Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

From what I saw of the newport interchange the last time I passed in mid Feb, I think this will take the most of the year to finish.This scheme could be the last to finish anywhere the rate it is going, the nenagh bypas should have been finished long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

http://n7nenaghtolimerick.com/index.html

I was the first to find this :P
    Shows updates and lnterchange layout. The Newport interchange is so "imaginative". I could design a far better layout. It's actually a shambles when the Main entrance to Limerick is via a roundabout of the interchange. Since traffic is very busy on the old N7, there should of been better free flowing slip.

Free flowing slips should of been added from M7 to Southbound ramp to Newport. And N7 to R445 NB. This means traffic does not need to negoiate at the roundabout. Where are they not putting these in. There is land, and doesn't cost much extra if done now. ffs.

Pillars and reinforced concrete is going in now at the Moneygall interchange flyover, just seen it today passing. The earthworks are advancing much rapidly than it has been too.

I'll try get pictures soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mysterious wrote: »
    Free flowing slips should of been added from M7 to Southbound ramp to Newport. And N7 to R445 NB. This means traffic does not need to negoiate at the roundabout. Where are they not putting these in. There is land, and doesn't cost much extra if done now. ffs.
    Because unfortunately for you the NRA aren't interested in your fantasy road layout that you drew with MS Paint.

There is NOT land available for what you're describing. Even the easy freeflow, the left-turn R445-M7 NB, has the link road in the way. Look at the diagram again. Also, the citybound freeflow would be pointless - you'd be freeflowing to a road that's single carriageway the whole way into the city centre. It's not generally a good idea to dump fast moving traffic onto a local road network that can't cope with it, and the R445 will never be widened due to the amount of abutting buildings. This all should have been clear.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Because unfortunately for you the NRA aren't interested in your fantasy road layout that you drew with MS Paint.

But I know my ideas, are taken on boards in some cases, and have been in the last few years.

It was me who was on this board 2 years ago venting over the partial free flowing Redcow design. It was me who emailed them. I kept at it. A month later they started to re design it:p

There is NOT land available for what you're describing. Even the easy freeflow, the left-turn R445-M7 NB, has the link road in the way.
    If there is a will there is a way.
    Look at the diagram again. Also, the citybound freeflow would be pointless - you'd be freeflowing to a road that's single carriageway the whole way into the city centre.
    Not quite, that road is fairly wide and now is widened at Parkway. It also is very wide passed Annacotty. I'm only concerned in allowing city traffic more direct access to the M7 and freeing up the roundabout.
    , and the R445 will never be widened due to the amount of abutting buildings. This all should have been clear.
    That road can be widened for much of it's lenght. Except for one stretch at after the Castletroy S.C.

looks like work is moving ahead with the newport interchange.this is taken from aa ireland website

*N7 DUBLIN/LIMERICK* Tonight and tomorrow night (Tues 31st March), Finnegan’s R/A on the N7 Dublin/Limerick will close from 9pm until 6am. Diversions will be in place; Motorists approaching from the Cork direction cannot turn right for Newport and must divert onto the N7 Dublin Rd. Those approaching from Limerick must also divert onto the N7 Dublin Rd. From Dublin take the Old Dublin Rd before the R/A and motorists from Newport can use the R/A as usual. Allow extra time for journeys.

Also thinking that this juction does not have to be completely finished for the rest of the road to open, the side slip roads could be used until flyover is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

Anyone know if the issues(non-payment) with the contractors has been resolved or is it still on going?
    When is the scheme (in total) expected to finish?
    End of the Year I heard someone say here.

Two bridges at Clashnevin are nearly finished just top beams to be put in place. One of the bridges will be complete by the 24th of this month. This is to allow local traffic to use the existing road. These bridges are just east of Moneygal. The earthworks at this point is pretty exstensive.

To answer the above question. The Nenagh to Limerick scheme will open by the end of this year. Think October or Novermber, I'm not sure. Work is on going, but the problems with the contractors meant there is now less manpower on the site. I don't know if they have officially sorted this contract issue out or not. But all I know going from local newsworks, is that it will open at the end of this year for sure.

To answer the above question. The Nenagh to Limerick scheme will open by the end of this year. Think October or Novermber, I'm not sure. Work is on going, but the problems with the contractors meant there is now less manpower on the site. I don't know if they have officially sorted this contract issue out or not. But all I know going from local newsworks, is that it will open at the end of this year for sure.

