Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get accents on your keyboard

• 21-08-2002 11:28am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I'm sure some of these are not used, if so, let me know and I'll delete whatever is not required.
    Obviously let me know if I have left anything out either.

Ç=ALT+0199
    ç=ALT+0231

À=ALT+0192
    à=ALT+0224
    È=ALT+0200
    è=ALT+0232
    Ì=ALT+0204
    ì=ALT+0236
    Ò=ALT+0210
    ò=ALT+0242
    Ù=ALT+0217
    ù=ALT+0249

Á=SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+a
    á=CTRL+ALT+a
    É=SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+e
    é=CTRL+ALT+e
    Í=SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+i
    í=CTRL+ALT+i
    Ó=SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+o
    ó=CTRL+ALT+o
    Ú=SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+u
    ú=CTRL+ALT+u

Â=ALT+0194
    â=ALT+0226
    Ê=ALT+0202
    ê=ALT+0234
    Î=ALT+0206
    î=ALT+0238
    Ô=ALT+0212
    ô=ALT+0244
    Û=ALT+0219
    û=ALT+0251

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Another way of getting these is to use the character map (if you have it), and just select/copy/paste into your document.

To access the character map on your (Win9X) PC:
    Start->Programs->Accesories->System Tools->Character Map.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

è

yehhhhh! ca marche Samson, filisitation! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    è

yehhhhh! ca marche Samson, filisitation! :D

Nous essayons notre meilleur!
    (We try our best).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Samson

ca marche :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

The button just left of the 1 on your keyboard is a handy way of doing quick accents. Push it (nothing happens) then type a vowel. I got these ones:

èàùìò

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

These as well. I can't remember if they're all used in French..

Ä=ALT+0196
    Ë=ALT+0203
    Ï=ALT+0207
    Ö=ALT+0214
    Ü=ALT+0220
    ä=ALT+0228
    ë=ALT+0235
    ï=ALT+0239
    ö=ALT+0246
    ü=ALT+0252

And I know this is the French board, but if any of you speak Spanish:
    Ñ=ALT+0209
    ñ=ALT+0241
    ¿=ALT+0191
    ¡=ALT+0161 (Inverted exclamation point)

or Portuguese :D
    Ã=ALT+0195
    Õ=ALT+0123
    ã=ALT+0227
    õ=ALT+0245

Also, I always found it useful to know this:

Upper case accented letters are not normally shown in french. So école is written Ecole in upper case.

The accute accent is found on only one letter - é. It's role is to turn the sound of the letter into an "ay" sound: lycée

The grave accent is found normally only on è.
    It is only found on an 'a' on the preposition à (to distinguish it from il/elle 'a') and là (there - to distinguish it from the word 'la' - 'the').
    It is found on 'u' in the word 'où' (where) distinguishing it from 'ou' (or).
    On 'e' it changes the sound to a lengthened share sound:
    grève.

The diaresis (two dots) is found on the second letter in certain combinations of vowels. It's role is to seperate the two vowel sounds (to show that it is not supposed to be a dipthong): Noël

The circonflex can occur on any vowel and sometimes lengthen it, although the sound change can be slight to non-existent. It often represented a missing 's' from its old Latin form, so words with a circonflex can often seem more like a word we know when you replace the circonflex with an 's' following the word (e.g. château - chasteau (closer to castle), vêtement - vestement (clothes (vestments)) or hôte - hoste (host).

The cedilla is found under a 'c' to show that an 's' sound is used where normally a 'k' should be used. This means that a ç will only be found before an a, o or u. - Français

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

"Je fais de mon mieux"

"Je fais de mon mieux" I do my best

"nous faison de notre mieux" we do our best

Nous essayons notre meilleur! : is a literal translation. (we try our best).

Don't mean to be pedantic; God loves a tryer, as a friend of mine always says.

esentziak (Newbie)

Oops! don't know why I have posted twice on this. I certainly did not enter "submit reply" on the first one. :confused:

then again: a friend of my daughter is a bit forgetful, she describes herself as "a goldfish with Alzeiheimer".

