Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless calving cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭6600

We bought from that Equicom that advertise on the Journal 18 months ago. Wouldn't go with them again. The guys on the phones know nothing about what they sell and are no help when you're trying to install it. You need someone who knows what the best set up is for your yard. Cheapest is not always best

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pgjk

Never heard much about them.
    I've had an internal pan and tilt camera as seen on the done deal add out in an open front hay shed the last two years and it's still working perfect, even survived last years freeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

hi all, i am looking for a good quality calving camera, i am living 12 miles from the farm, (recession on cant afford to build at home), i want to be able to log in via laptop or i phone(santa bringing me 1 i hope), is there any product on the market that fits my requirement and if so cant anyone direct me to a company and is this type of system a success and how is picture quality this distance. cheers all

Probably your only option is to set one up over the mobile 3G network once you have good coverage, distance is no object then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

Look at the New Sony mobile broadband Calving camera system as advertised in the farmers journal from connacht agri. You could buy a top up vodafone dongle but I wonder would they be heavy on data usage. Also they don't give a price online.

http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.php?p=136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Mobile broadband bandwidth is the limitation of this system and contention ratio of mobile broadband is extremely hight . QOS would play in giving someone a dependable and consistent system.

I think + 1 for PTP network over 5GHz for getting you a good dependable picture!
    I have setup good few of these type of setups. LOS is not an overall problem by daisy-chaining and either is distance to a extent using the correct stuff.
    But mobile broadband is a no go by these type of products and even more so in rural areas.

if anyone needs advice.hit me a pm

Sorry I have to disagree, as long as you have 3G mobile broadband coverage they will work perfect.
    Best way to check is try and watch a video from you tube on your mobile/laptop and if you have no trouble watching it then the camera will work.
    I've had a lot of success with setting calving cameras up with mobile broadband, three.ie are doing a good package, €10/month and you can top up like a mobile phone, out of calving season you just dont top it up, I think thats right anyway, dont quote me on that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭twin27

Hi lads I want to fit 2 calving cameras house is six hundred metres from shed and straight line of sight. Can ye recommend a company that can set up a good wireless system for me cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

PTP network over 5GHz sounds like what i'm looking for. The sheds are 2 km's from the dwelling house as measured on an ordanance survey map and there is line of sight. Why 5GHz over 2.4? Would the transmitter and receivers need to be perfectly aligned or would in the general direction do? Where is a good place to buy these systems. I've seen a system with equicom but it only travels up to 1500m.

straight wrote: »
    PTP network over 5GHz sounds like what i'm looking for. The sheds are 2 km's from the dwelling house as measured on an ordanance survey map and there is line of sight. Why 5GHz over 2.4? Would the transmitter and receivers need to be perfectly aligned or would in the general direction do? Where is a good place to buy these systems. I've seen a system with equicom but it only travels up to 1500m.

Hi there ,

Well 5ghz, less prone to interference over the crowed 2.4ghz spectrum ,thus a more consistent network connection. Well I would like to know more about the route to each PTP, If this perfect LOS between both transmitter and receiver, I quite like the Equicom solution, however if there is a noticeable amount of foliage or if LOS has being cut off because hills or valleys then that solution becomes very much redundant as signal breakdown occurs .

If LOS is going to be a problem then I might be able to suggest some IP PTP stuff which can be daisy chained, AP ~> Sta > AP ~> Sta
    Take some pictures between the line of site.

In terms of mobile broadband

Mobile quotes the peak mast speed shared among everyone, real ISPs quote the package speed. Download is not the biggest issue , Upload also an issue . Mobile broadband also high degrees of traffic shaping under different circumstances, sometimes you can be on 3G other times 2.5G or worst still 2G, Best of luck even opening googles homepage no mind viewing a video on that connection.

Anyway bye for now

• Advertisement

twin27 wrote: »
    Hi lads I want to fit 2 calving cameras house is six hundred metres from shed and straight line of sight. Can ye recommend a company that can set up a good wireless system for me cheers

I quite like Equicom. They should be able to offer some sort of relative cheep solution.

http://www.equicom.ie

Heard pretty good feedback about them

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

I have the ptz camera and works great in the house, also have a dvr box for recording etc. Now i need to set it up to view on my iphone when I'm away Looking for a simple solution if possible
    I'm viewing it on the tv at the min, dvr has computer cables, can i link to computer and view with log me in or is there another ap I can use
    Anyother soloutions or ideas, shed about 600m from house LOS.
    Some of you seem to be linking into internet in shed, how do you send this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

robin3 wrote: »
    I have the ptz camera and works great in the house, also have a dvr box for recording etc. Now i need to set it up to view on my iphone when I'm away Looking for a simple solution if possible
    I'm viewing it on the tv at the min, dvr has computer cables, can i link to computer and view with log me in or is there another ap I can use
    Anyother soloutions or ideas, shed about 600m from house LOS.
    Some of you seem to be linking into internet in shed, how do you send this?