Good. Where did you hear that from, Mysterious?

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Good. Where did you hear that from, Mysterious?

Seen the local signages on the closed roads adjacent to the new bridges. :)
    This was last week. We actually were driving up one of these back roads, only to find out by accident that these were cut off due to the placing of the new overbridges.

Passed Borris in Ossary, the final surfacing is going in for the new roundabout for the M7 link.

Guys I have bad news, which is what is what was on my mind the last week. It looks like the M7/M8 is going to be delayed further from the way I have seen the works over the last few weeks. The Castletown scheme is pacing fast for the last few weeks. To prove my point. The Castetown scheme ends at Borris in Ossary and the reason why they are advancing on this scheme of the M7/M8 leg here, is because the Castletown section will more than likely finish around 2010 anyway, so they have to complete this link for the Castletown leg to rejoin the N7 at Borris in Ossary. So you can bet that the M7/M8 will be the last of the entire South west motorway puzzle:( The Mountrath N7 flyover still looks abandoned since last week.

Mountrath and Abbeyleix:(

So am I right in saying we will have Two motorways M7/M8 dumping at Mountrath and Abbeyleix in 2010 What do you reckon?

I'm after finding an interesting NIMBY website, a relic from the early years of this decade, opposed to the Limerick to Nenagh scheme. It contains a repository of old press reports about the scheme: http://www.geocities.com/n7motorway/newspaper.html

The Nenagh Toome interchange is crappy.

It should be baptised crappy interchange. God some planners are idiots:mad:
    Three roundabout's there................................. .

Why are we constantly doing half arse jobs in this country. For christ sake.

Just build a new bridge, and give the R445 a straight run over the Castletown scheme. It does NOT have to be where the old crappy arch bridge is. it's actually stupid to retain it. It\s too narrow and its just annoying me now. You also have to rebuild a new section of Road to realign the Old N7. This kind of **** wrecks my head.

Just build a proper fupping flyover on a straight alignment that literally goes in the same path as the old N7 (east west)and just build left on/off slips for christ sakes

Put some WTC7 explosives in that Arch bridge too if you have a hold of them explosives.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So am I right in saying we will have Two motorways M7/M8 dumping at Mountrath and Abbeyleix in 2010 What do you reckon?

Nope, the M8 stops south of Cullahill, so there's Durrow first.

I went over the Nenagh bypass yesterday. I seen the Widening. I was really trying to figure out how wide the mid section would be from Dolla road bridge to the Nenagh N52 flyover.

It seems like the Main carriegway is 4.5metre with a 2m Hs and and new paved 3.5slip beside it. Which still doesn't really give room for a jersey barrier. I'm not hundred percent on the new width.

Now Again looking here it just looks narrower or something.:confused: Full width motorway cross section can fit under the bridge between Dolla road bridge the Nenagh bypass end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some photos I posted of the Nenagh to Limerick section on the Community and Transport forum. It would be nice for more pics to be put up here as alot of the Nenagh - Limerick section is well advanced. Mysterious didnt you say you lived near the N7? :D:D

Southbound from the R504
    DSC01865.jpg

Northbound from the R504
    DSC01863.jpg

Mainline at Nenagh
    DSC01859.jpg

Underpass
    DSC01861.jpg

The above is one of several underpasses Ive seen. I couldnt belive how many local roads I had to take off the N7 to get to an overbridge- the rest were underpasses. The Mainline under the R504 looks like it has its final layer of asphalt done on the northbound lane.

taken from newport local notes in Limerick Leader.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/CustomPages/CustomPage.aspx?pageid=55910

ROAD PROGRESS
    The construction of the Annacotty-Nenagh new M7 is now set to become one of the few new road not to be completed and opened ahead of schedule in recent years.
    The original contractual completion date for the new Limerick-Nenagh road expires this weekend.
    The construction of the road has proved to be far more complex than had been originally envisaged by the construction consortium which comprised of Coffey Construction, Tuam. Co Galway, McNamara Construction, Dublin and Lisdoonvara and RAC, a Portuguese company in the formation of Bother Hibernian which was awarded the contract for the project comprising of 28km of high quality dual carriageway built to motorway standard, between Annacotty and the Five Alley at Carrigatoher, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill and the upgrading of 10km of the Nenagh bypass to dual carriageway standard.
    The new road will link the Limerick Southern Ring Road with the existing Nenagh bypass. There will be interchanges on the route at four locations, Annacotty, Birdhill, Carrigatogher and linking the Nenagh-Thurles road to the new motorway. Provisional estimates for the completion now are the end of 2009 or the first quarter of 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

hahaha what a copy/paste article

Heres the useful bits
    The construction of the Annacotty-Nenagh new M7 is now set to become one of the few new road not to be completed and opened ahead of schedule in recent years.
    The original contractual completion date for the new Limerick-Nenagh road expires this weekend.
    The construction of the road has proved to be far more complex than had been originally envisaged

This is the most important bit.

