Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spot spraying advice - creeping thistles and docks,

• 21-03-2012 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

You are talking about using a knapsack? Depending on how extensive the problem is would Roundup/Glyposate be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Only a small number of docks to be honest, but I want rid of them before they start spreading too much. I was never gone on glypho, would rather something weed specific. The creeping thistle, on the other hand, if they come back as bad s they were last year there will be a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Something like pastor would probably be a catch all for both, putting it on in a spot situation you could really saturate the thistles, they are normally hard to wet properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padowado

I found Nettle ban or bandock very good

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

padowado wrote: »
    I found Nettle ban or bandock very good

Me too. By far the best either knapsack or sprayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

I would go with roundup/glyphosate with knapsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

D50 will kill thistles docks are another issue Grazon, bandock or if you are in a tillage area get some Allay from a tillage store you can use it around a yard it is off label for use on docks in grassland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

johngalway wrote: »
    Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John :)
    Id be leaning towards Pastor or Thistlex. Usually i apply pastor but the year before last i couldnt get it , so i was recommended Forefront . Super stuff altogether but cant seem to source any out my way .
    Careful of spraydrift though , its lethal !!!!!

Advertisement