Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Offers.... Lets hear.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Kappar

I think it was C3H, I wish they could drop that to High Ord.
    Can anyone see this happening?

When the the 2nd round offers get made.

tbh sorry but i can't see that happening. Colleges take the view you are going to need that high level of maths to complete the course and not drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I can't speak for every type of course, but if ye're heading for a Engineering degree, a high level of Mathematics is essential. Being handy @ maths or getting a good grade in the LC, will make life much easier for you in college. I don't think the secondary schools emphasise this enough (didn't when I was there). I saw so many people get screwed out of the course over maths, and all because they simply sat the Ord. level paper.

So just remember, getting the requirements will get you in, but having a flair and appropriate mindset will let you stay.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DC121 Computer Applications 350 365 360
    This is really dropping. It's dropped like 40/50 points in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Originally posted be sceptre

Frankly I'd be really really really surprised if you didn't get it in the first two rounds.

Round one just passed me by.....
    Again i say crud. hopefully the next rounds will be more generous....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Serialkiller

tbh sorry but i can't see that happening. Colleges take the view you are going to need that high level of maths to complete the course and not drop out.

I don't agree with college's policy of not letting in people unless they have a HC3. Time after time i hear people regretting having not done honours maths because they were never informed that it is necessary for a lot of courses. Also just because you got a HC3 or better in maths it doesn't necessarily mean you are good at it, i know loads of people who did very well by just learning the steps in doing a problem without properly understanding it. You might not get an A doing this but you'll get a B or C

Although having said that most IT's and NUI Galway operate a system where you take a test at September which can get you into engineering courses. This is cool because it saves a lot of people the trouble of having to go to England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ok this is my situation, I got offered my #4 and #1. My #2 and #3 are the same amount of points (5 away from what I got) Now what happens after rechecks if I get the extra points.

Will I be offered #2 first ? will I then get the chance for #3 ? (I really really really want 3!)

Anyone tell me what could happen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Shame, when i seen the Points yesterday I felt i would have had a better chance at it and even might go down a little next year, however i new that with the math requirement being what it was i would be excluded.

I have an active interest in computers. I've learned VB6, DB Structuring, OOP Concepts, SQL querying and am learning PHP,MySQL, Looking at Java and none of this would be counted.

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV

I don't agree with college's policy of not letting in people unless they have a HC3. Time after time i hear people regretting having not done honours maths because they were never informed that it is necessary for a lot of courses. Also just because you got a HC3 or better in maths it doesn't necessarily mean you are good at it, i know loads of people who did very well by just learning the steps in doing a problem without properly understanding it. You might not get an A doing this but you'll get a B or C

Although having said that most IT's and NUI Galway operate a system where you take a test at September which can get you into engineering courses. This is cool because it saves a lot of people the trouble of having to go to England

I know its not a perfect solution and unfair in probally alot of cases but I agree with the colleges stance, computer courses are heavily involved in maths alot of the time, its important a person has a high level of it.

And i think UL accept people with a certain grade in pass maths for there computer courses if you wished to reapply this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Computer apps in Dcu

/me happy :D

funny how they cut the number of student accepted in half....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Ok this is my situation, I got offered my #4 and #1. My #2 and #3 are the same amount of points (5 away from what I got) Now what happens after rechecks if I get the extra points.

Will I be offered #2 first ? will I then get the chance for #3 ? (I really really really want 3!)

Anyone tell me what could happen ?

If you have the points for No 2 - you get No 2 or stick with what you have, you cant choose anything further down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

Chaos-Engine: you've got a friend.

LC Points: 530
    CS in Trinity: 345 down from 420
    Time accepted 06:03 Tuesday. (I went back to bed).

Do you have any idea when the orientation etc. starts? The TCD calander seems a bit confusing.

BTBB

Freshers/Orientation week for TCD starts 2nd of october :) We've loads n loads of time left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i got applied computing in LIT was going for comp sys in UL but i couldnt be ars>ed studying so i didnt get it i cant belive its only 290 this year the lowest points in UL droped 50 points

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Freshers/Orientation week for TCD starts 2nd of october :) We've loads n loads of time left :)

Yeah, you'll find TCD starts really late (or is it UCD starts really early). You pay for it later - ie When your mates have finished their UCD exams, you're only starting yours :p

afaik TCD don't finish much later than UCd at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

TR006 Psychology Trinity College (545 points) - I'm another trinity-bound Boards.ie member. We'll be running the place before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

DN009 Law (BCL)

UCD weh!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

afaik TCD don't finish much later than UCd at all.....

heh, you'll see................

Advertisement