Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

mono_mac wrote: »
    but how do i root a galaxy s2 with official ics--and flash a rom--tried google--can anybody help :(

If you just want to root do this. Once rooted you can install a custom ROM. You can also install custom ROM's without having root, they are installed with odin but you will get a custom count and the yellow triangle will appear. But you can easily remove them as well.

That site I have linked to above is the best by far for finding custom ROM's. I would recommend Litening Rom or the one I use at the min Resurection Remix ics.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

If you just want to root do this. Once rooted you can install a custom ROM. You can also install custom ROM's without having root, they are installed with odin but you will get a custom count and the yellow triangle will appear. But you can easily remove them as well.

That site I have linked to above is the best by far for finding custom ROM's. I would recommend Litening Rom or the one I use at the min Resurection Remix ics.

thanks i used first method and il try do rom now thanks ya legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

downloading litening rom --do i just follow instructions and use odin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

mono_mac wrote: »
    downloading litening rom --do i just follow instructions and use odin ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lately, my sgs 2 has been getting hot when using it, hot to the point where it's difficult to hold.

Anyone else suffer this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Lately, my sgs 2 has been getting hot when using it, hot to the point where it's difficult to hold.

Anyone else suffer this?

Is it around the camera? I had this problem for little while, seemed to be one particular app that I had installed keeping the processor running at crazy load and making it hot. Uninstalled it, and been fine since :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone get the s-voice apk (from gs3) to work with gs2?
    xda have a few links but all downloads won't install. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

god's toy wrote: »

It's been blocked from use on any phone other than an S3 by vlingo at the server side, so even if you install it, you won't get it to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

god's toy wrote: »

it's something I'm looking to do when I finish work.

Apparently you need a rooted phone as it needs to get access to system/data. Also you need to remove Vlingo from your phone (this is just from what I was reading on XDA forum)
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's been blocked from use on any phone other than an S3 by vlingo at the server side, so even if you install it, you won't get it to work!!

There seems to be a workaround though I have no idea how it affects other areas of your phone but it seems to work for some people
    Change the model number in the build.prop which you find in the /system folder from I9100 to I9300. You have you use a text editor to do so. Save the change you make, and restart the phone.

I have done this following advice from the S III thread. It works perfectly. I have not experienced any problem so far. And if one should experience any problem, it is just a case of re-editing the build.prop back to I9100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is it around the camera? I had this problem for little while, seemed to be one particular app that I had installed keeping the processor running at crazy load and making it hot. Uninstalled it, and been fine since :D[/Quote]

Starts at the camera, goes all over the battery, and screen.

Usually Stumbleupon. Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Change the model number in the build.prop which you find in the /system folder from I9100 to I9300. You have you use a text editor to do so. Save the change you make, and restart the phone.

I have done this following advice from the S III thread. It works perfectly. I have not experienced any problem so far. And if one should experience any problem, it is just a case of re-editing the build.prop back to I9100.
    Warning: I put my phone into a boot loop editing build.prop, I had to reflash! Editing the file back to original didn't work for me.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Warning: I put my phone into a boot loop editing build.prop, I had to reflash! Editing the file back to original didn't work for me.

Ah sorry to hear that... as I said I had no idea how it affects your phone.
    Just going by some posts on XDA forum who had success doing it this way.

Still going to try it myself when I get home assuming samsung don't block this method as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There seems to be a workaround though I have no idea how it affects other areas of your phone but it seems to work for some people

Sorry, I'd read an article just before seeing your post that it had been blocked for all other phones other than S3. I should have known there'd be a workaround for it though! :)

Sh1t!!! Did you at least have a recent backup to go back to?

BTW BopNiblets you do know you could have escaped that Boot-loop without reflash:
    When you edited your build.prop file it changed the file permissions from the default so it's stuck in a boot-loop. To fix it, you need to install the Android SDK including the "platform-tools" which will give you a handy command-line app called adb.exe. Once you have that you can connect your phone to your pc via a usb cable and send instructions to it.

To reset the file permissions to default you need to issue this from your command prompt/shell/terminal/whatever:-

adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop

or you could just boot into recovery and select "fix permissions" :)

Also this has been updated again to full port of s-voice from SGIII
    INSTRUCTIONS :
    [1]Flash .zip from recovery
    [2]Download .apk and rename it to "voicetalk.apk" and replace in system/app from here
    [3]Voice recogniser to "Samsung powered by vlingo"
    [4]Text to Speech output to "samsung TTS"

DOWNLOAD : Full port : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26372726&postcount=49

.apk to solve network error(Read instructions!) : http://www.mediafire.com/?fp04n29phdzeram

Credits : darkmantra for full port
    pHaez : To solve network error

Downloading the full port at moment so hopefully will get to test it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Telchak wrote: »
    Is it around the camera? I had this problem for little while, seemed to be one particular app that I had installed keeping the processor running at crazy load and making it hot. Uninstalled it, and been fine since :D

I get that too and I have to remove the battery to recover. I assume some app is hogging CPU and warning the phone but I've no idea which one they reset when I remove the battery. Any idea of guilty apps?

ICS 4.0.3 via Kies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

kc56 wrote: »
    I get that too and I have to remove the battery to recover. I assume some app is hogging CPU and warning the phone but I've no idea which one they reset when I remove the battery. Any idea of guilty apps?