Provisional estimates for the completion now are the end of 2009 or the first quarter of 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Does this mean penalty clauses will apply or will they be let off due to the fact that:
    The construction of the road has proved to be far more complex than had been originally envisaged by the construction consortium

?

• Advertisement

It might well open in November or December.
    There was/is a lot of difficulty involved in building this scheme, contractor problems notwithstanding. It goes right through several very steep and narrow valleys, meaning mega carving, cutting and blasting of many hillsides was involved. Then there's the bog that it runs through, and all the structures. Not an easy task at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

serfboard wrote: »
    Does this mean penalty clauses will apply or will they be let off due to the fact that:

?

I would imagine not because of the argy bargy that went on / is going on. The structures are now being completed by another contractor so they cannot be held to account for the misgivings of another company.

Berty wrote: »
    I would imagine not because of the argy bargy that went on / is going on. The structures are now being completed by another contractor so they cannot be held to account for the misgivings of another company.

Berty, what do you make of the tie in with the southern ring road? Progress seems to be picking up in the last week or two. Any idea how long that stage would take to complete?

tech2 wrote: »
    Berty, what do you make of the tie in with the southern ring road? Progress seems to be picking up in the last week or two. Any idea how long that stage would take to complete?

That tie in suddenly got an influx of workers recently, your right.

The blacktop is being laid on the Northern approach but they still have to finish back filling the roundabout section between the two structures.

People believe that as soon as the cross beams are dropped into position the bridge will be thrown up very fast but in reality they are now in the slowest phase. Parapets and expansion wall section have to be laid along with the upper decks.

They have laid the upper decks from what I could see(visually from traffic driving around) but Im unsure of the parapets. Im passing there is around 20 minutes. I will glance over and report back.

How long would I estimate for both structures? 4 - 8 weeks. It could be done in 4 or even less but with other jobs needing attention it could end up being 8. 4 if it was all they were doing.

Limerick tie in:

Southern Structure appears to have the same amount of completion as the northern structure in so much that it appears that the abutments and parapets have not been completed and some battoning of the decorative walls need to be finished. Needless to say the installation of the crash barrier/safety barrier needs installing lastly along with waterproofing of the deck.

The backfilling between structures is nearly finished. The are up to the bridge level on the nothtern approach but need to climb up another 8-10 mtrs on the southern approach.

All in all good progress.

Thanks Berty, the progress on the construction of both structures really did pick up fast in the last few weeks. Good ot hear the backfilling around the structures is nearly done.

I travelled along the route today to Birdhill. Most of the route has the concrete barrier laid and the final layers of asphalt down. However it was extemely hard to find many overbridges. I found one south of Dalys cross and also on the Newport - Birdhill road. Its one scheme thats littered with underpasses.

Tech 2, RE Daly's Cross, have they started to do anything with that forest of concrete piles that you see from the overbridge as you look towards Limerick?

If the final surface/wearing course is down, then it's almost certain we're looking at an autumn opening.

Tech 2, RE Daly's Cross, have they started to do anything with that forest of concrete piles that you see from the overbridge as you look towards Limerick?

If the final surface/wearing course is down, then it's almost certain we're looking at an autumn opening.

I didnt see the concrete piles that were on the previous photos you took Furet the north section looked very bendy also. I will take a few photos tomorrow hopefully to show you what the progress is like.

The reason for this is two fold.

Firstly its because the area is a bog. The road around Dalys cross which passes beneath the road is even called the bog road.

Secondly and the picture below illustrates this. This was around 1 year ago when I decided to drive onto the site myself for a look. The concrete pilons are there to support the course that lies above it preventing it from sinking into the bog.

This picture is taken after dalys cross in the Limerick direction. Around 1km after Dalys cross there is a flyover and around 500mtrs after the flyover is this section.

Nenagh-Limerick4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

A new art installation? :D

"What does this say to you?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement