Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancy an overland trip to Morocco?

• 02-03-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

My trip/driving partner has had to pull out due to unforeseen circumstances and I now have a passenger seat available for a trip to Morocco leaving 29th March. Duration will be three to four weeks.

There are five vehicles going, four Landcruisers and one Patrol. We will be covering some of Chris Scott's routes in his book Morocco Overland. We will camp mostly but will occasionally stay in an auberge.

We will visit places like Fez, Cirque du Jaffar, Gorge du Dadès, Erg Chebbi.

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you more information, no strings attached.

You'll be travelling in and driving this....

hannibal_at_ccc2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ill just say this, anyone who is even the slightest bit interested in doing this, DO IT. I overlanded to mongolia last summer and it was the best experience ever. You see and experience the genuine country and people. Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm drooling at the thought, alas it won't be me.
    Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

Just the thought of that trip is getting me a little more excited than any man should about spending a month in an enclosed space with another bloke but alas it shant be me damned work and responsibilty.:(

p.s. was the jeep in for a check up today saw one very like it in a west wicklow mechanics yard this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

broro22 wrote: »
    p.s. was the jeep in for a check up today saw one very like it in a west wicklow mechanics yard this morning

Yep, it sure was. Replacing the power steering pump. It had a slight leak that would probably have developed into a major leak on the trip if not tackled now.

Here's some of the preparation I've already done......

http://www.lcoc.ie/showthread.php?460-KZJ78-Getting-it-ready-for-Morocco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Yep, it sure was. Replacing the power steering pump. It had a slight leak that would probably have developed into a major leak on the trip if not tackled now.

Here's some of the preparation I've already done......

http://www.lcoc.ie/showthread.php?460-KZJ78-Getting-it-ready-for-Morocco

Congrats on the wagon, she looks awesome. Good luck on the trip.

• Advertisement

Here's what you missed.....;)

http://www.lcoc.ie/album.php?albumid=51

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

can the pics be seen anywhere without having to register? I need another forum membership like a hole in the head :)

JohnBoy wrote: »
    can the pics be seen anywhere without having to register? I need another forum membership like a hole in the head :)

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes you can see them here....

http://albums.garfieldus.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Awsome stuff West, very envious :P

How the help is the camera so steady in the Gorges Du Jaffar ? The jeep is all over the place, cant be by hand can it ? Surly you couldn't keep it that steady ?
    I know I couldn't anyway !

How did you get on with your new strainger/passenger ? 3/4 weeks can be a long time with someone you don't know

stackerman wrote: »
    Awsome stuff West, very envious :P

How the help is the camera so steady in the Gorges Du Jaffar ? The jeep is all over the place, cant be by hand can it ? Surly you couldn't keep it that steady ?
    I know I couldn't anyway !

I was up front in the first cruiser. Adam was using a Finepix S7000 and yes, he was holding it in his hand.....

8283d1336642452t-s7000_l.jpeg

We had to turn back on this section. The weather had been so wet over the previous few weeks that it made the going later on too slippy. We got to some muddy inclines and we all got up the first but the 80 (petrol 4.5L) with plenty of power and lockers front and back was the only one to get up the second. It was getting late, we were losing light, it had started to snow so we made the decision to backtrack. We were invited to stay in the village of Jaffar - flat roofed abodes, no electricity, no toilets, no nothing. I would have happily stayed but one didn't want to so we continued on. We came back through the gorge in the dark!!
    stackerman wrote: »
    How did you get on with your new strainger/passenger ? 3/4 weeks can be a long time with someone you don't know

I didn't get any takers!!

Finding our way around the Cirque du Jaffar.

We eventually had to turn back on this. Shepherds warned us that the track was washed out.

Playing in the dunes at Erg Chebbi....

dscf2780.jpg

The cold and wet weather extended weeks longer than normal so these locals were bringing home fuel to keep warm. They are bushes that grow all over the sides of the mountains there....

dscf2878.jpg

This was the highest we got 2914 meters......

dscf2849.jpg

This fuel station owner was delighted to see us :):)

dscf2789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Looks like you had a brilliant time. I would have loved to meet up there but I think we would travel a bit too slow for guys ;-) unimogs are not known for their speed!

Merv.

Www.moglander.com

Hi Merv,

Yep, we were to meet up but AN backed out on me at the last minute.

Advertisement