ICS 4.0.3 via Kies

Maybe download Better Battery Stats and see if that tells you what app is causing wakelocks/hogging CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Im wondering if someone can help me out with my Galaxy S II.
    A few months ago I replaced the stock (Meteor) ROM with a few different custom mods. At the moment I am using Neatrom ICS 4.03 . It's all working fine but I would like to be able to revert it back to the stock rom seeing as ICS is now available on Meteor and to have it working on Kies if I ever need to sell it.

I came across some Links to the meteor stock ROM and Kernel on XDA but all links are broken. So my question is does anyone know where I could get these files? Am I right in thinking it should be straight forward to downgrade using Odin, then upgrade to the new stock ICS?

Any help would be appreciated.

I really should have backed up the original stock ROM shouldnt I? :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A few months ago I replaced the stock (Meteor) ROM with a few different custom mods. At the moment I am using Neatrom ICS 4.03 . It's all working fine but I would like to be able to revert it back to the stock rom seeing as ICS is now available on Meteor and to have it working on Kies if I ever need to sell it.

I came across some Links to the meteor stock ROM and Kernel on XDA but all links are broken. So my question is does anyone know where I could get these files? Am I right in thinking it should be straight forward to downgrade using Odin, then upgrade to the new stock ICS?

Go to samfirmware. Sorry I cannot add a link I am on my phone. And flash with Odin and it will go back stock and unrooted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Go to samfirmware. Sorry I cannot add a link I am on my phone. And flash with Odin and it will go back stock and unrooted.

Yeah, I was looking around the files on that site, but I wasn't sure what to download. Nothing there matched the original meteor stock software. I was afraid that I might end up with a brick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yeah, I was looking around the files on that site, but I wasn't sure what to download. Nothing there matched the original meteor stock software. I was afraid that I might end up with a brick :)

Darky ICS is going to be better that stock or network ICS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Go to this on sammobile
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#regiona

Download this:
    I9100XWLP7 4.0.3 2012 April I9100METLP4 Ireland (Meteor)

OR
    here's the download link I have taken from sammobile
    http://www.hotfile.com/dl/154150952/81e8a54/I9100XWLP7_I9100METLP4_MET.zip.html

Flash it using Odin and you are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Cossax wrote: »
    Maybe download Better Battery Stats and see if that tells you what app is causing wakelocks/hogging CPU.

I read on other fora that there appears to be a bug in the ICS WiFi system that causes a reboot followed by a high power mode when switching WiFi on. Hard to detect as the first symptom is an unresponsive phone requiring that the battery is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BTW BopNiblets you do know you could have escaped that Boot-loop without reflash:
    When you edited your build.prop file it changed the file permissions from the default so it's stuck in a boot-loop. To fix it, you need to install the Android SDK including the "platform-tools" which will give you a handy command-line app called adb.exe. Once you have that you can connect your phone to your pc via a usb cable and send instructions to it.

To reset the file permissions to default you need to issue this from your command prompt/shell/terminal/whatever:-

adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop

or you could just boot into recovery and select "fix permissions"
    Too late now! :p
    I had ADB installed and I was copying the file over but I wasn't changing the permissions, I think I did try that Fix Permissions thing though, good find for next time.

Too late now! :p
    I had ADB installed and I was copying the file over but I wasn't changing the permissions, I think I did try that Fix Permissions thing though, good find for next time.

Yeah thought I may have been a bit late with that :)

I eventually did get it working on stock ICS Samsung rom as I just wanted to see what it was like.

Seems very much like standard Voice Talk application that's already on my samsung with a little more interaction (i like the alarm and calendar function) though essentially it's just an updated V-Lingo.

Going to try out the other apps from the SIII that are now working later.
    You can get them from here or the updated TouchWiz UX Launcher from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

kc56 wrote: »
    I read on other fora that there appears to be a bug in the ICS WiFi system that causes a reboot followed by a high power mode when switching WiFi on. Hard to detect as the first symptom is an unresponsive phone requiring that the battery is removed.

Hmm, something like that happened me twice in the last few months, brought my phone downstairs (weak signal upstairs) and it froze (presumably after switching to wifi) and lost a whack of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am having an issue with the volume for the SGS2 is too low. Up to now I had been fixing this manually by going into the service mode and updating the audio settings myself to 100. However, now, probably since the last software update (ICS), the audio menu [5] is blocked. Using key input doesn't help either.

Anyone know how to access this menu? The in-call volume is frustratingly low!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Can I root a phone that's network locked? Or do I have to unlock first then root?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Can I root a phone that's network locked? Or do I have to unlock first then root?

Either or.
    Or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

You can unlock your phone (after root) using this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.sgs2simunlockcode&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5zZ3Myc2ltdW5sb2NrY29kZSJd

Never used it as I never had to unlock so don't know how effective it is. It does have some good ratings though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I'm having a few problems with mine so sending it back to get it fixed under warranty, so obviously it will get factory reset. If I back everything up in Kies and just plug in the phone when it returns will everything be exactly as I left it eg upgrade to ICS, all contacts, apps etc?

Cheers

Advertisement