Esentziak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

esentziak!
    i liked, nous essayons notre meilleur:)

and it's an excellent way to me, to know how english people would tell it:p

Actually, I am French but I have lived outside France for so long that my French is becoming just "passable".:D

Je reve meme an anglais maintenant.

Ca ne fait rien, je me debrouilles (est-ce qu'il y a un "S" a la fin?) toujours quand meme, mais pour les accents, je n'ai pas la patience!

Esentziak

non, le S à la fin d'un verbe se met qu'à la deuxième personne du singulier.:)

Originally posted by lili
    to know how english people would tell it:p

.. and us Irish people too ;)

to say something (to someone) <peut exister sans quelqu'un, mais il faut avoir <<quelque chose>>
    to tell somebody (something) <peut exister sans 'quelque chose', mais il faut avoir un sujet <<quelqu'un>>.

donc..

to know how English (or Irish :)) people would say it.

damn!
    i knew it!
    but i always make this mistake:)
    is irish very different than english?

Irish is very different to English.

"Salut. Comment ça va? Je m'appelle Michael et je suis irlandais."
    (en anglais)
    Hello. How are you? My name is Michael and I'm Irish.
    (en irlandais)
    Hallo. Cad é mar atá tu? Mícheál is ainm dom agus is Éireannach mise.

I think you were confusing "English people" with English-speaking people (just like "French people = les Français", but "French-speaking people = Francophones").

how irish is bizarre!
    sound like latin language:eek:
    but, what language do you use at school? sorry if that sound stupid but since not so far, i though that irish people spoken a pure english with an accent.

(tell me for spoken, i'm really not sure it was the good time i used:))

Ça dépend.. c'est comme la situation en Bretagne - il y a des lieux ou on parle la langue bretonne à la maison. Par hasard, le breton et l'irlandais sont cousins :)

La plupart des irlandais sont locateurs natifs de l'anglais. Il y a certains comptés qui contiennent des lieux où la langue native de la population générale est l'irlandais, ces lieux s'appellent <<Gaeltacht>>.

The button just left of the 1 on your keyboard is a handy way of doing quick accents. Push it (nothing happens) then type a vowel. I got these ones:

J'ai essaye sur mon portable, mais ca ne marche pas. Quand j'appuiye sur ce bouton, j'obtien un accent grave, (donc, pas de "nothing happens") et la lettre que je tape apres n'a pas d'accent.

Est-ce que ca depends de la marque de l'ordinateur ou du portable?

J'ai un Sony Viao.

Esentziak

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

With Windows if you choose you're input language "English (Ireland)" then you can get:
    les accents graves avec "Alt Gr" et la lettres:
    áéóúí (not all of these are used in French though)
    Et pour les accents aigus, avec la touche coincée entre le "esc" "1" et "Tab", appuyez d'abord sur la touche et ensuite la lettre à accentuée:
    àùèòì (same as before not all are used in French...)

This is more easier to do that on a laptop keyboard than the ALT + Number...

Il manque encore la cedille, les accents circonflexe et le trema!

Raphael (oui il manque le trema!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

you can also do accents aigus (forgive spelling if wrong, svp) by simultaneously pressing Ctrl, Alt and for example 'a' gives you á.

Very handy if you have an Irish name with a fada in it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 neadla

I printed out the symbols and my laptop has Windows XL and they don't seem to work. Is there any other way they might work.

I would appreciate a responce as it would be very helpful as I'm doing an MA in French at the mo.
    Please reply as soon as possible!!
    Cheers,

A plus,

neadla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 neadla

Characters don't seem to work on my laptop. It's a brand new one though, so it should. Any suggestions?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Neadla,

I realise this may be a nuisance for an MA thesis but what I usually do if I'm doing a lot in French is put them in the clipboard.

