Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema ennis road

• 12-07-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

According to headline on limerick leader over the weekend, cinema for ennis road was granted planning permisson. :) Beside woodies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

According to headline on limerick leader over the weekend, cinema for ennis road was granted planning permisson. :) Beside woodies.

Do people think we need another cinema? I suppose there isnt one at this side of the city! Interesting :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I only bought the Limerick Leader this weekend so I could read that story! :D

Absolutely delighted about the news. Storm and the Omniplex are grand cinemas, but they're not really worth the hassle of getting across town. Not very often, anyway.
    There's definitely a market for it on this side of Limerick and parts of Clare too.
    7 screens seems an appropriate size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

Planning was already granted for one at coonagh cross but it never went ahead. Having been to Storm Cinema and the Omniplex lately i dont know whether there is enough cinema goers in Limerick to warrant a third cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

Planning was already granted for one at coonagh cross but it never went ahead.

Was just going to say the same thing! I do hope it goes ahead, though I will admit to not going to the cinema as often as i used to. Looks like it will be the 3 units to the right of smyths toys? Lot of parking, and a mcdonalds right there. Hope it pans out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep planning was granted for one in Coonagh before and that got messed up for various reasons.

Planning was also approved for one beside the Jetland near Smyths toys before as well so I would not believe it until it is fully built and the doors are open to the public.

Planning was also applied for, for a cinema on Catherine street, but I am struggling to recall the ins and out of that other than the general location as I cannot remember the name of the pub that was where the planning was applied for.

The pub was on the left hand side of Catherine street as you walk towards town. The Ulster bank/HSE buildings were across from it and there were snooker or pool tables upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Highstool?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

:( Highstool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I think its the city center that needs a cinema

zuroph wrote: »
    :( Highstool.

Did it have a different name in the 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kess73 wrote: »
    Did it have a different name in the 90's?

The Desmond Arms.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Desmond Arms.

That's the name I was trying to remember. Cheers.

It was that part of that block where planning permission was applied for before. Would have been last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They have to do something with coonagh, as for woodies, it'd be a small cinema altho there's 3-4 free units by smyths. More importantly where's the KFC that was meant to be out that side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think its going to be a great idea. Covers a large area including people from clare etc.. Also i think its a pizza place this side of town needs too, not someting like KFC. I know town isn't too far away but the only food option missing is a pizza delivery place (Pizza Hut, Dominos etc..). Most of the other sides of town have two or three differnent places to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Jofspring wrote: »
    I think its going to be a great idea. Covers a large area including people from clare etc.. Also i think its a pizza place this side of town needs too, not someting like KFC. I know town isn't too far away but the only food option missing is a pizza delivery place (Pizza Hut, Dominos etc..). Most of the other sides of town have two or three differnent places to choose from.

Supermacs on the Ennis RD do pizzas.

Supermacs on the Ennis RD do pizzas.

Half the time they tell you the cooker isn't on or think of some excuse to not make them and they don't deliver either which is a pity. If they put Papa Johns in there instead of Relish i'd say they'd make a killing.

Remember the good old days when supermacs had slices of pizzas all ready to be sold in the little spinny display..Mmmmm

Not in shannon or limerick anymore. I have seen it in galway one though!

phill106 wrote: »
    Remember the good old days when supermacs had slices of pizzas all ready to be sold in the little spinny display..Mmmmm

Not in shannon or limerick anymore. I have seen it in galway one though!

Ya they did them up till recently in Supermacs on O'Connell Street. Haven't been in there in a while but i loved getting a Pizza meal in there.

Dam now i want pizza.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

i hope this ACTUALLY goes ahead, the north side of town has pritty much everything except a cinema, now we can all head to dunnes for nibbles before hand!

They certainly needed it over here if you look at the population and areas;

Caherdavin - 7,000+
    Moyross - 4,500+

then you have ennis road,
    clareview
    ballynanty
    clonmacken
    ashbrook
    north circular road
    westfields
    woodview
    and many more

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya they did them up till recently in Supermacs on O'Connell Street. Haven't been in there in a while but i loved getting a Pizza meal in there.

I only got some there last Sunday after a feed of pints ...nyom nyom

• Advertisement

If there's a zombie movie in the new cinema will this thread be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

only if you talk about that zombie movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

Works have begun on the cinema!!

Cool so i take it its by smyths\woodies.

Cool so i take it its by smyths\woodies.

They have those 2-3 buildings parralel to smyths i believe (to the right)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

tippboi wrote: »
    Works have begun on the cinema!!

Hallelujah! could it really be happening?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I only bought the Limerick Leader this weekend so I could read that story! :D

Absolutely delighted about the news. Storm and the Omniplex are grand cinemas, but they're not really worth the hassle of getting across town. Not very often, anyway.
    There's definitely a market for it on this side of Limerick and parts of Clare too.
    7 screens seems an appropriate size as well.

Just great news , I go all the time with the grandkids and it is a real hassle treking over to the Omniplex or Storm.

Storm seems to me to be very expensive compared to the Omniplex, only 4.80 each for the kids and 6.70 before 6 pm. Storm seems a lot more expensive. Lets hope the new one is reasonable .

With a bit of luck the new cinema won't have 3D and I will be able to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 instead of Kung Fu Panda 4 !

A KFC next and i'll never have to cross the river again except for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A KFC next and i'll never have to cross the river again except for work.

With a drivethrough..................:eek: I'd move out to that side of town in that case. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Finally I was beginning to think it was never going to happen.

Anyone heard anything bout a date when it'll be ready?

Advertisement