im assuming your dvr is in your house, if it has a network port you should be able to connect it to your brandband router at home with a network cable, you will need the instrauctions to figure out what IP address it picks up. if all this works it will be on the same network as your home pc assuming your home pc is also connected to your broadband modem either wirelessly or with network cable. then it you be just a case of putting the dvr IP address into your browser. you should also be able to access this thru your iphone if you connect your iphone to the same broadband router wirelessly, again im assuming you have a wireless broadband modem. you would also be able access this thru internet but it depends on your broadband provider and making a few changes on the modem

thanks vanderbadger, I haven't got a wireless router atm, but have been looking at the 3larger one not the little mifi one, so if i get this sorted i should be in business? must look up instructions for ip address, thank you for your help.
    Wondering what you mean make a few changes on the modem? at the min I'm just using the 3 dongle, if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

robin3 wrote: »
    thanks vanderbadger, I haven't got a wireless router atm, but have been looking at the 3larger one not the little mifi one, so if i get this sorted i should be in business? must look up instructions for ip address, thank you for your help.
    Wondering what you mean make a few changes on the modem? at the min I'm just using the 3 dongle, if that helps

aah 3g, i was assuming you like eircom type modem, it would be harder to get working in your current scenario, similarly i was talking about a slight change on eircom type modem to let you access you camera from internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Robin I currently have a wireless calving system which is on a 3g network. I can access the cameras and check my stock from anywhere.
    I`m using ip cameras with pan and tilt functions Im not sure about your cameras I suspect that you would probably have to set up your own webserver to view them.
    I can give you a list of the equipment I have and how to set it up if you want
    Grecco

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

ceannfort wrote: »
    definetly the way to go. installed CCTV sytem without broadband accessible cameras (for the want of knowing) as broadband was unavailable at the time. i now have broadban and regret it and am struggling to get anyone to clearly explain how i upgrade from my wired system to an internet accessible version.

You can get an analogue camera into your computer via a USB Video Grabber. I got mine originally for transferring VHS to DVD. €5 - €15 app from Eyespyfx and you have it on your phone (including non smart phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

you cant use vodafone to strem video as they dont allow it, i should know i install cctv part time

paconnors wrote: »
    you cant use vodafone to strem video as they dont allow it, i should know i install cctv part time

I have no problems in streaming video using vodafone, what issues did you have??

Grecco wrote: »
    I have no problems in streaming video using vodafone, what issues did you have??

So it seems everybody here are having no issue using 3g streaming and are very happy. This seems however to contradict a lot of the unhappiness with 3G mobile providers expressed in other threads.

• Advertisement

So it seems everybody here are having no issue using 3g streaming and are very happy. This seems however to contradict a lot of the unhappiness with 3G mobile providers expressed in other threads.

Ive put up a link to one of my ip cameras working, type this number into the address bar
    212.129.69.172:8090

username shauny
    password robert123

I have good 3g coverage so give it a try and see

(I may limit the number of logins if things slow down)

Ive put up a link to one of my ip cameras working, type this number into the address bar
    212.129.69.172:8090

username shauny
    password robert123

I have good 3g coverage so give it a try and see

(I may limit the number of logins if things slow down)

I've now

removed access to the IP camera

Hi , Checked it out last night . Quite interesting how the video was interlacing frames with refresh rate. Did a pretty good job of it. Video was watchable. Only concern is, Peak usage , the network would slow to a crawl and become unwatchable as there is no guaranteed contention ratio when it comes to 3g tech .

I agree, your at the mercy of the 3g provider. The thing is there's is no real alternative in the countryside bar satellite broadband and that's gonna cost and arm and a leg. Fixed line broadband doesnt exist for 99% of rural dwellers :(

Its good enough though to check a few cows etc, (I had the PTZ functions disabled for visitors)

If lads want to see it again let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

http://www.equicom.ie/single-calving-camera-194-p.asp

do these cameras give a good picture or is it gibberish, anyone got an equicom camera connected up wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

i have single wireless camera, picture good, no probs at all with the system

Robin I currently have a wireless calving system which is on a 3g network. I can access the cameras and check my stock from anywhere.
    I`m using ip cameras with pan and tilt functions Im not sure about your cameras I suspect that you would probably have to set up your own webserver to view them.
    I can give you a list of the equipment I have and how to set it up if you want
    Grecco

hi, interested to hear how you've set it up, wasn't on for the last few days so missed viewing your cam ,
    My camera isn't an ip, but has p t z.
    My dvr is from avermedia, but can't put my hand on the instruction manual
    Do I need to download an app to act as a web server, can anyone recommend something they're using or is it specific to your dvr,
    i don't have a dynamic ip address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

How many cameras would ye recommend in say a pen the size of a single bay of hayshed?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

Hi,

i'm looking to buy a cow calfing camera as a present and not sure weather the wireless one would work or if id need to go to the traditional wired one (which id rather not!). the shed is within the 200m from the house. it's an older house with thick walls, does that matter? Also the bedroom is the far end of the house (i dont know if any of this matters). there is trees and a lower shed between the house and calving shed, would this effect my wireless camera.
    Sorry about all the questions, i dont really understand how they work!

Also is equicom a good company to go with

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

just wondeirng a friend of mine has a shed about two miles from his house...The shed and house are blocked by a hill... Just wondering what would be the best thing to do in this situation....He wants something so that ha can see cows calving instead of having to make the trek up every night..He has power at the shed....any help appreciated

Advertisement