If you are using Word, you should be able to go to the Insert Menu, select Symbol and find the characters in there. Put them in a document and do a copy and paste. Realistically you should find out why the Alt-Gr or control options are not working for you. I'm assuming you're using Win XP and most versions of Word allow you to configure your own keyboard short cuts.

Let me know if you have still got problems.

Edit: when you highlight the accented letter in the symbol menu, there should, in the bottom LH corner of that dialogue box, be an indication of what the current short cut key is. This might be a place to start looking as to why they are not working. Also, check your keyboard layout - I'm not an expert on this but if it's set to English (US) that might be a factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭ambro25

Calina wrote:
    If you are using Word (...)

Encore plus simple: if you're using Office XP (aka 2003), you can permanently shortcut the most-used accented vowels (and others, such as "ç" and the like) to the 'F' keys (F1, F2, F3, etc...). Can't remember how exactly, but it's in there, as I do translations regularly and this feature has been a lifesaver (in addition to *working* voice recognition software :D ).

For reference, I've mapped:

F2 - é
    F3 - è
    F4 - ê

F5 - à
    F6 - ç
    F7 - ô
    F8 - ù

Works a treat, once you've mapped your own brain to this arrangement through use (or stickie'd symbols on the keys)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

ambro25 wrote:
    Encore plus simple: if you're using Office XP (aka 2003), you can permanently shortcut the most-used accented vowels (and others, such as "ç" and the like) to the 'F' keys (F1, F2, F3, etc...). Can't remember how exactly, but it's in there, as I do translations regularly and this feature has been a lifesaver (in addition to *working* voice recognition software :D ).

For reference, I've mapped:

F2 - é
    F3 - è
    F4 - ê

F5 - à
    F6 - ç
    F7 - ô
    F8 - ù

Works a treat, once you've mapped your own brain to this arrangement through use (or stickie'd symbols on the keys)

That's brilliant. I didn't know that - it will be sorted out at home (don't yet have XP at work)

Calina wrote:
    Neadla,

(...)

Edit: when you highlight the accented letter in the symbol menu, there should, in the bottom LH corner of that dialogue box, be an indication of what the current short cut key is. This might be a place to start looking as to why they are not working. Also, check your keyboard layout - I'm not an expert on this but if it's set to English (US) that might be a factor too.

Calina,

As a matter of fact, I think (from my -very- imperfect memory) that it's in there somewhere that you assign the bindings.

Alt > I(nsert) > S(ymbol) and once you've got the symbol table up, look to the bottom of the pop-up menu/window/box... methinks :confused:

I'll have a quick look at home tonight and if you can't find it, just post in here & I'll reply with details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

how do you enter that exactly? whenever I push alt it activates the title bar?

but then this keyboard isn't excelling, its set up for american english i suspect.

And a nearly year on...

Keyboard regional setting has nothing to with it.

You maintain the 'ALT' key pressed down, while you type in the combination of numbers on the keypad, then release all keys together, and voilà.

example/try this at home: à = press 'ALT' first, keep it pressed and type '389' on numeric keypad, release all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

D'abord si l'on veut faire que des accents aigus et graves:-

Avec le clavier Microsoft ordinaire en langue Anglais (Irlandais) -

Pour faire é : Juste pressez et maintenez à terre les touches CTRL et ALT alors qu'on presse la touche "e".

Pour faire è : Juste pressez la touche "`" (i.e. la touche au dessus de TAB) avant de presser "e".

o

Si l'on veut de faire tous des accents, e.g. pour écrire une lettre/email francaise, on peut changer la langue et le clavier sur la barre de tache et alors utilisez l'image du clavier Microsoft francais

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/kfrench.asp

en fenetre séparée pour selectionner les touches.

Bon Courage !

P.S. Chacun(e) sache-t-il/elle des autres trucs simples pour faire les circonflex, les umlauts, les cedilles, etc sur le clavier Microsoft sans changer la langue ?
    Si oui, ne gardez-le pas un secret . . .

Advertisement