Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hippy communes in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

In West Cork. There is a a mountain there where they are congregated but I forget the name. It's near Dunmanway though.

Appearently a fella has a house in the mountain that runs completely off nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

As soon as I saw this thread the first thing I thought of was the Scariff/Tuamgraney area. Also a lot of Leitrim especially Drumshanbo/Dromahair. Not communes really but areas with a very 'hippyish' persuasion. During the 80s a lot of German and English bought houses in cheap areas like East Clare, Donegal, Leitrim. I think Ireland (at the time) would have been an easier place to live under the radar and pursue a more alternative lifestyle than would have been possible in Germany or the UK.

Not criticising by the way. Most of these communities are thriving because of the influence of the German and English. I think the houses and the way some of them live are fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

In West Cork. There is a a mountain there where they are congregated but I forget the name. It's near Dunmanway though.

Appearently a fella has a house in the mountain that runs completely off nature.

Cool Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

EGAR wrote: »
    Not just Scarriff, there are plenty around Flagmount, Loughattorick, Feakle etc. And quite a few in the Sliabh Anore's as well.

I don't doubt it, its just been so long to remember the names of these places. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Cool Mountain.

some serious sessions down there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Galway is overrun with them

Where in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Galway.

No communes as such, more the lifestyle of people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

there scattered throughout the west/northwest. my cousin is a bit of a hippy , all he does is talk sh1te about his weird dreams and has no interest in doing anything for himself , and he always goes on bullsh1t fas courses that lead to nothing like fingerpainting or how to make things from snail shells module 2 , or how to think about things you should have thought about but you werent thinking. he could do a forklift course or an ecdl, but no , he'd be afraid he might get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bloody Hippies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Vicxas wrote: »
    Bloody Hippies!

Great contribution. Take you long to think that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hippies are just smellier travelers who dont know theyre uneducated retards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'm from Kildare too, whereabouts you from? :)

There's 2 hippy like communes in Kildare, one in Kilcullen and one about 3 or 4 miles from Kilcullen.

Sindri wrote: »

I'm from Kildare too, whereabouts you from? :)

There's 2 hippy like communes in Kildare, one in Kilcullen and one about 3 or 4 miles from Kilcullen.

Meet you with a bulldozer at midnight ? Well sort this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Meet you with a bulldozer at midnight ? Well sort this out

Charles Manson was a hippy, be careful out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

not the ones i know...highly educated, well travelled, sophisticated and friendly

but smelly

philstar wrote: »

not the ones i know...highly educated, well travelled, sophisticated and friendly
    [SIZE="1"]
    but smelly[/SIZE]

Thos are hipsters , sort of like hippies but with arts degrees and daddys money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Charles Manson was a hippy, be careful out there.

No fear. Eric is still on winter curfew and has to be in by 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

used to be a few scattered in remote places in the mountains of NW donegal.
    I always found it funny that a lot of them lived side-by-side with ra bigwigs and safehouses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Occupy Galway??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

There is an organic collage in Dromcolligher Co Limerick that draws a fair amount of Hippies and Green Party types (D4 Hippies). I picked up one that was hitchhiking once and she proceeded to give me a lecture about the evils of car air fresheners. I don't mind genuine hippies, the D4 eco warrior/green party/art student types get on my nerves, they tend to be self righteous **** of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hippies are sound wish we had more in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Yup, knew a lot of them....later came the Silver Sisters who offered a back to your childhood schooling experience, My mum dressed up in a pinafore and Mop Cap to make a documentary about them. Her and six or seven other bored females!! I was in the UK at the time....they were looper's but I would love to see that documentary again, BBC I think....Me Ma had a wicked sense of humour (and a fair few sherries:)) and really got into the whole thing skipping and reciting her times tables....one of my brother's swore he would disown her, but she went ahead and did it anyway!!! He caved;) God I miss her:(:)

Would really love to see that documentary. Was it BBC NI? Seems like the Silver Sisters were into gaming too, after a fashion.

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/045/bschool.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Pupito wrote: »
    Would really love to see that documentary. Was it BBC NI? Seems like the Silver Sisters were into gaming too, after a fashion.

