Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustard for heartburn

• 23-05-2004 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

If you are suffering from heartburn after a night of excess, mustard is a very good cure. Simply swallow a blob of mustard whole and it you will soon feel the heartburn go down.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Never heard that before!

However:
    The ancients held that mustard was good, and good for you, if not a virtual panacea. The Greeks credited Aesculapius, son of Apollo and god of medicine, with creating it. Dioscorides, the first-century A.D. Greek physician whose De re medica was the standard pharmacological text for centuries, prescribed mustard for everything from swollen tonsils to epilepsy, and as a tonic against "feminine lassitude." The Roman scholar Pliny the Elder ground mustard seed with vinegar and used it as a poultice for snakebite and scorpion stings, while the Greek physician Hippocrates favored mustard poultices for treating bronchitis, pneumonia, rheumatism and neuralgia--ample precedent for today's folk medicine remedy of a mustard plaster for many of the same ills.

From For the Love of Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Does this really work, or is it a punishment for those who believe everything they read on the Interweb?
    I suffer terribly from heartburn after a night out, Rennie should give me bulk discounts cos I use so much of them!

Can I just remind people that this is not a medical forum and anything you read here should be read with a pinch of salt or a grain of mustard. If symptoms persist then see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maybe there should be a charter?

Good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Is the hairy thing true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I've actually used it and I can vouch for it's effectiveness. But as already pointed out, if symptoms persist yada yada yada./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I have extremly hairy ears,could this be because someone is secretly smearing them with mustard unbeknownst to me,i have checked the arms of my spectacles for yellow secretions but to no avail,any idea whats going on there then?

Thanks in advance

PS MUSTARD ROCKS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Originally posted by alleepally
    If you are suffering from heartburn after a night of excess, mustard is a very good cure. Simply swallow a blob of mustard whole and it you will soon feel the heartburn go down.

Wow! Must try that sometime cos i get heartburn quiet often. Mostly after i exercise! Cheers! :);)

Advertisement