Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Restaurant in Letterkenny?

• 07-02-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Anybody able to recommend a decent restaurant in Letterkenny, either traditional or Chinese.

Ta,

Bocban

Comments

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Indian - Shapla on the port road near Kelly's Toyota garage.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As regards a standard restaurant, The Oak Tree opposite An Grianán is good. Yellow Pepper and Lemon Tree used to be well recommended too.

There used to be a good Chinese restaurant beside Voodoo. Can't remember the name of it or if it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Theres an Italian restaurant in a business park out by the Dry Arch roundabout, can't remeber the name, but its by far the best restaurant in Letterkenny imo. Apologies if its not what your looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭GSF

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Theres an Italian restaurant in a business park out by the Dry Arch roundabout, can't remeber the name, but its by far the best restaurant in Letterkenny imo. Apologies if its not what your looking for!
    Weird place for it beside the NCT centre isn't it?

Supposed to be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

It is a bit strange for a restaurant alright, you'd need to drive or get a taxi. I know its owned by a man called Davide Tullio and it is a lovely place. I just cant remeber the name! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

think it is called la Fantaisie, might have wrong spelling, I would highly recommend it even if it is in a bad location. Also that Beetroot into is lovely too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Another vote for the Lemon Tree! Pricey but well worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Was in new indian on Pearse Road last nite called D Chilli Shaker

A bit pricey but well impressed

Service quicker than Shapla too

Place is beside back of Sister Saras across the road from Gleneany house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 madalig

The Lemon Tree is pricy but good, also down the road behind the grill there is a nice place, it's called I....... something i can't remember but the food was really good and reasonable prices, good attention to customers in there.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

slogue wrote: »
    Was in new indian on Pearse Road last nite called D Chilli Shaker

A bit pricey but well impressed

Service quicker than Shapla too

Place is beside back of Sister Saras across the road from Gleneany house

must give it a go, i like shapla lovely food,

i would like to see a mexican food restuarant in lkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Oak Tree - Lovely, the best IMO, large portions and beautiful food

The Brewery - Possibly the nicest soup in the country, lovely food in a lovely place.

Lemon Tree - Poor Poprtions and the food isnt that great, also the layout is terrible. They have an open kitchen and the noise is terrible!!

Yellow Pepper - Nice food, bit pricey but there menu NEVER CHANGES. its always the same, Medallions of beef and banoffie Pie is nice on it which has to be said. DONT HAVE THE STEAK JALFRIZZE, i had it twice both times it was just thick roast beef with peppers on in...

Beetroot - Indian spice, flutters and flavours thrown over EVERTHING, i dont think it works to well.

Steakhouse, Mountain Top - its ok, nothing over the moon just basic.

Shapla - not my seen, ate in it once, won't be back. Thats cause i do't like indian.

Mount Errigal - Good food, bit pricey aswell but relaxed atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Oak tree, service was poor but the food good

Lemon Tree, unusual opening hours and quite a cramped restaurant. Food is excellent however.

Yellow Pepper, good service and food. Menu is getting a bit long in the tooth. They serve un-filtered tap water in jugs which is the worst tasting in town (dont know why!)

Beetroot, the place has little atmosphere, service is variable food is ok.
    Shapla, very good food and service

Have not tried the chilli shaker yet.

If you dont mind a trip out of town try the waters edge in Rathmullan

Heres one that not many people know about,
    The two restaurants in the Radisson letterkenny
    Tribeca is more formal with great food.
    The Oakk bar & Grill is fantastic value and the food is very good, its more of a sunday lunch location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Although I have never been in it I have heard numerous good reports about Gleneany House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

byte wrote: »
    There used to be a good Chinese restaurant beside Voodoo. Can't remember the name of it or if it's still open.

Still there but it's easy to miss. Owners name is Sunny. He does very little sit-in business, nearly all take-away but I prefer the food to the Tin-Tai.

