Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vomiting bug?

• 28-04-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

The little one has it 'I think', shes 3 1/2. She caught it from kids at the preschool. She was down for a few days feeling low and cranky, today she vomited and started shaking and feeling bad. It came on all of a sudden.

Any recommendations to ease the symptoms from experience? I heard that flat lucozade helps. Also she got it last yr as well and the yr before that. I seem to be immune thankfully so at least I can look after her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8010346.stm

I know personally when I was a child, flat 7up used to make me vomit more!!

Also, most fizzy drinks are diuretics and make you urinate more... this coupled with vomiting, could possibly make your child more dehydrated (someone correct me if I'm wrong... cos I could be spouting complete and utter bs...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Dioralyte sachet's will rehydrate.
    Steer clear of all dairy, it can aggravate the bug. If your child does have to eat try crackers or toast dry foods.

My 3 year old had it last week, he had the diarrhoea for a week with it!!

Thankfully the rest of us didn't get it.
    i hope the little one gets over it soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

We came down with it as a family year before last. Didn't know what it was first, oldest child came down with it first, vomiting and diarrohea- husband brought her to the gp, and when he went in he collapsed himself. Doctor diagnosed winter vomiting bug, told him to go home and for us to stay at home for a week to ten days, until symptoms subside. Not to leave house in case we infected other people. Said to drink flat 7up, fruit juice, water, tea with sugar- basically keep hydrated and take sugar in whatever form to give a little energy. If we could eat, to eat dry crackers, toast or dry biscuits. By the time husband got home myself and the little one were throwing up. It is extremely contagious and pretty damn horrible. For us it lasted about 8 or 9 days and although the worst symptoms were over by then we still couldn't eat for about another 3/4 days. I forced myself to sip lucozade now and then and tea. Towards the end of the first week we were having toast and kids would eat pasta with a little butter. Anything else we would just throw up ( and even the toast etc didn't always stay down). At the time the youngest was only 2. No milk obviously or anything like that. By the end of the bug the kids were looking pretty gaunt ( they are skinny anyway) so it was pretty nasty. No energy the whole time, kids slept a lot, and as we couldn't go out we just read them books, had jigsaws and colouring when they perked up a bit.

From what doctor told us ( by telephone during and afterwards) if it really is winter vomiting bug you WILL all come down with it. But there are so many different types of gastro and some of them are pretty damned serious ( more so than the wvb for healthy people) so always best to keep an eye and bring her to the doctor just i case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My nipper (@ 6 months) caught it from her cousin and gave it to me and the missis. Then me and the missis had a recurrence 2 weeks later - though thankfully the nipper was fine.

Three things are important - hydration, patience and consideration to those who haven't yet got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Main thing is to keep babes hydrated - if shes still vomiting only allow her to take sips of drink as if she drinks too much at one go it'll come straight back up again. A sip every few minutes should work, keep temperature down.
    Dont worry about food until the vomiting is gone, just as long as shes getting liquids. No milk or diary products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks all, great advice. Flat liquids with sugar seems to be the way to go. That makes sense to me as lucozade is glucose based i.e. the breakdown of sugar etc (did it in science).

The little one seems to be over it now, it hit her hard and fast and then went away just as quick. I was pretty worried at the time, the bug is v.bad for some from what I have heard.

I'm curious though... every year it hits us and my whole family gets it including everyone that comes in contact with those infected and they suffer.

A poster above mentioned that 'you will all get it' and just about everyone across my family did get it every time. All except me, I have never had it and I seem to be immune to it? I'm not complaining but I'm curious as to why I'm so immune, so far at least. Any theories on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

A poster above mentioned that 'you will all get it' and just about everyone across my family did get it every time. All except me, I have never had it and I seem to be immune to it? I'm not complaining but I'm curious as to why I'm so immune, so far at least. Any theories on this.

dont ask - if you do the magic circle of immi=unity that surrounds you will disappear back to fairy land:D

Advertisement