Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats fleeing a sinking ship

• 31-03-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm beginning to get a bit pissed off with all this talk of immigration. All these people are in effect abandoning they're communities, families and country, they're leaving this state to the corrupt money hungry "fat cats" that they're complaining about so much. Whatever happened to the fighting Irish, no ones prepared to make a stand for this country instead they flee with their tails between their legs.

Is it really the government that is to blame when we do nothing to stand in their way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ScumLord wrote: »
    All these people are in effect abandoning they're communities, families and country,

I'm not losing sleep over anyone leaving. I don't care. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

But what can we, the people, do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If somebody can't get a job here you can't really blame them for heading off somewhere else.
    Although, I kind of see where you;re coming from. I get annoyed by those who get their free education here (I know there are reg fees etc before anyone points it out) and then shag off and complain about how sh*t Ireland is and how great it is in Canada, Australia, Baghdad...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

I'm beginning to get a bit pissed off with all this talk of immigration. All these people are in effect abandoning they're communities, families and country, they're leaving this state to the corrupt money hungry "fat cats" that they're complaining about so much. Whatever happened to the fighting Irish, no ones prepared to make a stand for this country instead they flee with their tails between their legs.

Is it really the government that is to blame when we do nothing to stand in their way?

Possibly thay are EMIGRATING to avoid being called immigrants !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe they would prefer to move to a country where they can get work. have a better health service and dignity.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I blame after hours, when people complain here, someone responds saying "if you don't like living here then leave"......I think these people have been following the advice

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Possibly thay are EMIGRATING to avoid being called immigrants !!!!!!

Emmigrating even? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Hugo Curved Fibula

If I chose to go to another country to find work, I am considered a traitor? I am abandoning my country, community, family and friends? Fcuk that, I am not sitting on my hole waiting for work to land on my lap, nore am I going to sit around this kip to wait for the government to act on the job crisis and do their fcuking jobs. I'm out of here as soon as I possibly can. I just hope my plans work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Well if they stay here and draw the dole its just gonna cost the country even more so best of luck to all of them and I hope they are afforded the opportunity to come back and contribute to society in better times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Collie D wrote: »
    Emmigrating even? ;)

That's the trouble at the moment, people don't know whether they're coming or going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Emmigrating even? ;)
    no, im pretty sure its emigrating

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This has been happening for 200 odd years now, the last couple of decades bucked the trend for a little while but now we're back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Crap thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

This has been happening for 200 odd years now, the last couple of decades bucked the trend for a little while but now we're back to normal.

our main export

Max Power1 wrote: »
    no, im pretty sure its emigrating

:D

Is it? Crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If I chose to go to another country to find work, I am considered a traitor? I am abandoning my country, community, family and friends? Fcuk that, I am not sitting on my hole waiting for work to land on my lap, nore am I going to sit around this kip to wait for the government to act on the job crisis and do their fcuking jobs. I'm out of here as soon as I possibly can. I just hope my plans work out.
    But why wait for the government, as far as I can see there's no talk of grass roots community action. There's no effort by the people being screwed do do anything. It's one thing to say you tried your best to save this country and your giving up but it's another to bolt for the door as soon as the going gets though.

This is a peoples republic, the government can't fix this country only the people can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Am currently living abroad in a more stable economy. I hate what's happening in Ireland the same as the next person - but that doesn't mean I have to stay there. I got a decent job here and we have just bought our first house. Do I miss home and wish Ireland was in better times? Yes. Do I feel guilty for leaving? Absolutely not! I worked 8 years before I left and never claimed a penny off the welfare. I don't owe the country anything. Patriotism is not going to put food on my table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

If people want to emigrate more power to them. I do get annoyed by people giving out about it a tad though but if people are confidant to move to a new country and find new friends, make a bit of money, see the world etc, they should! It's not like the 50's where if somebody moved, you may never see them again, we live in a modern world where travel is so fast and easy, some people would be insane not to do it if they wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I have no problem with people who want to emigrate for economic reasons, or who are adventurous enough to want to travel and explore somewhere new.
    But what annoys me is when they come back for the christmas hols, and then start acting all condescending towards people who have decided to stay in this parochial, corrupt country.

If they didn't stay and put their energy and talents towards doing something to change our little ancien régime, then I don't want to hear the spiel about how much more broadminded and diverse New York or wherever else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

When you talk about staying and fighting what exactly do you expect people to do?
    I mean that's all good and well and sounds great but if you try and start a protest movement nobody will join it. If you try and strike, people from a different sector will just give out about you.
    You can't start a business because the banks won't give you a loan and you can't afford to go back and retrain because you won't be eligible to get any money if you've done a course before.

So that just leaves you to sit around on the dole hoping that things will get better OR you could actually take control of your life and go somewhere where your skills are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Definetly we should stay. What that there may be better opportunities in other countries right now is not important. We must stay and fight to recreate the false dreambubble economy that we enjoyed for the last 15 years. We stayed during the famine. We stayed during the dark days of the 70's and 80's. We should stay now.

Christ I wish we had qualified for the World Cup just to shut all this crap up for 6 months. This country won't help you in your darkest hour. You in return owe it nothing.

It's actually mad how there are people giving out about those fleeing the recession.
    Because it used to be the opposite, most of my Dads friends went off to England and the States because there was nothing here for them. Now most of them are back and love to give the likes of my Dad stick for never having the balls to leave and that it was because of men like them, who actually left for work and sent money home that the country stayed afloat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Am currently living abroad in a more stable economy. I hate what's happening in Ireland the same as the next person - but that doesn't mean I have to stay there.
    I love travelling and appreciate the value of experiencing other cultures, when did you leave?
    When you talk about staying a fighting what exactly do you expect people to do?
    I mean that's all good and well and sounds great but if you try and start a protest movement nobody will join it. If you try and strike, people from a different sector will just give out about you.
    Strikes and protest marches are about as effective as trying to blow out a candle with a fart. They focus on the past, communities that have been destroyed by this economic downturn should be assembling and working together. Our communities are disjointed they don't work together to solve problems and can be walked over because they're dealt with as individuals that just happen to live near each other.

