especially when inferior workers like Sheamus are getting serious pushes.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yep its worked out superbly for MVP. :eek:
    You can bury guys like Ziggler and Swagger but once you decide to build them up again, its going to be extra hard to get the audience to care for them. Swagger is to good to be given up on especially when inferior workers like Sheamus are getting serious pushes.

None of the names you mentioned were buried. I think you are thinking of Carltio who responded terribly to any challenges put on front of him. Can you imagine the disaster WWE would of had on their hands if they pushed Carlito without testing his metal first.

It takes years for most guys to build a profile that allows them become major players and fans to begin to accept it. Look at how long it took many fans to start accepting Punk despite the years he had outside WWE. If it wasn't for Jeff Hardy's popularity even less people would care about Punk. Now I think of It Jeff is proof of how the cream can rise even if they mess up, but they have to keep trying to prove themselves, don't give up like carlito. Jeff proved himself a star even when booked in a way that held him back. Its up to Swagger and Ziggler to prove themselves too.

We both want to see guys getting a fair crack at being a star. Dolph and Swagger will get a chance once they prove they are ready.

If I was Vince I would want to see them proving they are in it for the long run before investing serious time in them. Otherwise you get a disaster case who can't deal with the lifestyle or a guy who ****s off like Brock.

Advertisement