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/045/bschool.htm

Aaaw Pupito.....that makes them sound as if there was something a bit suspect going on:eek::eek: If there was it was amongst themselves, the BBC crew arrived and they had no 'students' so the crew went into Burtonport and asked a few of the locals would they do it for the Craic, a good meal and a few scoops.............it was the '80's everyone was broke and my Mother was wickedly humorous and so got together about 8 or so women and girls to do it...........we were well used to eccentric blow-in's up in Donegal.......there were more looper's in Donegal than you could shake a stick at in the '80's!!!!

I think it was BBC....these lads got a lot of attention from alll over the World!! But I watched the doc and I was in the UK at the time so, BBC would be a good start!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Aaaw Pupito.....that makes them sound as if there was something a bit suspect going on:eek::eek: If there was it was amongst themselves, the BBC crew arrived and they had no 'students' so the crew went into Burtonport and asked a few of the locals would they do it for the Craic, a good meal and a few scoops.............it was the '80's everyone was broke and my Mother was wickedly humorous and so got together about 8 or so women and girls to do it...........we were well used to eccentric blow-in's up in Donegal.......there were more looper's in Donegal than you could shake a stick at in the '80's!!!!

Ha! Now I want to see it ven more, given that locals were involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Should you find it I'd be obliged for a link.......lost my Mum 2 1/2 years ago and I miss her.....she very funny and game for a laugh. I remember one year in Lanzarote herself and her sister entered Miss Laguna Beach as "Twisted Sister's"....a feckin' scream.

I remember she told me that after a day or so of filming, the two Ryan's Daughter extra's in charge forgot they, the 'students', were volunteers, helping them out and started to order them about:eek::eek: Got very bossy in fact!! They were educated with a few home truths 'Donegal Style' in no uncertain fashion. As I recall, you can see a bit of tension building in the doc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

There was a place down in Inisglas in Wexford that a cousin of mine lived for a while that had people living what some would call alternative lifestyles.

My cousin is a visual artist and there were other artists, practicioners of complementary medicine, organic farmers and musicians all living there in a big old farmhouse. Mostly English. One of John Bowman's kids lived there for a while I believe. It's no longer a 'commune' now though.

BTW-the term hippy commune is a bit outdated, the term mostly used now is 'Intentional Communities'. :)

I have to laugh at anyone saying these poeple are uneducated and smelly.

The ones I've met-and I've met quite a few because most of my friends would be working in the arts, including myself ...are more educated and intelligent than most people I know living conventional lives. Most have university degrees (one English guy I know has a history degree from Oxford), PhD's...
    They mostly are the sons and daughters of the middle classes. As for smelly, can't say I've noticed :D

If I ever have the means I'd love to set one up actually. And I will have a farmhouse some day so it's a possibility. It'd be a dream to have a place like Christiania in Copenhagen here, though you'd need a lot of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

biko wrote: »
    There is an eco village in Cloughjordan.
    http://thevillage.ie/

I wouldn't mind building an earthship there.

Earthship! super funk................oh yeah!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

About 15 years ago or so, myself and a mate used to go on the duck from school. We used to bump into this old hippy guy who walked his dog from time to time. The guy was really in tune with nature - He showed us all these plants you could eat, and nuts underground by pulling up roots of certain plants. He knew all the bird nesting areas and was just generally an all-around sound fella. We used to bum tobacco off him, cos he always smoked rollies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

housetypeb wrote: »
    There is one on Coole mountain near Dunmanway in west cork, that's probably the one your uncle lives on.

That's one class place, I drove in there years ago but didn't stay long.
    Their accommodation didn't look too bad though but the road is real crap.
    I knew a hippie back in the 80's called Shep he used to travel to market's and such selling leather belt's he had made.Before that he was squatting in an old abandoned cottage with an orchard that he maintained and used to sell or trade the apple's with the local's,this went on for year's and he was well liked by the local people.Then one faithful night he arrived into the village pub and proceeded to hand out magic mushroom's to all the ould fella's there and got everyone wasted.The next day he was given two day's to pack up and leave or the gardai would be informed,end of shep.This happened somewhere near cappoquin.
    I pissed my pant's when he told me this,best of all he felt hard done by.

Shep, Yea I heard of him when I was younger I'm sure he had friends in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Hippies are cool. Anyone know if there are some communes still active in Cork?

I wouldn't mind spending a few weeks or months in one just for divilment. VW Campers, weed, camp fires, colourful thingimebobs all around, wooden houses, love all of that stuff.

Dieing to have a go

Advertisement