If anyone else goes to the chilli shaker pelase report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Always like the Lemon Tree, great for fish.

Find the Yellow Pepper hit and miss, over rated tbh.

Haven't been in the Italian on the Port Road in a while but it was very good. Lovely fillet steak.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 madalig

Infusion.....i only spotted it walking to mceverleys sports, found it reasonably priced and really hot food, good portions. Recommended by me!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NickyOD wrote: »
    Still there but it's easy to miss. Owners name is Sunny. He does very little sit-in business, nearly all take-away but I prefer the food to the Tin-Tai.

If anyone else goes to the chilli shaker pelase report back!
    Yeah, when I was living in LK, I preferred it to Tin Tai, though it seems Tin Tai is favoured by many others.

Was/Is it called The Great Wall? That name is ringing a bell for some reason. I know it did change name a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Tin Tai gets a lot of business because its easy to get parked and its very quick, having said that i think the food is very nice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

I can't understand the attraction of Tin Tai....the food is completely sanitised to the point where you'd be hard pushed to call it a Chinese.
    The place beside McGinleys, Canton Cottage, has delicious food and even do Thai food which is even nicer...well spiced and great value (IMO).

By the way, the place out by the NCT Centre is called La Fantasia and the number for anyone who's interested is 07491 13421.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lordhawhaw

best sirloin steak is possibly the place out the ramelton road about 2km out called silver tassie? The waters edge is very good in ramelton for sunday lunch about 25 eu for 4 course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Beanstalk wrote: »

La Fantasia.

The manager had his mother over visiting last month.She was baking her own bread for the place,have never tasted anything like it:eek:

Fantastic.

The indian on the square is nice,aswell as Pats on the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Was in Beetroot last night to see what all the fuss was about. I found it over priced and over rated.
    The starters were nice but why do people think they can charge almost €10 for a tiny plate of food.
    The main course was ok, pasta sauce was like water though.
    Desert was ok.
    The wine is ridiculously over priced as well but that is the same in most restaurants.
    I for one will be glad when this recession kicks in and these restaurants are forced to bring these prices down to a decent level, they have been ripping people off for years.
    A restaurant I worked in bought its house wine for €4 and sold it for €22.
    A chicken breast costs about €1, how can they justify selling it for €17, just because they add a little sauce.
    Dont get me started on steak, I just get cross. €33 for something I can get in Tesco's for €6, believe me it dosent cost €27 to cook a steak.
    The only way to stop this is for people to stop going to restaurants for a few months, teach these people a lesson that we are not willing to be taken for suckers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

there is a lovely place opposite old dunnes was there last week thought it was reasonable price and good portion, La Fantasia in kilmacrennan is lovely too, avoid the steak house mountain top its really terrible, rubbish service and the food was inedable!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Head out the golf course road to a place called 'Castle Grove House' absolutely lovely food but the surroundings really do make it.

As for eating in town I prefer the Yellow Pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

When i was in LEtterkenny recently i ate in the Yellow Pepper. Lovely food and the place was buzzing. Slightly expensive but a way nicer than the dinner we got the second evening in the Radisson SAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

It'd be nice if they changed the menu now and again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 martblue

hard to beat Shapla and La Fantasia both excellent, and with La Fantasia's fixed menu of €25 for 4 courses is excellent value..for quality food:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

if it chinese its tin tia, if it indian its shapla's, if its itilian in primavera, if its other lemon tree I have never ever had anything less than excellent in these resturants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

jenbecca wrote: »
    if it chinese its tin tia, if it indian its shapla's, if its itilian in primavera, if its other lemon tree I have never ever had anything less than excellent in these resturants.

Have to disagree there, money tree is the best chinese in the land, bar none!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

I will argue with you as I have been to both several and I admit money tree is lovely and food is good but service has lacked a good few times. So for over all it has to be Tin tai and believe me I love my chinese food so I go to all but I would give it a four out of 5

Advertisement