It's actually mad how there are people giving out about those fleeing the recession.
    Because it used to be the opposite, most of my Dads friends went off to England and the States because there was nothing here for them. Now most of them are back and love to give the likes of my Dad stick for never having the balls to leave and that it was because of men like them, who actually left for work and sent money home that the country stayed afloat at all.

Now that is complete bollocks. As I said if people can't get work here they cannot be criticised for looking elsewhere but don;t bring that attitude back home with you.

Now that is complete bollocks. As I said if people can't get work here they cannot be criticised for looking elsewhere but don;t bring that attitude back home with you.

Oh I know its bollox but thats the attitude they had then and now. No one begrudged them for leaving but I suppose we hadnt known better times.
    Now that peole have known better times they want them back which is why they may be angry (jealous) of the people who are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

... communities that have been destroyed by this economic downturn should be assembling and working together. Our communities are disjointed they don't work together to solve problems and can be walked over because they're dealt with as individuals that just happen to live near each other.

What exactly should the communities be doing?

What is their bargaining position against being walked all over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Hugo Curved Fibula

Well if they stay here and draw the dole its just gonna cost the country even more so best of luck to all of them and I hope they are afforded the opportunity to come back and contribute to society in better times.

So you believe that people should come home after their travels to pay their "dues"? Why? What if they simply hate this country, hate the government, policies, weather or anything else. Why can't they go away and never come back?
    But why wait for the government, as far as I can see there's no talk of grass roots community action. There's no effort by the people being screwed do do anything. It's one thing to say you tried your best to save this country and your giving up but it's another to bolt for the door as soon as the going gets though.

This is a peoples republic, the government can't fix this country only the people can.

What exactly is it we should do? March day in day out? Rubbish. Why wait for the government? They are the ones with the power to change, not the people. So that idea you have is completely false. It's a load of shít that this idea of the "peoples republic" belongs to the people. It doesn't it belongs to the arseholes sitting in the Dail on there extremely high wage. It's their republic, it's their country and they control everything. We as a people, cannot do shít, we are not even allowed to re-ellect a new governing body, because the current government will not allow it. I'm not getting 100K a year to run this country. Remember that.

I want to hear your ideas on how people on €196 a week can save the country? How is it our fault? What effort should the people be making? I am looking for jobs every day, trying my best to get some fcuking work. I even tried to go back to college, the government wouldn't allow me because I already have a degree, yet the course in question had very few applicants.

The whole country is not going to be up in arms. The rate of poverty has not gone up that much that a revolution is in order. We are, on average, are still very well off. I have fcuk all disposable income, but I have a nice room, I eat good food, I have a decent car and I can go to the cinema or pub every so often. When things actually get bad, something might happen, but things are not bad at all in comparison to some parts of the world.

You know, every so often the weaker minority groups get bashed for another persons mistake, and the government are laughing at ye for this. If it's not the public sector, it's single mothers, or those on social welfare, bank cashiers, or those looking to emmigrate. Why don't you start blaming the people who put us in this mess instead of attacking those looking for a way out of it?

You say emmigrating is giving up? You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about. Take into account the ammount of effort it takes to move away on your own just so you can have a job and not have the state or your family supporting you. That's growing a pair of balls, that's manning the fcuk up and that's actually doing something.

So you believe that people should come home after their travels to pay their "dues"? Why? What if they simply hate this country, hate the government, policies, weather or anything else. Why can't they go away and never come back?

No, absolutely not! You picked me up wrong and I could have made myself clearer. I just meant that it would be nice if they could come back to a better climate someday if they actually wanted to.
    But why should someone feel obliged, they shouldn't imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What exactly is it we should do? March day in day out? Rubbish. Why wait for the government? They are the ones with the power to change, not the people. So that idea you have is completely false. It's a load of shít that this idea of the "peoples republic" belongs to the people. It doesn't it belongs to the arseholes sitting in the Dail on there extremely high wage. It's their republic, it's their country and they control everything. We as a people, cannot do shít, we are not even allowed to re-ellect a new governing body, because the current government will not allow it. I'm not getting 100K a year to run this country. Remember that.

I want to hear your ideas on how people on €196 a week can save the country? How is it our fault? What effort should the people be making? I am looking for jobs every day, trying my best to get some fcuking work. I even tried to go back to college, the government wouldn't allow me because I already have a degree, yet the course in question had very few applicants.

The whole country is not going to be up in arms. The rate of poverty has not gone up that much that a revolution is in order. We are, on average, are still very well off. I have fcuk all disposable income, but I have a nice room, I eat good food, I have a decent car and I can go to the cinema or pub every so often. When things actually get bad, something might happen, but things are not bad at all in comparison to some parts of the world.

You know, every so often the weaker minority groups get bashed for another persons mistake, and the government are laughing at ye for this. If it's not the public sector, it's single mothers, or those on social welfare, bank cashiers, or those looking to emmigrate. Why don't you start blaming the people who put us in this mess instead of attacking those looking for a way out of it?

You say emmigrating is giving up? You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about. Take into account the ammount of effort it takes to move away on your own just so you can have a job and not have the state or your family supporting you. That's growing a pair of balls, that's manning the fcuk up and that's actually doing something.

I wish I could thank you twice.

• Advertisement

• ScumLord wrote: »

you know if the weather wasnt so sh*tty it might be worth fighting for. Let those with jobs i.e a real stake in the country with something to lose fight for it

Advertisement